1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[QUESTION FOR OLDER POSTERS] How good was Moses Malone?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BleedRocketsRed, Apr 6, 2012.

1. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Serious question for guys who were in their 20s or above (preferably, at the very least, alive) when Mo was playing in his prime:

Where would you rank Moses all time? Underrated, overrated or rated? How was he as a player? Strengths? Weaknesses? Defensively? (the stuff you don't see in videos/highlights).

Personally I think the top 9 is commonly accepted (by most lists I have seen) as (in no order) Dream, MJ, Kareem, Magic, Larry Legend, Shaq, Wilt, Russell, Duncan. The 10th spot seems debatable (some give it to Kobe, others to Oscar, others to West, others to Moses, etc).

Thanks in advance.

#1 BleedRocketsRed, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  2. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

The Big O should easily be number 3 on any list behind MJ & Wilt.

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

He was the Shaq to Kareem's Yao. Probably the one player most responsible for how great Hakeem became. Before Hakeem, it was impossible to fathom any center coming along after Moses that would be better than him.

Moses was easily the strongest man on the court at all times, an absolute bull of a man with that innate sense to get the shot up and be in maximum position to tip it back in if it came out. The most dominant post presence in his prime, which was the tail end of Kareem's career and the infancy of Hakeem's career.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He was incredible, the hardest working big man I have ever seen, just relentless on the glass.

He was quick on the jump, so he would tip and tip and tip the ball until he got it.

I was upset when he got traded to Philly, he was a 2 time MVP for crying out loud....

And he also did the city a favor by training Hakeem.....

A great player, one of the all time best.

DD

5. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Sounds like nothing could stop Malone except for injuries. He had the deadly trio for any seven footer which is strength, athleticism, and quickness. He also had a good touch.

6. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

He was actually pretty small for a center. More like 6'9"+. But he was an incredible rebounder with outstanding post moves. He was the dominant force in the Sixers championship and also lead the Rockets to our Finals appearance in '81 when we were only an 8 seed. He beat Magic and Kareem pretty much by himself that year.

7. Sleepy Flloyd

Sleepy Flloyd Member

He were miles better than da "best big man in da game" D Howard.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The amount of energy Moses Malone played with set him apart from everyone else. He was one of those who never got tired but instead wore out opponents who couldn't keep up with him. Seemed like he got as many offensive rebounds as defensive and probably has the most rebounds of his own misses in NBA history (if such a stat was kept). He had a stretch run of about 10 years as a dominant player where he was a man among boys.

For someone his size, Moses was one of the most physically imposing centers ever. He gave up inches and pounds every night, but opposing Cs dreaded having to push and shove with him for 40 minutes.

Early on with the ABA Spirits of St. Louis, Moses was a string bean but he still couldn't be held off the boards.

9. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Two words: Infighter

10. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Two Words: Oldshool In-fighter

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

:cool:

12. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

That's not me. That's all about android 2.3:grin:

13. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

The greatest thing about Moses was that "Let my game do the talking" part. He wasn't showing himself and he wasn't acting as a diva for the most part, like other all-time greats did (maybe, excluding Larry Bird). He just came on the court and did everything he could to eat his man (and men, cause he was always fighting against two or even three defenders in the low block) alive.

Really unique player. He showed a lot of hard and he was just pushing and pushing. If hit him, he would hit you harder, if you hit him harder than the first time, he would give the hardest hit of your life just to score that damn basket. The best putback player of all-time for reason.

1 person likes this.
  14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

"[QUESTION FOR OLDER POSTERS]"

Stop yelling at me. I can hear you just fine.
    [​IMG]

15. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

[embed]<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/z-48ekHpuUI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/embed]

I'm not that old, but Hubie Brown has never described anyone of recent eras like he described Moses.

16. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

When Moses Malone and Kareem Abdul Jabbar were both in their primes, Moses was the best center in the NBA.

Period.

17. BoyhoodDream

BoyhoodDream Member

why did they end up trading him?

18. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

He was a restricted free agent. He signed an offer sheet with Philly because Houston did not want to pay him big bucks but then Houston matched Phillies offer. He was then traded to Philly for a 1st round pick.

19. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I still have an autographed Moses Malone game shoe.

20. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Moses was a mother who brought it every night. He was so damn fast as well. Rebound, back in. Blink of an eye. I remember also he had no problem dribbling into the right position, which was next to the basket. Nobody argued with Moses.