1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RAC and the Defense

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rocket River, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

But RAC doesn't get a pass on this though. I just don't trust his defense for a whole game even when we did have Clowney and others.

Edit: sorry for the double post thought I was in another thread.

BigShasta and King1 like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Just ask yourself this....

How often do you see plays where you think "that is great play calling" with either.

It just feels often that when the Texans win, it is because of the players on the field..... when they lose, it seems like coaching is a big part of it.

I don't know what I would do exactly. I will say this though, I have ZERO confidence in them out coaching or play calling of scheming playoff opponents.

Losing to the Chiefs is one thing.... I expected the Chiefs to win and they were the better team going. However to be up 24-0 and to then give up 51 points in 3 quarters in a playoff game with a healthy team and a young franchise QB? That is really really tough to swallow. They are lucky the Ravens lost or the media pressure would be tremendous.

King1, joshuaao, juanm34 and 2 others like this.
  3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

How did that GM do in the last 6 drafts?

it is a trick question, since that BM, OBie, was not the GM in the last 6 drafts.

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

For the last two years, the Texans record is 11-5 and 10-6. In either year, did you really expect to do better than 8-8? especially this year with their schedule?

Last year with a completely **** OL and DBs, they post a winning record. I do not know how they did that. Maybe the credit goes to the players and the coaching staff?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. Damion Laverne

This defense is NOT talented.

One good linebacker (Cunningham)
    Awful secondary (young/dumb, old)
    No pass rush
    No depth

The scheme doesn't help, either

rhino17 and juanm34 like this.
  6. Major

Major Member

The offense had nothing close to a good game. They scored 7 points on 5 drives in the 2nd half. The team scored 24 in the first half - 14 of which was by defense and special teams. They had one good play early in the game and after that, basically did almost nothing.

ReliantTexan, juanm34 and Blatz like this.
  7. solid

solid Contributing Member

I am still trying to understand the defensive collapse. It was like KC was on the field by themselves. The Texans didn't try to use timeouts to slow down the Chiefs, or try go for broke strategies like different blitzes. It was like they were not only ineffective, it was like they just collapsed in all phases of the defensive game. I saw better defensive adjustments in the Texas High School playoffs. That's unacceptable. "TryHarder, clap, clap, clap" is not going to get it in an NFL playoff game. There has to be a better plan in place.I would hire a GM and clean house. The defense has to be rebuilt. The offense wasn't too stellar either, but there is a basic talent structure in place. Staying the same is not an option.

Rudyc281 and Blatz like this.
  8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Offense barely did jack sht to keep chiefs offense off the field.

Blatz and red5rocket like this.
  9. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

I agree with this 100%. The defense did EXACTLY what we thought our young inexperienced DB's would do against the league's most potent offense. What we didn't expect is for our offense to essentially lay ANOTHER egg in a big game. Let's look back on it....

Despite the Win-Loss record, our offense which has a 1,000 yard rusher, one of (if not the best) WR's, plus a franchise LT, has only scored over 30 twice this season (Not once after Week 6). This is despite playing against some of the Worst Pass defenses in the league this season (Oakland, Jacksonville twice, Tampa Bay, Tennessee twice, and of course Atlanta). In games against those teams after week 6 (all bottom 10 in the league in Passing Defense), we averaged 225 passing and 18 points. That's terrible. This is also including some games we were trailing big, so we had to pass to try and "come back". I put at least 80% of this on B.o.B.

Shroopy2 and Blatz like this.
  10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Only thing I could think of was blitz more
    but
    Dunno if that would have helped

Rocket River

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Couldn't have hurt

Rudyc281 and Rocket River like this.
  12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

John McClain on SR610 says that he thinks that Romeo Crennel will most likely retire. Additionally, when asked who he thinks might replace him, he put forth our current d-line coach, Anthony Weaver. To be clear, this was his personal opinion, not based on anything specific that he’s heard lately.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Oh God

14. Damion Laverne

LOL at the D-Line coach of the worst D-Line in the NFL becoming the next DC.

****ing pathetic

Rudyc281, red5rocket and Blatz like this.
  15. heads.up

heads.up Member

I'll leave these here...

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Sounds like BoB has the scapegoat.

Now time for him to bring another yes man as DC. BoB sucks at coaching but he's an expert at consolidating power.

17. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

One is not a scapegoat it they apart of the problem and RAC is. I don't care if he is fired or retires. He and Bill can catch the same flight out of here.
    I don't think I've ever felt comfortable in 3rd and long situations with our defense even when Clowney was here.

Jturbofuel and Rudyc281 like this.
  18. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I don't like the 3-4 as a base defense. Not when you end up playing Nickel most of the time. Broadly speaking, the role of a 3-4 lineman is to eat up blocks and allow the linebackers to make plays. They're generally not pass rushers. JJ Watt is just a freak and an exception which is why he's given the freedom to not necessarily follow the role of a typical 3-4 DE.

If you acquire linemen to fit a 3-4 scheme and you don't blitz often and you end up playing 4 linemen in Nickel, it's not surprising our DL isn't getting a lot of pressure on the QB. Reader, Blackson, Watkins, Omenihu, and Dunn aren't pass rushers.

There's your issue. We don't blitz and we don't have pass rushers on the DL outside of JJ.

Fire RAC. Bring in a DC who runs a 4-3 and get some linemen who can rush the QB.

Rudyc281 and HstnSprtsFan101 like this.
  19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

This 1000%

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Romeo must go.