1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

question for long distance running fans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by gr8-1, Mar 27, 2000.

1. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

sometime ill watch a race on tv, and their is almost always a pacer ? why is that ? has it always been like that ?
    What pace do they normally run at ? a 4 minute mile ? Why dont they just not have a pacer and just let everyone run as fast as they can ?

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

2. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

I wouldn't call myself a fan, and it depends when you call a race 'long distance', but for races of, 10,000 metres, say, the pacemaker is usually paid by whomever is promoting the race, to try to gain a world record time. Often, in the longer races, tactics come into play, and a slow race benefits those runners with a sprint finish. If a promoter advertises a world record attempt, then he has to try to ensure that it happens. The pacemaker is always paid, and generally runs the pace that the leading contender for the record requests. On several occasions I have seen the pacemaker go off, and no one else follow. He'll make his times anyway, just to get his money!

------------------

3. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

and this pace setter is usually a subpar amatuer ? Thanks GBRocksfan.

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

4. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

Sub-par amateur seems a bit harsh! He'll be an international class runner, since he has to be able to do the lap times, even if he can't finish the race! You won't see any pace makers in the Olympics though, I can guarantee that!

------------------