1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question for PS2 Owners:

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Prempeh, Dec 31, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

I've been having a problem with my PS2 playing DVD movies. Most of them work fine, but a couple are all jacked up -- the movies will play, but every five seconds or so the screen turns blue for a few seconds, then back to the movie, then back to the blue screen, and this happens repeatedly.

Anyone run into this problem, and is there a solution?

Thanks in advance.

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Your solution is to get a real DVD player.

My friend has a PS2 and ran into similar problems. The PS2 was never designed to be a full time, regular DVD player, but rather as a secondary DVD player to be used every once in a while...

You can get a good DVD player for $100 these days...

3. LeisureSuitMoochie

I had that problem when I had my playstation 2 hooked up to my VCR. I wrote an email to the sony people and they said that it does that to prevent piracy of the dvd onto video cassette. Just plug the A/V cables directly into your TV to fix the problem. If that doesn't help, then I agree with A-Train, get a DVD player.

4. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

lsmoochie

Thanks -- that's the problem. Is there a way to hook up the PS2 using an RF attachment...my tv is on the old side and doesn't have a/v cable hook ups.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Well, I just started using my PS2 for DVDs. My old Sony (about 30 months old) has a really hard time reading and/or playing new DVDs. Old ones, no prob-new ones, big prob.

Sucks.

6. mduke

mduke Member

Haven't had any problems yet.....although I don't really use the PS2 for DVDs all that much.

7. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

As each day goes by, I become more and more happy with my decision to buy a Game Cube instead of a PS2. I hear that a lot of people have had their PS2 break down on them completely and not work at all (for DVDs and games), though admittedly most (but not all) of those cases are in Japan.

8. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Same here. Haven't really had ANY problems period with mine, game-wise or DVD-wise, though I don't watch them a lot.

9. BALLhog 247 365

i have one of those connection boxes where you have the audio/video on one side and the rf on the other... try looking for them at the store

10. Christopher

Christopher Member

I have only had a couple of old DVD's not work.

I am REALLY pleased with the DVD Player in the PS2. I dont have a stand alone DVD player, that shows how good my PS2 has been to me.

Maybe if people have problems they should buys a PS2 DVD remote control. When you get it you get a disk that installs on your memory card. I think it updated the DVD software, I could be wrong though :)

As for new DVD's, I rented Star War Attack of the Clones and had a heap of problems!

My dog didnt stop barking, then he crapped everywhere and got it all over himself. I had to give him a bath.

No problem with the DVD, just the bloody dog :)

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Most brands of DVD players won't play on VCRs. Some you need to input some secret code for it to work. The most popular is Apex.

12. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Well, I've only had a problem with a couple DVD's while playing them on my PS2. However, I don't know if it's a problem with the DVD's themselves or the system. So far, the only times I've had problems are on "Made", where Vince Vaughn and Jon Favreau have a telestrator sort of thing to go along with their commentary, and on a certain part of the "Cannibal: The Musical" DVD (hey it's Trey Parker's and Matt Stone's first student movie, who couldn't say no?). Other than that it's worked fine as a player for me, and I've got one of the original PS2's (waited all night in line for that stinkin thing).

13. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

been fine for me with DVD's new and old.

been fine for me with games, PS1, and PS2.

I have no complaints.