1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rocket Trade Ideas 2018-19

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 7, 2018.

1. fattz

fattz Member

Small trade:

Holmes & Melton
    For
    Qi & 2nd round pick

Suns are in the tank —> Qi can open the floor for their rookie center.

Rox get a serviceable big and solid combo guard project.

2. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Not sure if this has been proposed with the Butler rumors, but I think Washington would be a good 3rd party to get involved. They're a mess right now, and I could see them moving any of their 3 high-paid perimeter players. I have Porter in this one because Oubre is developing behind him and Porter seems like the type of veteran that Thibs/Minnesota would want and could use.

MIN out: Butler, Dieng
    MIN in: Porter Jr, Chriss, One HOU 1st
    - Porter is the type of defensive 3/4 that would help out KAT/Wiggins and a team that struggles from 3 and defensively. They still get a pick out of it as well.

WAS out: Porter
    WAS in: Dieng, Knight, Three HOU 1sts
    - Oubre moves into the starting lineup, Dieng will likely get minutes, Knight is expiring, and they get a handful of future picks.

HOU in: Butler
    HOU out: Knight, Chriss, Four Protected 1sts
    - The odds of us getting Butler without EG is low if we're strictly dealing with Minny, but with Porter as the "jewel" for the Wolves, we might be able to steal him.

3. fattz

fattz Member

Washington / Houston

Beal / Porter
    For
    Paul / Knight

Washington and us mix things up because of our slow starts. They get leadership and cap relief and we get fresh start with some underachieving talent.

4. HealthyHamstring

Houston Gets:
    Danilo Gallinari

Clippers Get:
    Terrence Ross (Expiring 10.5)
    Marquese Chriss

Orlando Gets:
    Brandon Knight
    Houston 1st Round Pick

Houston gets another play-maker and some much needed front-court depth
    Clippers get off Gallinari's contract for next year opening up an additional $20 million for this off season
    Orlando turns Terrence Ross' expiring into a 1st and potential starting PG

ilias, snowconeman22 and jch1911 like this.
  5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Ah I was looking for this thread .

I've got a few I'd like feedback on .

1) Chriss , knight , FRP to ATL for bazemore ... pretty simple . I can see the appeal for both teams . ATL cuts salary and gets a pick , we get a much better player . Can ATL really get more than that for baze ?

2) Chriss , knight , undetermined # of picks to NYK for Hardaway Jr . Knicks cut salary , gain draft considerations , we get a good player . Same formula , the player we are getting is probably better than bazemore but also has a longer contract and may not fit quite as well (on the surface ) . Are the knicks tanking again ? Would they do this ? How many picks would we have to give up and would that be too many ?

3) Chriss , knight , and nene , (maybe a FRP) to Dallas for Harrison Barnes . This is a wild one but I think it makes sense . Dal cuts salary ... nene gets bought out , so they save both money and cap space . We Probsbly need to throw in a pick here . We get an overpaid player ... but he's better than what we have .... and who knows ... he might be good once he goes back to this sort of role . He played well enough in this role in GS to earn that contract .

Obviously one of those moves isn't enough to put us anywhere ... but right now we desperately need that 2/3/4 guy who can help lighten the load on our wings and forwards .

Also , things start looking a lot different if we pull the trigger on one of those trades (say bazemore ) AND manage to get back Ariza .

Corrosion likes this.
  6. aroundtheblock2

Yeah Bazemore is the only guy that's available that makes a lot of sense for this team.

7. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I could be wrong but I don’t get the vibe Atlanta are desperate to unload Bazemore. I get it, they’re losing so why not trade guys for picks, but they would be taking on Knight’s contract, and as a player he would be absolutely useless for them. Baze isn’t having a horrible season, doesn’t seem to be a bad influence, and is actually probably a positive impact in the Hawks’ locker room. They did the whole bad contract thing this past summer with Melo, they’re not going to continuously do that. Gotta pay someone.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  8. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

What if this whole time, the Rockets told the Suns to sign Ariza so they could dump salary later and the Suns could pick up a first. He is mysteriously away from the team right now with personal issues. I know he can’t be traded for a few more weeks, but Ariza for Knight and a first works out perfectly....

9. aroundtheblock2

They made him available during the offseason.

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't think Bazemore moves the needle and don't want any part of Hardaway Jr but I think you are onto something with Barnes , he's a solid player - not a superstar but a very good player. Don't have a clue of Dallas would part with him … but I believe it would be hard to find a better player that fills the teams needs tho he's not shooting up to his career average from 3 this year , I wonder if that's just playing on a bad team or ….

He'd most certainly put the team deep into the tax …. would Tilman pay it ? What assets would it take to get him ?

11. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The tax burden would mainly be for next year given that to get him we'd have to give up near equivalent salary this year .

I really don't think it would take that much to get him. Dallas is clearly rebuilding / re tooling . And if we traded nene , knight and Chriss to get him .... assuming nene is bought out then we've saved Dallas 10 mil (not counting luxury tax ) next year . Maybe that and a FRP is enough .

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I was thinking Knight , Chris and Zhou Qi … but don't know if they really want Knights contract on the books next year. It may take a first rounder to move that contract this season , so were likely talking two #1's to make this happen. Also unsure on Nene being bought out with another year - that seems like a next year type move.

That is assuming Dallas is willing to deal.

13. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I mean, maybe. It’s the off-season. Yeah I don’t doubt they explored roster changes and naturally his name will come up. But the fact is he wasn’t traded.

If he only had 1 year remaining then he’d definitely be a candidate to offload for a first rounder. But for them to take back Knights remaining years there’s no point.

The Hawks are bad enough where they can play hard and the right way and still lose games. That’s better than losing because they’re only playing rookies and offloading all their vets. Young guys like Trae and Prince will grow the right way, and they’ll get another high lottery pick.

14. fattz

fattz Member

More random trades:

Aaron Gordon, E Fournier & J Grant
    For
    Paul, Chriss & FRP

Orlando gets a face to their franchise we round out our team around Harden.

#194 fattz, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

How about:

Chriss to Washington
    Tomas Satoransky to Rockets

Simple trade. Give the Rockets another ball handler with size (6'7"). Can play backup PG and be a secondary creator on the floor.

jch1911 likes this.
  16. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Only if Wizards GM brainfarts. (which he has shown the propensity to do). Satoransky would be a great add - could back up 1 - 3.

17. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

HOU IN: Clarkson, JR Smith
    CLE IN: Nene, Chriss, Knight, 1 first round and 2 second round picks

Rockets do it for some obvious reasons but they would also be taking on two contracts that could help get a Hayward deal done as well.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Now that the Wolves have Saric, perhaps Anthony Tolliver is available. 3pt shooting PF.

He just got a DNP-CD last night. Doesn't sound happy. 5.75M expiring. @Codman

19. Juxtaposed Jolt

In the tweet, you could easily replace Anthony Tolliver with "Carmelo Anthony" and "been one game" with "been twelve games" :eek:

20. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I don’t think the Rockets would be interested in either of those reasons. JR would be a distraction. Clarkson is not very good. We’re losing picks. And we’re not sure we want Hayward