1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question for the physical therapists here: Ice bath or hot water?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Geronimo, May 6, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

So I've been playing basketball every day for at least 2 hours for the past 2 weeks, along with some intense agility training and lower body weight lifting. As a result, I noticed my feet hurt whenever I walk or run, and my heels hurt and are swollen and looks bruised. The last time I played, the pain on my feet was so bad I only had about 60 percent of my speed and couldn't handle the ball the way like I normally could.

Should I take an ice bath for my feet or use hot water to help recovery?

Someone said it might be plantar fasciitis but I'm going to rest for a week and see if the pain goes away.

2. faraza84

faraza84 Member

Rice my friend

Rest ice compression elevation and NSAIDs

That's to drop the swelling, when swelling goes down to relax the muscles heat is given along with muscle relaxants for muscle strains. Since its your calcaneus and possible your plantar fascia rest and NSAIDs is the main course of management. If per say it gets worse and non remitting than def see a podiatrist and its possible you could need surgery. FYI for plantar fasciitis the recovery can. Be 8-16 months according to some medical literature. Best of luck and hope you feel better.

FYI not a physical therapist just a 3rd yr med student but I've read up on management and had some board questions about it. PT might be able to give you better insight on recovery and rehab.

1 person likes this.
  3. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

was gonna suggest RICE but it looks like somebody else has beaten me to it.:cool:

NSAIDs again, depending on what meds you are taking... just go ask your doc or pharmacist just to make sure there isnt some med you are taking that is super dangerous with NSAIDs

4. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Ice, right after exercise.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One thing that has helped me a lot with soreness after working out is taking a cold shower. I've been doing that for two years now and I am a lot less sore overall than I was before and find my physical performance the next training session is better.

For specific injuries as others recommend RICE.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I would recommend seeing doctor. RICE should help swelling, but may need to look at severity to determine how much rest and if you need to be doing additional stretching exercises to help out.

7. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

K, I need to go to the grocery store to get a bag of rice then.

I kid, but seriously, thanks for all the input guys. Walking is fine right now, but my heels have been swollen and discolored for the past 2 days. Is 20 minutes a day of icing it fine?

I'm going to rest it for a week and see if the swelling and pain goes away first before getting it checked out.

8. faraza84

faraza84 Member

Ya that should be good but take it easy. Not sure what intensity you play at, but the last thing you want is aggravating it.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Hard to say how much icing you need, but wouldn't do more than 20 min at a time. Also, make sure to ice it some in the morning.

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

Frozen rice... it's the only way.

11. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Not a PT but I've dealt with plantar fasciitis. Definitely RICE.

Not sure how lean you are, but if you can knock off any weight... do it. Your feet will thank you later. You also might want to consider getting inserts for the time being until you have the pain under control. After that, you'll need to introduce your feet to some other forms of exercise to build up confidence in them. I try to find stuff to do barefooted and I haven't had foot pain for about a year.

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Don't you remember seeing our players like this after every game when it was out of hand or they were just out for the last quarter? :cool:

13. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

swelling?

Ice = Reduced Inflammation

Heat = Healing

Can't heal with inflammed

SO Ice after exercise and heat at night.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

15. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

Epsom salt soak. It's a cure all.