1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ran into TJ Ford

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by runninhorns, Jun 2, 2005.

1. runninhorns

runninhorns Rookie

why not pick up TJ as a point? he can dish the ball and push the tempo. he said he would love to play for the Rockets. He was playing ball with Saun Rogers (Detroit Lions Defensive Tackle, both from UT) at 24 hr fitness off of Voss and San Felipe. He said he'd love to play with Tmac and Yao. We can get him cheap. Although he may not be the best point, he's an upgrade to what we have.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

While he's a nice player and intriguing, I don't know if we're a good fit for him, we need guards who defend & shoot from long range, neither of which was his strong suit, I think his talents probably wouldn't be utilized that well here, though the thought of him P&R'ng with Yao would be cool.

3. micah1j

micah1j Member

Considering he is under contract with the Bucks - how are we supposed to "pick him up"?

4. Man

Man Contributing Member

I like him because he is from here...but I don't think he can shoot..and a little bit small.

5. Believe

Believe Contributing Member

Are you kidding me? A healthy TJ Ford would be sweet! Do not know if he is going to be healthy any time soon but he is a TRUE point who given time could run any team. If Mil wanted to trade him I would look into it. Of course only if he was healthy.

6. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Milwaukee's not just going to let him go. We can't get him "for cheap," I don't know what gave you that idea.

7. FranchiseBoi86

I disagree...we need a point guard who can get the ball to Yao in the post consistently. TJ's the man.

8. tested911

tested911 Member

Tj Ford is Steve Nash without the Hair and half the offense.

Still verygood... Can Pass, Dish, Steal Run around folks :) what more can you ask for .

9. T_in_Charlotte

T_in_Charlotte Contributing Member

I like the idea, but no way we take a chance on him until we know that back is 100%

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

A guy who is available?

11. SamFisher

Well, the role of both rockets guards the past two seasons under JVG has been to shoot 3 pointers and play defense, that's pretty apparent, and I think he's said as much himself on a number of occasions. You can disagree, but the evidence speaks for itself (remember Mark Jackson's stint? Great passer, but couldn't shoot or defend for ****, and correspondingly teams doubled off him, and the result was a brick on almost every occasion). As far as throwing an entry pass goes, anybody at the pro level can do that, it's not as hard as people here seem to believe, despite the way it sometimes appears.

#11 SamFisher, Jun 2, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2005
  12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Coaches will mold their offenses to fit the strengths of the personnel. Ford is a guy you want on the floor, so the schemes would change to accomodate him. Of course, as has been mentioned, he's a Buck. We may want to trade for him if he was healthy, but then if he were healthy the Bucks would want to keep him.

13. DanTanna

DanTanna Contributing Member

TJ has done what in the pro's???? He has to prove he has NBA talent - actually during the season - before I would want the rockets to try to get him.

14. Toast

Toast Member

For one, do you REALLY wanna take a flyer on a guy who's back kept him out for a season & a half?

Second, there's no way he could play defense in our system, 'cause he's too small. We do lots of rotating and he'd get exposed.

That said, I like the guy. I particularly like his TX ties. When he was playing, I liked his game. I wish him well ... when he's not playing against the Rockets.

15. SamFisher

JVG molded his offense to fit Yao, McGrady, certain special players, he didn't do it for Francis, and he's not going to do it for Ford - plus you can't exactly mold your defense in the same way.

16. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

He had a very, very nice rookie campaign before he injured his neck. The Bucks fell apart when they lost him.

Look at how bad they were this year without him, coming off a playoff season.

17. Pezmonger

Pezmonger Member

What is the extent of TJ's injury? I thought it was genetic...a small spinal cavity or something like that. Also, didn't he suffer a similar injury in a pickup game prior to entering the NBA?

18. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

I can still remember playing him in Sugar Land. 5 on 5 when he was still in High school. Boy was he quick back than and now he maybe even better. He showed great shooting ability against us when we played him, but what do i know i am not a defensive stopper like in NBA. Anyway getting TJ would def help us, him and MJ can make the solution to our PG situation.

19. thatboyz

thatboyz Contributing Member

He goes to Life Time Fitness in First Colony quite often...I've seen him there a few times. He looks too short and too scrawny to hang around for the long haul in the NBA.

20. sydmill

sydmill Member

no way in hell the Bucks are going to move TJ. Seriously, this guy WILL lead the league in assists once he gets back on the court. TJ plus Marvin Williams and another lottery pick next year is a really good nucleus to build around.