1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question for travelers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Prempeh, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

I haven't flown internationally since before 9/11, and I was wondering if the security technology has changed and if there was anything I should be wary of. The main thing I am concerned about is that I have a lot of DVDs that I am bringing with me and I wasn't sure if the magnetic search equipment will screw them up.

Also, does anybody know of any good books about World War II? Mainly looking for non-fictional accounts of the campaigns in Europe and in North Africa. 23 hours of flight time ahead of me, plus a 6 hour layover, so I need some good reads.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Dude, where are you going?

I've taken DVDs on a plane, and they're fine.

3. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

I am moving to the Seychelles...permanent vacation.

4. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I refuse to believe anyone could be that fortunate......therefore you must be lying.

either that, or you suck profusely.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think they have a vaccine for Seychelles now. It used to cause insanity followed shortly by death.

6. davo

davo Contributing Member

Your DVD's will be fine - nothing to worry about. I've carried heaps around since 9/11 and no problems.

I recently read Stephen Ambrose's "American Heritage History of World War II". Quite sterile, but it gives a good factual account. Problem is, its a big mother, so you probably don't want to lug it around airports etc.

Have fun in the Seychelles!

7. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

RM95

Have you put them in your luggage (not your carry on) and they still were okay? The main reason I am concerned is because I heard that when you check your luggage through to your final destination, they undergo more intensive screening than normal.

Pole

As to the "vacation" part, yeah I am lying. I will find a job eventually, but for the next month or two I will just chill and bang island girls.

It's where my mom is originally from, and a bunch of my family still lives there, so I will be crashing with my grandma and my uncles until I get a place of my own.

What about books? They don't even necessarily have to be about WWII, that's just a subject that interests me -- anybody have any general reco's for books?

8. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

I think Mo Taylors "Seychelles" is still bothering him.....he has a little limp.........:p

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I agree. How can you be so lucky?!?!

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Hey...your DVD's will be fine. NOthing will happen, the only thing i found out on my last trip is your laptop must be in a different bag to go through customes in the usa. Like i cant have it in my carry on with other stuff. They repediatly told me this. I fly to saudi to visit my father who works for an oil company there, and I get it pretty tough here in the US because of the name of my final desination. But no worries.

11. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Ok, fess up....who here (besides me) had to look up where Seychelles is on a map?

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Not me...my boss owns one of them, so I did that when I found that out... :)

13. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

SJC

Which one does he own?

Come on fellas, I am going to the bookstore tomorrow, I need some good time killers!

And thanks to all of you for alleviating some of my concerns about the DVDs.

14. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I only know through two of my favorite subscriptions: Conde Naste and National Geographic traveler magazines.

I recommend them both.

15. Mrs. JB

Mrs. JB Member

Look it up? I don't even know how to pronounce it.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I still don't know what it is.

17. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

At most major airports, you can actually rent DVDs and players for the extent of your trip. Pretty cool really.

Just remember, DO NOT PUT FILM IN CHECKED BAGGAGE!!!

Some places won't let you bring food or drinks on board, although i did "smuggle" my food through the medical detector/gateway to termianl area. The lady didn't check to see if it really was food (which I had just bought). And they kinda passed it to another guard not going through any medical detectors or screenings and they never looked in it.

Of course it was still just food. A cheese steak at that.

Ooooh oooh, while I'm off topic for no apparent reason, some airports have those "SmartCartes" or whatever to carry your luggage throughout terminals and to your gate and whatever. Obviously it's made from metal, so they send it through the detector to get it passed and it obviousy sets the thing off. If you were that sadistic, you could put something in the metal piping.

I hope that didn't raise any anxieties:( :( :( .

Enjoy your flight, though!

18. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

Mooch -- Thanks for the tips. Actually, the DVDs aren't for the trip -- I was going to check those through (in my luggage). I need them for when I get there, as the only thing to do there is go to the beach, and when it rains it can get boring.

Mrs. JB -- It's pronounced Sayshells

RM95 -- It's off the coast of Africa, in the Indian Ocean...NE of Madagascar. (for those that didn't check the map already) :)

19. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

"The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich : A History of Nazi Germany"

Everywhere you look you will see 4-5 out of 5 stars.

I am not much of a book reader, and I do not find much interest in history, but I liked this one. It is lengthy (about 1200 pgs), but quite interesting book about Hitler and how close he was to succeeding in his quest to rule the world. Its more of a focus on him, but extremely interesting.

Publisher:
    Before the Nazies could destroy the files, famed foreign correspondent and historian William L. Shirer sifted through the massive self-documentation of the Third Reich, to create a monumental study that has been widely acclaimed as the definitive record of one of the most frightening chapters in the history of mankind—now in a special 30th anniversary edition.

[​IMG]

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Any particular reason, Prempeh? Will we be losing you?