1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question for medical professionals pertaining to the health care system

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ron from the G, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

I was hoping to get a little feedback from the health care professionals out there about this scenario.

A few months back I was in Mexico visiting family and I got very sick. The kind of illness that would normally have me out of work for probably a week. Now being that I was in Mexico my insurance of course does not cover me across the border so my family advised that I go to the pharmacy and get a penicillin shot. So I went to the local pharmacy and just as if I was buying Tylenol I bought my penicillin shot. Right next to the pharmacy was a nurse who I then paid to administer the shot. Paying for the nurse and the shot cost me about 20 dollars total. This all went down about 9 o'clock at night. When I woke up the next morning I felt great without a sign of my previous illness.

Many people in Mexico can not afford to see a doctor so this is the process they go through when they are sick. Many of them can not even afford the 20 dollars to have this process done, but that is another topic. More on point is that with the health care debate going on you will hear many people point to the high cost on the medical system from the poor going to the ER for none emergencies and then not being able to pay off their debt. It would seem the option that everyone in Mexico has of buying a penicillin shot from a pharmacy would stop a large portion of those none emergency visits to the ER.

I am wondering why we do not have that option? In my mind I would think the medical association or pharmaceutical companies would be blocking this from being legal, because it is far to effective and would cause them to lose money. But that is the cynic in me and I am in no means a medical expert so I would like to ask the medical professionals of clutchfans.

Is there is a medical reason why this option is not available to us and the poor people of our country, but is in Mexico? I know too many penicillin shots is probably bad for your immune system in the long run, but I would think every now and then wouldn't be too bad. I also understand that when I took that shot it was like killing a roach with a shotgun, but it did work very quickly and it was highly cost efficient.

2. Shovel Face

Shovel Face Member

Yeah, now the gov wants the same control directly.

3. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Go to Mexico then. You are paying for our knowledge and service, not the penicillin shot. Would you rather get treated by someone who went to a two year community college program, or someone who went through 10+ years of schooling after high school? Think about it.

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

one thing to note, it is not recommended that people take peneccillin shots too often.

Plus, it's usually not a good idea for people to self diagnose and then purchase treatment to be administered.

5. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

Why so hostile? Your comment doesn't point to the actual question at all. If I had been in the US I would of went to the doctor, because I am insured. But many people in this country are not insured and if those poor people that can only afford a two year community college trained professional had this option it would benefit the overall cost of the system. Instead of the poor going to the ER and incurring bills that they can not afford to pay off. The question here is in regards to the cost efficiency vs. the possible side effects on someones immune system.

Now this is a smart response. Thank you.