1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question for Aelliot or other capologist

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Moe, Aug 16, 2000.

Tags:
  1. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Forgive me to those who already know the answer to this question. Could the Clipps sign Taylor for 4.5 mil and trade him to the Rockets for the exception alone with no other players being involved?

------------------

2. Thanos

Thanos Member

EXACTLY what i wanted to know.

I´m not sure, but i don´t think so.

I may be mistaken, but i suppose the trade exception allows us to pick up MORE salary than we are giving away, and not just exchange the exception for a player.

with the exception we may be able to say, send a player whose salary is 1mil and then get a resigned Mo for 5.5mil.

Am i right on this?

------------------
    "Behold the coming of the Almighty"

[This message has been edited by Thanos (edited August 16, 2000).]

3. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

Yes they could, but if I'm not mistaken, sign-n'-trades must be for a minimum of three years. That would hurt Taylor if he was looking for a big payoff next year.

I'm no capologist, so I hope the info I've given is correct.

------------------
    "Stranger things have happened, but none stranger than this" - Commentator after a parachutist landed in the ring of a Holyfield fight

4. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

Obviously, a "trade" means you have to give something back. But you could send a draft pick to LA -- last summer, the Hawks used a trade exception to get Lorenzen Wright for two first-round picks.

I don't know if sending just cash (or an assortment of tasty snacks, nicely arranged on a tray) would be legit, but the more pertinent question would be why the Clippers would bother. Probably depends on the snacks. [​IMG]

------------------

5. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

We could give them the exeption, cheetohs, hot fries, a couple of Jolly Ranchers, and Drew for Taylor, Maggette, and Kandi.

Works out perfectly for both teams! [​IMG]

------------------
    Ugh, Another Rockets off-season....I'm gonna need a keg
    of Pepto-Bismol.

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Clippers don't want the cost of 1 jolly rancher, let alone 2.

Yes, a trade exception for Mo Taylor would work just fine, provided Mo signs for ~4.5 mill. And yes, it does have to be a minimum of 3 years.

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

7. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

But Nike,

wouldn't Maurice be a BYC player, making the $4.5 exception worth up to $9M?

------------------
    I've posted so much that what I say must be true.

The latest on Maurice Taylor

8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Achebe-If Mo signed for 9 mill, WE would have to fit in all 9 mill under the cap. We'd have to add Walt to it to make it equal 9 mill. It wouldn't be a problem from their side. Mo actually WON'T be BYC, if he resigns (sign and traded) with the Clippers, since they're under the cap. Similar to the Penny Hardaway deal.

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

9. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Nike,

ohhhhhh. Cool. This became a confusion/concern of mine earlier. I hooked on to the buzzword and then couldn't think coherently.

Thanks.

------------------
    I've posted so much that what I say must be true.

The latest on Maurice Taylor

10. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Assuming that the Clips don't want any more players, they could sign and trade Taylor for cash or picks.

Just to clarify, you don't really trade the traded player exception. It's just that if you are using that exception then it means that the other team (LA) is trading down in salary and could be eligible for an exception themselves. Since the Clippers are under the cap, they would not be eligible for the exception.

Even if Taylor would be a BYC player, it still wouldn't matter:

The most the clippers Clippers could receive is 50% of his salary ($2.75M). This isn't a problem since the Clips are only getting picks in return. Picks have no value for trade purposes and a team is always allowed to trade down in salary.

Houston would have to fit Taylor's entire actual salary ($4.5M) under their cap. Our traded player exception would allow us to do that.

So, it's doable.

------------------

[This message has been edited by aelliott (edited August 16, 2000).]

11. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

A
    Thank you very much.

------------------