1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Quotes from Chron] KillBill, CD and JVG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fegwu, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Excerpts from Chron

CD on Killbill's NBA adjustment curve
    Killbill on Killbill.
    Killbill on how he will fit in after watching 10-15 Rox games over the last 2 years.
    JVG on Killbill's adjustment and his inevitably delayed arrival to Houston.
    CD describing a lasting impression he has of Killbill
    JVG revealing how plan KillBill came about
    KB on the factor and honor of being the first Greek to make an NBA roster.

2. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

LMAO.

They handed away the 8th pick in the draft - what makes you guys so sure this 2nd rounder is going to get playing time?

3. german rocketfan

did they forget antonis fotsis? actually he played in memphis couple of years ago....

4. Laozi

Laozi Member

Now we can revisit all those old Rod Snyder "You lika de juice, eh?" sketches during Rocket's games.

5. Champ06

Champ06 Member

I don't like the way JVG put it which is still an honest but crude remark. I hope this will not lower the enthusiastic spirit of Killbill if he does read it.

6. GTO

GTO Member

What do we expect? That is JVG after all. ;)

7. Fegwu

I do not like it either.

The good news is that KB is a confident man - he does not consider himself a second rounder from the way he carries himself. JVG will definitely need to tone it down with him as well as JL3 and No-vak.

8. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

You guys are making too much of Van Gundy's remarks. Kill Bill will play if he shows he can play. If he's so mentally fragile that a coach's conservative estimate that it'll be a struggle to adjust to the NBA kills his confidence and enthusiasm, I doubt he's NBA material anyway. He's not some 16 year old girl.

Van Gundy didn't think Chuck had the size to play, but Chuck prove himself and he played. He also HATED the Camby trade in NY, but Camby learned and played. Hell, he even doubted Mutombo had much left in the tank in 04 (said maybe all he'd do is help increase Yao's confidence by being owned in practice), and Deke played and was flat out awesome.

9. Fegwu

Yep, it looks like you are right.

I am surprised KB does not know this. Fotsis played on 28 NBA games - I guess that is why people hardly remember him. This is my first time of hearing about him.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/antonis_fotsis/index.html

10. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

11. german rocketfan

Yeah, right... He was born in Georgia but raised in Greece. He holds dual citizenships...

Hmm... Strange. At least V-Span should know Fotsis...... :rolleyes:

12. munco

munco Member

wonder if he's miffed that the Rox didn't give James the deal that he wanted.

13. Champ06

Champ06 Member

'I don't like the remark' is quite different from 'making too much of it'. Be honest about it, JVG did make a lot of crude remarks in the past whether it's for the good or not. Nothing against JVG.

So, don't make too much of what I said about JVG. :D

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

what you said here:

"I hope this will not lower the enthusiastic spirit of Killbill if he does read it."

is making a big deal out of it. jvg makes a lot of comments but far too many people treat these grown men as children who can't possibly handle any criticism. reading these quotes i don't see anything that i think would even remotely offend vspan or anyone else.

15. Champ06

Champ06 Member

Well, at least I did not say 'destroy' or 'it will'. It is not a big deal to be concerned or hope that it will affect KillBill's spirit, it is part of a Rockets' fan's spirit.

16. Champ06

Champ06 Member

Edit: hope that it will not affect KillBill's spirit

17. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

yeah, efthimios rentzias was an nba player, too.

btw: ever visited crossover-online.de my fellow german rockets fan?

18. german rocketfan

right, he played 35 games for the 76ers back in 2002... so why forgot v-span all these players???? strange... :eek:

natürlich... bin da auch ab und an im forum (rockets team thread) "aktiv". aber erst seit ein paar wochen. wie sieht's mit dir aus? auch im forum "aktiv"?

19. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Actually, Chuck didn't play. Exept for busting his ass for a few spot minutes per game, Juwon gobbled up all the playing time.

20. johnkamla

johnkamla Contributing Member

VanGundier, good memory. I'm starting to think you might be the man himself. I'll admit it - I'm an old Knick fan from NY from the Ewing days. JVG just grew on me. I love his directness and WYSIWYG persona. No beating around the bush. Most of his players always seemed to appreciate it too. Tough-minded competitive guys thrive in that environment, while the extra sensitive wilt. Camby is the perfect example of a young guy JVG helped "develop". JVG loved Oakley's no non-sense style and solid fundamentals but wasn't too high on Camby's high-flying athleticism and inconsistency. But Camby became a beast on the defense and on both boards - a real impact player. As a result of that and Ewing's injury, the Knicks changed their style of play from pound-it-inside to being more perimeter-oriented and fast paced, and the team road all the way to the finals that year despite being under-manned. That sold me on JVG. Those who think he's inflexible are wrong - the man will do what works but defense is always a given. With the current team roster - the added youth and athleticism - I think we're geared up to push the tempo and even play 10 or 11 deep every night. With Battier and Snyder, we'll be quicker on rotations and less susceptible at the 3-point line. With Novak, Battier and Lucas, we'll have strong spot up shooters on the floor at all times. With Rafer, Lucas and VSpan we'll have a PG who can push it at all times. The moves are making sense. Now Yao and Tracy - please stay healthy!!