1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Quite Possible] Terrence Jones as our Future Center

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not out of my mind. I haven't seen anybody here bring this up, but Terrence definitely has potential to play the center position effectively. Now let's look at these 3 players' measurements...Hortford, Noah, and Terrence Jones.

1) Wingspan: 7' 0.75"; Standing Reach: 8' 11"
    2) Wingspan: 7' 1.25"; Standing Reach: 8' 10.5"
    3) Wingspan: 7' 2.25"; Standing Reach: 8' 11"

Can you tell which one is Terrence Jones? It's actually the 3rd one (1st is Hortford's, 2nd is Noah's). Basically, Terrence's measurements are better than Hortford's and Noah's; they can both play the center position effectively.

Terrence is also just as athletic as these two, if not more. One of his strong points in college was not giving up inside position to players. Remember, he was weighed at 252 lbs. That's more than Hortford's 246 at the combine. Terrance is also only 20 years old, so with training and dieting it's not impossible to get to 260-270 lbs.

If you play him at center, we may have the quickest, most athletic line up out there and our offense will be very difficult to defend. Even if there is some quickness lost, he will most likely still be able to defend the position pretty well, so this is not a big worry for me. Overall, I think this is definitely a possibility that needs to be looked at....but knowing Morey, he probably already has this in his plans.

Conclusion: Terrence Jones has the potential to be an effective center in the NBA and he is DEFINITELY not undersized for a PF.

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Thanks for pointing this out. I honestly wasn't familiar with T Jones, just heard all of the belly aching going on around here.

If those are legit numbers, I guess there's something else to watch for.

3. Asian Sensation

No. Just no.

Some players play bigger than they are. Terrence Jones is NOT one of them.

4. MrJason

MrJason Member

4) Wingspan: 6' 10"; Standing Reach: 8' 8.5"

Chuck Hayes

5. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

These numbers are from Draft Express's combine measurement database, so they're as legit as it gets haha.

6. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

That would be cool if he developed a pick-n-pop game like KG has going.

7. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

What do you mean? He played 2 through 5 in college. Why would you need him to play "big" when Anthony Davis is protecting your paint? Also, he had the speed to guard 3s, so that's why he didn't play "big".

I actually wasn't on board with drafting him, but he just has so much potential. I honest had no idea he weighed 252 lbs. That's huge.

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

small forward.

9. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

Yep. 4.25 and 2.5 inches too short.

10. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

SEASON AVERAGES

Freshman:
    31.5 MPG | 44.2 FG% | 32.9 3P% | 6.4 FTA | 8.8 RPG | 1.6 APG | 1.9 BPG | 1.1 STL | 15.7 PPG

*Sophomore:
    29.3 MPG | 50 FG% | 32.7 3P% | 4.2 FTA | 7.2 RPG | 1.3 APG | 1.8 BPG | 1.3 STL | 12.3 PPG

*Won NCAA Basketball Championship

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

12. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Downloaded a draft class made by some guy on 2k12 and I started a franches with the Cavs. Shed cap and traded and ended up with four 1st round picks. Drafted Anthony Davis and T. Jones and the dude is a beast!

...Of course it's just a create-a-player.. but still. :cool:

13. Dukefan

Dukefan Member

14. Muaz

Muaz Member

I thought this was some nonsense thread but you actually raise a good point it certainly would be an interesting second unit.

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Maybe you should try watching basketball sometime.

16. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Yes, I think so. Terrence Jones is like AI Horford

17. Asian Sensation

Player that play "big" don't just play big when they need to. They play big all the time as it's natural to them and it's all they know think (DeJuan Blair, Zach Randolph, Chuck Hayes etc). Jones is a good player with great size and I'm stoked we drafted him cause I'm from Portland and watched him since he was in HS but he doesn't like to bang inside and doesn't always get in the best position.

18. carib

carib Member

Interesting thread. Considering that we may end up with Asik, and we have not resigned Camby yet it would be good to have another guy who can play C.

Right now we have so many inexperienced players even in the summer league players may find it hard to get enough playing time. Right now there is no "big" on the team that we can be sure will be a Rocket at the start of the season, because of possible trades.

19. deloaf1

deloaf1 Member

He won't start a C in the NBA. He might move over and play some filler minutes there but your reach and other measurements can only go so far.

Lamb's wingspan is similar... lets play him at the 5 while we are at it too?

yeah, no.

20. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I thought thia was a "inb4l" thread at first... interesting arguemnet bur jus because he is long and wide doeant mean he is a center... he couls end up being a great pf that slidesbto c occasionally while playing small ball but thats it...