1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Astros Trade Ideas

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HeyBudLetsParty, Jun 11, 2012.

1. HeyBudLetsParty

Here are the rules of the "Random Trade Idea" thread.

1) Keep your trade ideas realistic. We all know why the Rockets would want Bryce Harper ... but try to ask the question "Why does it make sense for the other team?"

2) Don't be a jerk. There are going to be unrealistic scenarios posted ... just point out to them why it couldn't happen, if you feel so inclined. Report the post as ludicrous if you must, but don't nuke the poster and call them names. It spirals the thread down.

All get it started
    Houston Trades: Wandy Rodriguez
    Houston Gets: (Mia) AA Christian Yeilch, 2 Lower level project prospects

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I actually do not believe the Rockets would want Bryce Harper.

1 person likes this.
  3. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Yeah...he can probably hit the outside jumper, but his handles and rebounding are probably a little suspect.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I consider myself to be a gigantic baseball fan, but I don't know enough about other teams' minor league talent to propose a reasonable trade I'm interested in the Astros making at this point.

5. conquistador#11

singleton, springer and correa to the rangers for future prospects in 2030.
    We won't be winning a world series until maybe 20 years. so why even try.

Regards,
    depressing astro fan who posts on the interwebs.

1 person likes this.
  6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

if i could give negative feedback, i would. we're going to surprise the rangers. and after 38 years of being an astros fan, i can damn well say "we" when i refer to them.

7. juicystream

Astros: Carlos Lee + $8M

Giants: Half eaten bag of Doritos

8. HeyBudLetsParty

Haha my bad

9. conquistador#11

i'm with you. my post was not a serious one. I was making fun at the pessimists in the astros forum. :p

10. juicystream

Wandy Rodriguez for either:

Detroit: Casey Crosby, LHP & Adam Wilk, LHP
    Baltimore: Scott Barnes, LHP & Zach McAllister, RHP

11. raining threes

Wandy + Lyon + $$$$ for Travis d'Arnuad

12. juicystream

Would never happen, but:

Astros Receive: Barry Zito, Erick Surkamp, Conor Gillaspie, Clayton Blackburn, Kyle Crick, Tommy Joseph, Heath Hembree
    Giants Receive: Carlos Lee, J.A. Happ

Essentially we'd be paying $27M for 6 prospects

:grin:

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

while the above trade is unrealistic, i think the plausible scenario to explore is taking on a terrible contract. Can anyone name a lot of those (such as Zito)?

Given (as discussed in other threads) that once guys expire this year, our expected payroll is going to be sub $30 mil or whatever it is, we can absorb one or 2 giant contracts for the next 2-3 years if it means we get great returns in trades.

When you realize that no one's going to be up for year 2 arbitration money in the next few years except Lowrie (at least no one that will command a ton)....we could pull something like that off and do great in the future without completely killing us financially.

(And who knows, those guys might be tradeable when they get to their final years)

Just a thought.. something we wouldn't normally explore because normally the bad contracts are so crippling that it's really tough to assume we could do it

14. juicystream

I'm trying to think if I've ever seen a team trade a bad contract with prospects to get rid of the contract. It makes so much sense, and it happens in the NBA.

As for my trade. I don't think either team does it. I don't see a team paying that kind of money for guys that aren't big time prospects, and I don't see a team gutting their system to save money.

15. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Wendy Rodriguez to Detroit for Doug Fister and a prospect or two.

16. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

I don't think Detroit would even do Fister for Wandy straight up? Fister has been money since showing up in Motor City.

17. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

That is...when Fister has been healthy. I watched him extensively when he pitched for Seattle. He would be awesome for a few starts and then he would go through a rough stretch. That being said, I would love for us to trade for Fister.

18. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I'll take Singleton, Springer and Correa over Moreland, Gentry and Andrus in 2-3 years.

19. Grandpappy

Grandpappy Member

I sure as hell hope you right man. :grin:

20. jdh008

jdh008 Member

How much do you think Fister would be hurt by a move to Minute Maid, though? He's a pitch to contact guy and both Safeco and Comerica are pitcher-friendly parks. IIRC, Seattle also put a big emphasis on bringing in guys that graded well in the advanced defensive metrics. Granted, Minute Maid isn't as extreme a hitter's park as many had feared it would be, but it's certainly not pitcher-friendly.