1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question to My Fellow Texans who Live Outside Texas

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Feb 25, 2013.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you ever get sick of the people presuming you are a Cowboys' fan, ride horses, lived in a desert, and prone to saying "Yee Haw"?

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

No, because I ride my horse everywhere, live in a desert, and I say "yee haw" whenever I'm happy. Not a Cowboys fan tho.

3. smr6

smr6 Member

If anyone ever insinuated that I was a Cowboys fan I would choke them right then and there.

4. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Any association with Texas is fine by me.

5. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

The only time I got this was outside of the country, specifically in Western Europe,

Oh, screw the cowboys. Am I the only Titans fan anywhere? Yeah? Well $&!*

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Mostly I get annoyed when people automatically assume I'm a Republican who thinks Global Warming is fake. I get that a lot up here...

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

My old manager in Omaha (she was from Pennsylvania and lived in California before then) made this same joke when I moved back down to Houston. I was going to write back something about being "too busy running NASA," or something, but she's really nice.

8. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

When shrub was President I used to get this "I feel so bad for y'all look" when I told people I was from Texas.
    So now I just say I'm from Houston which then prompts people to ask "Where's that?".

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pizza and plcmts17 I get those questions too but I didn't want to mention political questions to avoid moving this thread to the D & D.

10. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just tell them that Houston has an "out" lesbian mayor and watch the minds really get blown.

11. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I defend TX, NY, and LA from their perceived stereotypes all the time.

not to mention, each region has a huge amount of local pride, so it's funny hearing New Yorkers talk about what they think they know about Texas, Californians doing the same about what they think they know about New York, and everyone in between thinking they know everything about Los Angeles (they usually throw all of California into this stereotype) from what they see on tv and movies.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

If you become gay, they'll avoid you.

Or something like that.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It doesn't happen to me, but I don't have that thick Texas accent that you have "sometimes".

14. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Just let them think whatever they want. Who cares if they think you lived on a farm and had to milk the cows at sunrise every morning. It gives you more character than them. And to say you've come so far from that in just 6 months. Your accent is gone and you know more than the sand life without big city streets. Give them a fake country accent to show them how you used to talk (practice one a few times) while your at it.

15. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I travel all over, and most people know that Texas is a great place... they speak of big oil and good jobs along with low cost of living. However, one assumption that I find wrong which is reoccurring is that we have tons of pollution in Houston due to the refineries. I'm also amazed at how many people know there is a huge contrast in people and life between Fort Worth and Dallas.

16. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

fixed it.

17. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

So basically, rocketsjudoka is a Chinese cowboy who used to live in Asia but now lives in the rural deserts of Minnesota and likes to yell 'Yee Hao Ma' at his horse.

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You forgot the part where he can take down a man or a horse and have them in a armbar in 10 seconds flat.

19. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

People assume life in Texas is that of what is seen in Rango, the movie. After this awry assumption, I follow up with a mere but yet powerful slap to the face.

20. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.