1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question for the Pro-Tankers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Rock MVP, May 29, 2012.

?

Would Pro-Tankers be ok with this move?

1. Yes

37 vote(s)
    74.0%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    26.0%
  1. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

I am a pro-tanker and I was devising a scenario where I would be back on Morey's side.

Simple question: If Morey Traded Kyle Lowry for the 8th pick with Toronto and Amir Johnson/Fillers.

Then he used the 8th, 14th, and 16th pick to draft a core three players to build around. I am going to assume he drafts well. THis is essentially like tanking, but not really.

Question: Would pro-tankers be fine with this move since it nets us 3 young talents in a deep draft that could get us Barnes, SUllinger, Rivers, etc.

2. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

I voted yes

Sorry if this is redundant, but I was curious

3. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I'm not a pro tanker but I answered yes... but only if we get Dragic back.

4. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

If Portland or Sacramento aren't interested, then I'd be fine the 8th pick and another future pick.

5. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Wasn't really thread worthy.

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yes - but only because we'd suck so bad next season that we'd get another high draft pick in 2013 too.

7. Bball_Gill

Bball_Gill Member

I can't say I am a pro-tanker, but cannot really see a route to a championship without doing so.

It seems like you that every championship team besides the Lakers have won it with a top five pick which they drafted. Building around an 8th, 14th and 16th just doesn't seem to cut it.

I would like to think we could get real lucky and make it work.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Another tanking thread? Really?

There is a big difference in trading Lowry for a draft pick Vs. tanking.

If Morey trades Lowry for a draft pick then that in no way indicates that he's going to FORCE HIS TEAM TO LOOSE GAMES IN 2013 TO GET AN EVEN HIGHER DRAFT PICK IN 2012/2013.

More than likely, if they are bringing in #8 draft pick, #14 + Motiejunas + Resigning Dragic, etc. they want those young players to actually play well, and NOT loose on games purpose.

-Depending on what happens with Scola, Martin, & Dalembert will tell you a little bit more about their situation as far as REBUILDING goes, but not TANKING. There is a huge difference in playing to win with young talent on your roster, and well... forcing LaMarcus Aldridge & Ray Felton to sit the bench innactive while you play out the second half of the season withThabeet & Johnny Flynn.

I personally believe its obvious that Scola, Martin, and Dalembert are not long term solutions for the Rockets and its completely obvious that they are not untoucheable, especially for a high draft pick. Remember, in the past three years, Morey (according to Adelman) has tried to trade away the entire team for the likes of Rubio, Cousins, and just this last year Jonas V.

Hopefully this paints a better picture of what Morey really wants to do with this roster. Win with young talent, & trade for a cornerstone franchise player/players.

They love guys like Scola/Camby etc. but dont think for a minute they wouldn't love to trade those kind of players for good draft picks.

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

I has sugar with koffee?

[​IMG]

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Its unlikely you are going to get players at 14th and 16th that are "core" or good enough to build a team around.

Now, if he somehow landed the 8th, and traded that along with the 14th and 16th and got a #3-5 out of the deal, then that would help things.

11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I want a high pick in the draft. Trade up for a potential superstar/allstar.
    We've all seen what happened with our recent lottery picks. Bust, bust, bust.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Didn't vote because I'm not sure which is more valuable, Lowry or #8. But, posting to object to the characterization of such a trade as netting us 3 core rookies. Two of those picks are already in our pocket.

13. Pringles

Pringles Member

If we do that, than I would hope we also trade Martin and Scola.

Dragic, Martin, and Scola are still good enough for us to not be in the bottom of the league. (and we'll be stuck with a high lottery pick. :eek:)

14. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Well, the average career arc of a #8 pick taken between '84 and '02 (ie those with finished careers to look at) is Larry Hughes and the upside is Andre Miller/Detlef Schrempf. So yeah, grabbing a #8 pick and some mid-first-round flotsam is not going to turn this team around on average. If you're not going for the top 5, don't bother. And trading Lowry for crap will not single-handedly send this team to the top 3 in the draft if Dragic is resigned.

15. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I'd be happier if Morey took the #8, #14, #16 and do what we did to get Eddie Griffin.

While people BASH that move (rightfully so), it was exactly the type of gamble this team needs now. Also had Griffin had his head on straight, I really believe he could've put up Tyson Chandler type numbers from the 4 (maybe with more blocks/3s).

If you can turn those 3 picks into a top 3 pick, and you then have someone to build around, that would be the move I make.

16. allanivan

allanivan Member

This...Portland, Sacramento, and NO's picks are more appealing seems~

17. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

No, no, no, no, no, no, NO! This is precisely the kind of move that they should avoid at all costs. That Eddie Griffin "gamble" set this team back YEARS and now you want to repeat the same blunder. Let's set aside for the moment the question of why Toronto would make this trade and focus instead on who they could get in the draft that would be worth this type of gamble. I see no LeBrons or Kobes coming out that would justify this move. I don't believe that they are one player away as they have multiple positions that need upgrading before they are even in the conversation on legitimate contenders so to gamble in this manner would be to compound one folly on top of another. As the saying goes: "Those who don't learn from history are destined to repeat it" which should be the official motto for this BBS.

18. allanivan

allanivan Member

and also the Playing Time for the young cores plz
    Dragic is fine, he is part of our young cores.

19. allanivan

allanivan Member

This year is kind of different. Nobody is clear stand out besides Anthony Davies, MKG, and Thomas Robinson. All other prospects from 4-17 picks are some what on the same level. It means 14th and 16th are as equally valuable as 9-12, I think. JUst personal Opinion, and that is why I think the rockets should keep the 14th and 16th pick this year.

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Fine but your suggested players(Barnes, Sullinger, Rivers) are horrible.

To the people that say package the 3 picks for a top 3 pick:
    We have many weak spots in our roster and 3 guys would be better than one. If you draft just one guy in the top 5 then make sure to tank on to get a high pick next season to improve year by year.