1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question about Dog Sinus Allergies

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by heypartner, Apr 25, 2017.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

My vet has confirmed that my dog's cute, but sad, sniffles, sneezing and stuffed up nose is due to sinus allergies. She's 14 yrs old and has never had this problem before, living in the same area for last 9-10 yrs.

Have any of you experienced sinus allergies with your dog? I actually don't know anyone who has. Didn't really know they could get them.

question: If so, do you put them on a mild steroid as well as Benadryl? And how long? Or do you just try to ride it out?

Vet put her on Benadryl awhile ago, but said to call back for the steroid if needed. (I think it's called Temaryl P). I prefer to not use that, because I've used that before for something else, and it causes water retention, so she doesn't sleep as well having to go pee in the middle of the night, while struggling to decide if she needs to wake me up or not ... such a good puppy. So it's mildly stressful for her to have to pee in the middle of the night.​

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

For our dog, we've been able to correlate where she visits and how phlegmy she gets. It's down to one or two key fields (where she loved rolling around in the grass); we avoid those now, and the problem is almost completely gone.

So we've never medicated her. She misses those fields, but that's about it.

(Yes, folks, there are grassy fields in San Francisco -- hard to believe, I know.)

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes. We have two dogs. One of them has always had allergies that affect her sinuses. We gave her a limited ingredient food to help, but she goes outside and will not chew on a blade of grass like dogs do supposedly when they have an upset stomach, but will start eating grass like it's a salad, and munching mouthfuls of it.

We give her prednisone steroid. She's on a lot at first and over the course of a couple of weeks we ween her off it slowly. A different vet said that there were a couple of operations we could do which would cost about $5000 dollars total and make it so that she wouldn't get the sinus stuff anymore. She's almost 12 now, and that cost is prohibitive for us.

The Prednisone works almost right away. Her sneezing, hacking, and coughing is cut by about 3/4 the first day, and almost totally gone the second day.

We have tried to ride it out, but it never works. She just gets progressively worse, and eventually her sinus cavities are so worn that she gets bloody noses, and is so miserable, there is no way to just wait.

heypartner likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

You're allergic to your dog's sinuses?

[/swoly]

5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

have you thought about a doggy bubble?