1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rafer has got to be the SOFTEST starting PG in the league!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets-R-Us, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

This is the first thread I've started in years, but I'm so disgusted with Rafer Alston (and indeed most of our team right now) that I just can't stand it.

When Tracy or Yao (and especially when both) have an outstanding shooting night, it covers up a LOT of issues with the team. And we usually have such outstanding TEAM defense, that it too covers for individual mistakes, especially against average to subpar teams.

However I am SICK and TIRED of watching us get our asses handed to us courtesy of Rafer's weak-ass defense and even more questionable offensive skills.

I would hazard a guess that even a few of those reading this thread could, on some nights, hit 3-5 wide open 3's, and also find the guy whose man is busy double-teaming Yao or Tracy.

I know I could even make a pass to Shane or Tracy and get an assist out it. What Rafer is unwilling to do is MAN-UP with his body, to use ANY kind of muscle to play defense. The guy acts like he's cradling an egg his defense is so soft.

Rafer, and subsequently, our defense against teams with a decent penetrating PG and even a modicum of a perimeter game (Dallas/Phoenix anyone) is shredded when he's on the court. Guess which other teams we struggle against... Oh yeah, it's the teams with aggressive, physical, defensive PG's.

Sadly, Luther cant' dribble to save his own life, and JL3 is the size of my garden gnome, but this last stretch of losses is indicative that teams have exploited Rafer's inability/lack of heart on defense and have physically dominated us by daring Rafer to penetrate (which he's also clearly fearful of doing as indicated by consistently avoiding contact and lofting that floating turd up to clang off the rim repeatedly) or to shoot the Trey which, despite his percentage is NOT a good thing for the ROX.

The only reason we won in Denver was because of Deke doing his Superman routine and because the Nuggets stunk up the gym with their shooting percentage.

If we do ANYTHING in the offseason, it's GOT to be finding a REAL NBA starting PG. Why else would we have been shopping for a PG as the All Star break arrived? Rafer will be our downfall this post-season, because he does not play the game hard enough when it comes right down to it.

I see everyone on our team taking charges and hitting the floor on loose balls, except for Rafer. Where's he? He's ushering his man into the paint to dish or score at will.

I'm happy that Yao is back, and I'm sure we'll get on a little bit of a roll as he does, but unless and until Yao and Tracy remember how to co-exist on the court on offense and Rafer grows a heart on defense, we're going to struggle.

As I said, this is my first thread in a LONG time, and I only bother when I'm exasperated. So, let the flaming begin.

2. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Kidd anyone?

3. rocketsmetalspd

No flaming here. What else is there to say but the Rockets have made their bed with Rafer being the starting PG not much to do there. The only way to help out with what the Rockets have is either to start letting VSpan be the backup PG or to go out and get a veteran PG but what is out there that can fill the void?

4. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Rod Strickland FTW

5. PumperX

PumperX Contributing Member

Occasionally Rafer reminds me flashes of Francis. Not very high basketball IQ, careless turnovers, jack up shots after shots whenever he feels like it. Sometimes you love him, but most of the nights you really hate him. I never doubt his heart, but I do doubt his talent. This team will NOT reach the next level with Rafer. As simple as that.

6. tsunami

tsunami Member

money please... and trade whom to get him?

7. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

riiiiiight, Rafer is the single reason of our recent losses...why didn't you just throw this post in with the other rafer-hating threads?

There are plenty of reasons for the losses. Rafer is one of them, so is poor shooting on everyone's parts, missing defensive assignments, bad decisions, turnovers, missed FT's, etc. etc.

Just my view on things of course, but vent/hate away.

8. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

he doesnt take it to hoop. he shoots the floater. he cant take a hit

9. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

Bad Shooting, Missing Defensive Assignments....

HELLOOOOO. Who on this team does both of those things more than ANYONE else? When Rafer's opposite blows by him, the pressure is on our bigs to collapse, meaning wide open perimeter shots against us, or worse, drives to the rim that put our bigs in foul trouble.

All is well when Tracy's on, and we're not playing catch-up, but if Tracy's not on, we don't have anyone capable of putting pressure on the other team using the DRIBBLE & DRIVE!!!.

THAT'S THE FREAKIN DEFINITION OF A POINT GUARD!!!!

I'm 45 with LOTS of knee surgery and I feel like I could play D with more heart than Rafer does. And I can't believe he's not chewed out regularly for that crap he floats over bigs on the rare occasions when he does go to the rim. He's a liability on D and FAR too inconsistent on O.

10. ShakeYoHipsYao

No they couldn't.

No you couldn't.

Stop the lies.

11. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

i could...

12. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

Great post. Well written and most importantly very true. Alston is a TERRIBLE fit for this team and quite frankly I'm not sure he would be a good fit on any team.

13. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Heh I bet none of us here could do ANYTHING right on that court, regardless of how much we play basketball, unless we got some secret NBA members on here or college superstars or something.

Though it may not look like it, everyone of those guys are insane ballers and have so much talent that doesn't even show through in a real game because of the intensity and the situation. Not to mention their athleticism.

There are so many people in the world that will never get close to the talent level of guys in the NBA, yet there are so many people in the NBA that can't touch the talent level of guys like LeBron, T-Mac, Kobe, Wade, Nash, and yes, even Nowitzki, etc.

It's almost unfair. That's how good these guys are.

Although regardless of that it's true Rafer should have stuck to street ball because he had some of the best handles in the world as Skip To My Lou.

14. bchapman101

bchapman101 Contributing Member

and have you all noticed that Rafer is pretty big, I mean muscular, especially in the arms, but is still softer than a Rabbit's b*lls.

15. rocket3forlife2

We need a big time up grade at the point this offseason, but how I do not know.

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Imagine if we had Billups...other than Nash, I could hardly imagine a more perfect complement to Yao and T-Mac.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

We don't even need a Kidd caliber PG. Simply someone who plays D, shoots reliably, and doesn't mess up would suffice. I wish Battier was 6'4" with better dribbles, hell he doesn't even need extra court vision.

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

true, but then who would play SF? ;)

i wish we had 3 shane battier's.

a 6'4, 200lbs version with a handle. a 6'10, 240lbs version of the one we have now, and of course, the one we have now.

what a team!

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Watching Rafer is painful. Watching any of our guards is painful.

Someone mentioned Kidd. Too old, too expensive.

I still say Andre Miller would be the answer, but won't happen, unless Rafer + Sura's expiring + etc etc would do the trick.

And that's what it will come down to. We have no reliable point guard, and until we do, we will be a one-and-done sort of playoff team.

20. cs_eric

cs_eric Member

Come on, topic with weak Rafer again.

I think he is the best one we can get with that salary, yes his shoot is poor, so what? He is already in the Rockets system! He can safely keep the ball from back to the front, and he has steals, his pass, well, I think will be better if Yao is there, and he will get more chances to shoot 3p without anyone is standing in front when everyone is focus on Yao's offence.