1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question about supplemental picks

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Here's a question....

I know you can now trade supplemental picks, but can you trade supplemental picks that haven't been assigned?

For example...The Texans are due three or four supplemental picks next year. Can they use those to trade up to nab, say, a quarterback they want.

For instance...

Number 25 and a future third and this year's fourth (the Brown's pick) for like number 15, should they feel the need? The third round pick can be specified to be the lowest third round pick the team owns, which would then become the supplemental third we get next year.

I'm not saying this is something we need to do, just pointing out that this seems perfectly legal, should Rick Smith and company feel the need. To me, in a twisted sense, it shows that free agency was not all a loss. It gave us some ammo.

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Not sure; I heard for example if we got Romo, it would take one of them off or lower one?

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

I don't think you can trade them until they have been assigned.

4. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

If Romo is cut and we sign him I don't think that impacts supp picks. Someone talked about this in another thread.

5. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Pats Traded Jamie Collins for a comp 3rd round pick, which becomes a traditional 4th rounder if Cleveland doesn't get a 3rd round comp pick.

6. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member