1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Racist Chinese Laundry Detergent Commercial

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, May 27, 2016.

1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Fair enough, no more coolie references.

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Both commercials are racist. But in both nations they don't have the same history of discrimination against blacks that exists in the United States. So I think over there, it is racist, but also not as big of a deal. When people here look at it, there is a whole lot more attached to it.

But I don't get where you're coming from with the victim mentality. Something that is against the victim mentality is taking a stand. That's the way to move beyond any kind of victims' mentality. Just sucking it up, and realizing it's wrong, but not saying a word, is feeding into the victim's mentality.

I don't think many people are making that big of deal out of the ads from either country, except to point it out for what it is.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I've seen nothing more about it other than discussion in comments sections and social media. Twitter, Facebook, etc etc...

I mean, I don't know if that really counts as an overreaction to anything. I've seen more of an outcry about this character's butt pose in a video game...

[​IMG]

If someone pounds out a short tweet about how "Look at this racist commercial smh." it's not whining, it's what people do on twitter.

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

So will you join me in taking a stand against actual problems in the world, like being in favor of killing apostates and gay people, stoning adulterers and discriminating women?

You know...something that hundreds of millions of followers of a certain religious ideology believe in?

What do you think is a bigger problem for humanity...some random Chinese company creating a non-PC and arguably racist commercial (however humorous it was meant to be), or a supremacist religious ideology promoting horrible "values" (or, rather, non-values), and hundreds of millions of people actually believing in these fascist ideals, and enough people at the fringe actually acting on them, and mass-murdering and raping civilians and people of other religious convictions?

When will you take a stand and speak up?

So far, all I have seen from you on that issue were some made-up statistics from a leftist/Islamist blog (I think it was called "loonwatch") which claim that almost all "terror attacks" were committed for other causes than Islam.

That is not exactly "taking a stand".

Actually, it's the opposite.

But to each his own. Feel free to be outraged about some random Chinese commercial.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That "whole lot more attached to it" is the victim mentality of some here. Those who have the victim mentality see the commercial and they see "the man" holding them down and other BS like that....others just see a commercial that was trying to be funny.

The "taking a stand" when it is completely unnecessary is absolutely in line with a victim's mentality, they always feel oppressed even and especially when it's not really happening. It's a persecution complex and a lot of people of all races, sexes, and backgrounds are slaves to it. Mentally stronger people don't have that problem and that's what IMO we as humans should strive for.

6. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I've already spoken out against that.

I'm not in favor of anything that is against enlightenment. Those are bigger issues than Italian and Chinese commercials. I don't deny it at all.

But that doesn't mean that one can't point out racism anytime it occurs even it isn't the most serious issue on the planet at the moment.

I've mentioned several times before the words from a survivor of the WWII Nazi concentration camps who says that ignoring the discrimination and dehumanization of slights against the Jewish people was every bit as at fault for what happened as Hitler. His point was that because nobody said anything for centuries of anti-Jewish rhetoric made it possible for Hitler's message to be accepted. Without that acceptance there would have never been a holocaust.

Nobody thought jokes, and remarks about Jews pinching pennies was serious. Sure it reenforced a stereotype, but people ignored it tried to move on with their lives.

Then when Hitler and others started spreading their anti-Jewish message, people thought it made sense because after all they were controlling all the finances, and blah, blah, blah.

That is what this survivor believed, and he changed my perspective on the matter. Negative stereo-types, no matter how harmless they may seem, should be addressed and called out.

That isn't the priority over stopping those that are willing to put homosexuals to death and deny woman the right to an education and plenty of their other rights, but it doesn't mean it isn't worth pointing out.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The African American community in China is known to have severe discrimination against them. Racism is alive and well over there and in many ways tolerated. So when you say it's not as big of a deal over there - that may only because blacks are already so marginalized?

I think the question here is does negative stereotypes have a place in media?

8. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Whatever discrimination there is there, isn't the same as 400 years of slavery, and denial of rights that every single other person was allowed to have, prevention of access to education for that length of time, all while ignoring the contributions to the culture and society made by the African and African descended populations.

It's not okay, and it isn't good, but it isn't the same, most Chinese aren't aware of it, while anyone can see it's a racial stereotype, it isn't another piece to pile onto the large amount that has already been done.

Furthermore, I think that those in the U.S. that attach their own justifiable objections to the commercial are doing it out of context with the locations in which both commercials were produced.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This is spot on. Propaganda played a huge role in Nazi Germany and also the old days when racism was prevalent and the norm.

Then, ads like those shown were common and it helped reinforced those ideas and make them accepted.

As for humor well...it just quite simply better be funny, if it's not then it may offend people. That's the risk you take with comedy right? You don't visit your GFs parents and make some crude joke about one of her family members without it being a risk that it may just come off as insulting and not funny.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Good post. Agreed.

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Dude, you're beyond clueless. You're equating beer gate, Travon Martin, and Ferguson as examples of racism that needs to be pointed out. The problem with pointing out racism with the overly sensitive like yourself is that racism is often not the motivator. You have been on the forefront of all these issue decrying racism, but there has not been a single bit of solid evidence that suggest such.

Then you have the nerve to equate it to antisemitism in the 20's and 30's. Here is a culture shock for you; Antisemitism was very strong back then. It it wasn't little snickering jokes like calling jews penny pinchers. There was very open hate towards jews.

Life has never been perfect and never will be perfect. There will always be bigotry. There are times to call BS on some circumstances, however we shouldn't be looking for the racial boogieman where he doesn't exist. You sir, are one of those who think everyone is out to get them.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah.....so to be clear you are saying this commercial isn't even slightly racist?

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's saying that certain people are hammers thinking they see nails everywhere. It's fairly accurate.

14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

There is a lot that is mistaken or wrong about this post. I didn't mention beer gate, or Trayvon Martin in this case at all.

When I was talking about what was going on in the 20's and 30's is reporting what I was told personally from a Jewish survivor of the holocaust. He was a man who was in a concentration camp and lived to tell about it. Sorry, whatever you think it was like then, doesn't trump this man and his experience.

At the time there was some strong Anti-semitism. But the average person wasn't actively anti-semitic. But they would hear the jokes, and read the literature, and think it wasn't a big deal, because they didn't really do anything against the Jews, and most of the people they knew didn't do actively try and harm Jewish people.

But they also weren't calling out the bigoted jokes, literature, and presentation of stereotypes alive in the media of the day, or that had been going on for hundreds of years. So when Hitler came used his message, it was that much easier for people who weren't really against Jewish folks to fall in line.

Yes, there were more active movements and people carrying out discriminatory acts agains Jewish folks out there, but those doing that weren't the majority. His own words were that just like today there are small percentages of people who are in groups that are very active in their discrimination. But those groups aren't the ones that made it possible for Hitler to succeed. It was everyone else who never called out the bigotry, and stereotypes, that allowed it to fester and dehumanize the Jewish people even in the United States, that contributed to the severity and tragedy of the Holocaust.

As far as the motivations of people in certain events, you don't have any more knowledge than anyone else about what caused them. So for you to say that anything that I've called out as racist is motivated by something else, is nothing more than you assuming that to be the case.

It's possible for people to have called out against racism, when there wasn't actually racism present. If so, that's too bad. It certainly isn't a good thing to lash out against racism when none is present. We should all be careful to make sure that doesn't happen. But it doesn't mean that we people should be silenced and not call it out where it does exist.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Is the video racist, yes or no?

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I mean maybe, but it's such a stupid thing to get worked up about. Chappelle's Show was constantly as racist or more racist than this commercial and people didn't freak out about it. Hell the Italian version is a lot more outwardly racist than the Chinese version.....but it's no surprise which one causes people to wet themselves.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well I ask because he said it doesn't exist here, so that means it shouldn't be called out.

Also, I don't think anyone is freaking out over this. Again, I've seen more of a freak out over a character and her butt pose. Petitions and everything.

This is how 2016 works. Every story people have a opinion on. That's all that's happening. There have been no petitions, riots, marches, just people discussing it.

Guess I just don't see the freak out.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The thing is that it's not even worth a thread to begin with. It was an attempt at a funny commercial and it was just another version of a similar and worse commercial that no one cared about.

It's not reminiscent of Nazi Germany, it's not reminiscent of slavery era racism. It's just a tacky foreign commercial.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think discrimination in China again blacks currently is far more pervasive and severe than here in the U.S. at this time. Not compared to the past, but today, right now, I think trying to make it in China as a black man would be far more challenging than the US from a discriminatory standpoint.

So I think a commercial with a negative stereotype in China reflects the conventional thinking of most Chinese, which is why the outrage isn't there - it's the norm, where as here, the vast vast majority of people would agree it is in bad taste.

20. hvic

hvic Member

Im asian and I feel ashamed and embarrass by that video ad