1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

QUESTION: How Coachable do you think Harden is?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, May 14, 2019.

?

How Coachable do you think Harden is?

1. 1. Highly Coachable - Does what is Asked of him

12 vote(s)
    14.1%
  2. 2. Good Coachability - But he has a few tendencies he cannot break

36 vote(s)
    42.4%
  3. 3. Average - He about 50/50 Guy - Goes off book often

25 vote(s)
    29.4%
  4. 4. Poor - He goes off book often and He and the Coach are not on the same page

6 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. 5. Bad - He does what he wants d*mn what the Coach says - aka WESTBROOK

6 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I have seen all kind of disparaging remarks about Harden.
    I don't really believe man of them.

I think we have to come down to a fundamental question:
    How Coachable do you think he is?

To me. It seems Harden has done everything asked of him.
    I don't see him as a HIS WAY OR THE HIGH WAY player like Westbrook.
    Our most recent loss I put more on Bad Coaching and Failing Support players than Harden

So . . .let's see where we are on this. .. .

Rocket River
    I am being a little snarky about Westbrook

vlaurelio, Invisible Fan and malakas like this.
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

To be fair, the best coach he's ever had at the NBA level has been MDA. Scott Brooks and Kevin McHale are incompetent.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This too is kind of my point
    He seems to have done what has been asked of him .
    He has gained this level of Greatness with decent to subpar coaching

Rocket River

4. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I said 4 but I don't know if that's necessarily a bad thing (because it's more than 50/50). When you're a great player, you see things differently; play recognition. Not all play calls are based on ability, it's more of confusing the defense. Once James sees he has the ability to do something, the play-call goes out the window and he does what he's capable of doing to get a bucket based on the match-up he has.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think Harden has a very narrow play style that requires a very slow pace. I think a lot of the team switching on defense is to hide the fact that Harden doesn't like fighting through screens. I think our "stand around and watch one player dribble the ball for 20 seconds" offense is due to Harden not being very adaptable.

I think he's not very coachable. You can't plug someone like Harden into a Adleman type of offense.

I think the coaching staff coddles him so it seems like the coach and player is on the same page but in reality the coach would probably love to have a different style faster pace offense.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Has he ever been asked to do this?

Rocket River

amaru and snowconeman22 like this.
  7. fchowd0311

Not recently because the coaching staff understands that he is incapable of doing those things.

I think Dantoni coddles Harden and it has led him to form horrible habits such as never making the quick move before the defense sets and spamming a dribble on one part of the court for 20 seconds. Dantoni would never think that's a good idea. He allows it because he coddles our superstar.

GermanRoxFan and Houstunna like this.
  8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Tbh, i don't know, he never had issues with coaches so far, aside with Mchale after he got fired, not sure how much of a factor James was there, i guess he wasn't exactly happy after McHale benched him in that game against the Clippers, regardless, seems like there was some bad blood between them in the end.

With that said, i don't know how he would respond to a different kind of coach, cause Mike is not a scrubby coach like McHale, but also always seemed like a players coach to me, i never expected him to challenge James, and i don't know how he would respond at that, like, to a coach like Adelman, Pop, Phil Jackson...even though i do think great players and coaches always find a way to get along.

GermanRoxFan likes this.
  9. Homey the Clown

He hasn't shown any uncoachable traits but how would he take ditching the D'Antoni system and going back to regular basketball? The MDA style has rewarded him with all time great regular season numbers, a now patented and signature move in the "Harden Step-Back Three", and an MVP award (maybe another one after this season). Time will tell.

Remlap likes this.
  10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Bullsh!t
    "He cannot play that way"
    "has he been asked it?
    "No, because He is stubborn"

If some one has not been asked to do something . .. you cannot say they won't do it because they are stubborn

So since no one as asked it of him . . . .. One cannot conclude he cannot or will not do it
    Saying so is just bias and hatred

Rocket River

crimsonghost and Denovo like this.
  11. fchowd0311

It's common sense dude. Dantoni would never voluntarily play a "lets spam dribble the ball on one part of the court and initiate a offense with 6 seconds left on the clock" offense. Dantoni has given up his entire offensive philosophy to cater Harden's play. Same thing on defense. The offensive player of an opposing team knows Harden will NEVER fight through a screen, and take advantage of this by forcing Capella to come out to the perimeter and have Harden trying to "box out" for rebounds hence why we suck at defensive rebounding. These are things a coach would never voluntarily do unless they are coddling their superstar. Harden is coddled. He has some severe deficiencies in his play style that are coddled.

He is literally uncoachable with a coach like Pop or Adleman. Those two guys are not going to change their entire offensive philosophy just to allow Harden to dribble the air out of the ball for 20 seconds.

In that sense, MDA is the perfect coach for Harden because he'll allow Harden to perpetuate his horrible habits and this there will never be outward clashes between the two. He isn't the perfect coach to win rings though.

subtomic and Houstunna like this.
  12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He's very coachable. He is the only allstar I know that listens to what a GM says. Layups and 3pointers only

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Nah ./ . .. this is just your slip is showing
    alot of guessing conjecture and filling in the blank with what you want to believe

Rocket River

Remlap likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

Okay. If you genuinely believe that Dantoni voluntarily subscribes to the "spam dribble the ball on one part of the court for 20 seconds and initiate an offense with 4 seconds left on the clock" offense, there is nothing I can say to sway your opinion.

Harden's bad habits are coddled. They were coddled under McHale and they were coddled under MDA.

I wish Hardeb had a coaching staff like Pop's or Adleman's that don't coddle. We would see a far more varied offense from Harden that isn't so predictable.

15. malakas

malakas Member

No.
    The job of an NBA coach isn't to just implement their system regardless of the roster. The job of coach is to adjust their system and put in place the best one that fits the personel available especially when you have an MVP superstar on your team who you can't trade away.

Why is Brad Stevens critisized this year?
    He had a system that works just fine with role players who pass around the ball but when he had to adjust it for a star who likes to iso he couldn't.

jordnnnn likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah, it's do or die with Harden. Morey, Tilman and MDA are all in on it.

MDA is still being the easiest to remove.

17. fchowd0311

Adjusting your system to an offense that spam dribbles the ball and initiates an offense with 6 seconds left on the shot clock routinely every game to help a player isn't "smart adjustment". It's coddling. There is a difference.

18. malakas

malakas Member

Compared to most other star players Harden is fine. He also had to do some things that he didn't like at all, for example feeding Dwight Howard. Like having to listen to the idiotic speeches of McHale.
    And he didn't create much of an issue in the lockeroom.
    Look around the league. Do you think that Kawhi, Lebron, Kyrie, Westbrook would have put up with that?
    I am not saying he is perfect but he is certainly coachable enough for someone of his caliber.

19. fchowd0311

Harden has never had a coach that would stand up to his bad habits so we honestly don't know how he would react to that scenario.

I've seen Dantoni emphasize pushing the pace before with this team. And then Harden enters the game and does his "initiate offense with 6 seconds left" style and Dantoni is always silent. He's a pushover coach. Excellent for smart self aware players like Nash or Kobe. Not so great for players who have severe deficiencies in certain mentalaspects of the game. Dantoni would be the WORST coach for a player a player like Westbrook.

#19 fchowd0311, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
    GermanRoxFan likes this.
  20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Voted 5

I'd say he's 4.5

1) There's NO WAY Mike hasn't told him to move without the ball.

2) McHale was disrespected because James got his feelings -- in a game we WON.

Harden is very talented, but he's immature and a mental case in clutch situations.

fchowd0311 likes this.