1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question....best internet for lots of video chat...will comcast solve my ATT problems

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by eddiewinslow, Apr 4, 2012.

1. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

long story short, I have a long distance girlfriend, and before the obligatory you've got to bang other chicks mentions.....yes she's worth it she is doing her MBA at Wharton, anyways I have alot of family overseas as well so Im always skyping.

Currently I have U-verse max plus I believe $130 a month on special right now 450 channels U-450 package plus 18 mbps download.....not sure the upload, anyways recently the internet is always messing up. Im always having to unplug the modem and replug it before I can log in to my PS3 or before I skype bc it lags alot. Surfing the internet is fine, but PS network and skype is awful....anyways Im using an Imac 27, also I just got an ethernet and plugged it to the modem. ATT says there are too many devices on my network, they count 6 somehow, I guess that's Iphone plus Imac, plus laptop,plus ipad, not sure what else. Anyways Im contemplating the switch to Comcast Extreme 50, 50 mbps + their biggest cable package and its $163/month.....will the extreme 50 solve my issues? Is it worth the hassle and switch plus $84 installation?

For the record I live in a high rise on the 23rd floor, does this have any bearing on my situation? Thanks.....sick of calling ATT, 3 calls in past 24 hrs, all re-routed overseas to be told that I'm getting 12 mbps which is good....ummm no its not when Im paying for 18 mbps thanks cousin in India

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Verizon fios

3. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

At 18mb down you really shouldn't be having many problems with streaming/gaming and such. Even at 12, to be honest. Either something is wrong with the U-Verse router/modem or they are throttling you for some reason. Possibly because you are pulling down a lot of data?

I will say, though I'm no fan of them, Comcast's speeds are very good generally. I have never had a problem with streaming or gaming. (It's mainly the reason I still use them for Internet).

4. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

thanks rokkit, i knwo 50 mbps is overkill really and more business internet but it seems like my only solution right now and I can deduct it anyways on my taxes so the fee increase isn't the end all, I just want the unplugging and restarting the modem everytime I wanna use my PS3 and the skype lag to just stop!!!! it drives me nuts, and ATT claims I have alot of devices on at once which makes no sense bc my ipad and laptop are off and only Imac and iphone are one and only the Imac is in use at the time! Comcast says it doesn't matter how many devices I have, I don't know Im losing my mind dealing with customer service reps in bangladesh

5. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Your download is more than enough. Your modem is hosed. I have Comcast but had bad modem too. Kept having to reset it. Got a new one and problem solved.

6. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

but when I stream video isn't that upload??? I do the speed test and upload is only like 1.2 mbps....comcast extreme 50 I believe offers 6 mbps?

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Being in a high rise can certainly be an issue with wiring.

You don't need much bandwidth to make a video call. .750 up can give you good streaming. If you're doing all kinds of other things while doing video chat, that would be a problem.

8. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member