1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question about your job and the ethics behind it..

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mathloom, Jan 18, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'm wondering mostly about people who think their company is not ethical at all in its approach to making money..

This question is going to look different to different people... For example, a Muslim would wonder about working for a company which sells alcohol.. A Christian would worry about 'working' for a church that spends lavishly on itself... Etc...

So the question really is..

Do you think the place where you work is meeting your personal ethical standards (as in, you would do the same or 'worse' if you were in charge)..?

Does that have any bearing (sp?) on whether you take/keep a job? How much? Can/does money convince you otherwise?

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I have my moral standards, but I think my moral standards are a bit more tolerant than everyone else. That's the sophisticated way of saying, "Show me the money". :grin:

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

In general, I don't do a lot of things not out of ethical reasons, but because I'm a coward who don't want to get into trouble. For example, I think might even take a job as a drug dealer if there weren't the whole illegal/dangerous aspect to the job.

So no, I really don't give a damn if my company is super evil like conning old ladies or hiring kids to work in sweatshops. As long as I don't get in trouble myself, and the job is stable enough for my taste.

Yes, I am a b*stard.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Another of the Mathloom "questioning your ethics/america" threads.

YAWN !

DD

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

i have no problem charging law firms to get their invoices paid. :)

7. University Blue

Mine was a "when in Rome" dilemna -- if you want to do well in certain work environments / cultures, you have to be an a**hole (i.e. duplicitous co-workers / managers / HR; lazy staff).

Some people are better playing the game than others.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Yet .. .. you did not answer the question.

Rocket River

9. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Working in corporate america necessitates a certain amount of ethical ambiguity.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

For Me my morals have a place
    but
    It is more about Priorities

My family having a comfortable/good life
    is
    a bit more important.

It is kind of a graph though. . .
    there is a point where my morals cause me to sacrifice

For Instance. . . I could not be kill someone to become rich
    I could not participate in any way.

Rocket River

11. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

That's not necessarily true. It depends on the corporation and also the position a person holds in the corporation.

12. rhadamanthus

I would venture to state that every company has some ugly secrets and or machinations. The point of my comment was that you have to accept these perhaps not-so-nice aspects to potentially work on great things.

Am I directly responsible? - of course not. But I am nonetheless contributing to the company's success, and accordingly supporting the more malignant aspects therein.

13. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

I agree, there's usually at least a few skeletons somewhere in the corporate closet(any business entity actually). The choices of participants being....
    1. actively participating in creating those bones
    2. stuffing your head up your butt and not acknowledging them at all
    3. acknowledging them and actively refusing to be a part of it as best you can.

I prefer the third choice as well.

Humans are imperfect so therefore anything created by humans will always have imperfections. It's just a matter of the degree of imperfections and to what extent a person's sense of morality justifies them.

14. rhadamanthus

Perhaps instead of ethical ambiguity I should have said ethical pragmatism.

15. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Exactly, it's a matter of doing what we have to do to survive in a way that fits in the parameters of our personal morals and values. It doesn't always look pretty from a puritan standpoint, but it's life and we all have to make those choices at times.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I used to raise thousands of dollars through grants and business development for at risk children in MY community. Now I basically do the same thing (business development) in an unregulated industry where some of our members lose BIG money. Feel awesome either way. I hate kids.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

My own life doesn't meet my ethical standards, so it'd be surprising if a company could. It is good enough for me to keep working with them, and I recognize that some things the company is reproached for (like turning off people's electricity in the summer) is dictated by economic realities bigger than the company itself, and that the company does try to address the problem.

Neither did Mathloom, incidently.

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Hmm.. Let's say a friend of mine has a job...

He hates it. Most people would find that his job is in a field which supposedly re-enforces ethics, but it doesn't do that. It's about appearances and it doesn't matter who has to suffer for it. They're also counter cyclical - in times of crisis, it's an awesome place for job security. Pay is great. Everyone in the company wants to leave, but are staying for the $$$ till opportunities open up elsewhere. Hurts me to say, but he's actually come to hate the entire financial industry because he sees it as a giant engine of greed which will run forever, and slowly eat away at any benefit it has to people in favor of just growing as fast as possible. That's just him though.

I can see where he's coming from. I understand his predicament. ;)

The reason he asked me to start this thread is because he's considering giving up his job, which pays well, for a job that pays half but really really makes him happy. Not even anything fancy, it's for helping people in need all over the world. He likes that kind of stuff.

He also asked me to tell DD that he has better things to do than create sneaky trap-threads (I don't know if it's your time of the month, but your response was particularly douchey on this occasion). This message board contains people from all over the world btw. If he wanted to go at America's ethics, he would've asked me to start a thread in the D&D.

So has anyone (or their friend? haha) ever left a job that pays well in exchange for something that pays peanuts but makes him/her happy?

19. rhadamanthus

Yes.

However, one of the axioms I have found to be very true in life is:

"It's very difficult to voluntarily lower your standard of living."

20. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

I've done it several times.

Life is too short to pimp yourself out doing something you hate. Tell your friend to take a deep breath and step into the void. When he emerges from the initial struggle, he will be much stronger and much happier.