1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question about Charlie Murphy/Rick James/Prince Skits

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by PippenAintEZ, Feb 29, 2004.

Tags:
  1. PippenAintEZ

PippenAintEZ Member

(First of all, it's be forever since I posted here!) Some of my friends and I got in a huge debate about this. Was the Charlie Murphy/Rick James skit based on a true story? Was the Charlie Murphy/Prince skit based on a true story? Or were both of these fictional stories? I don't wanna sway you one way or the other with my opinion. I'm just curious with what you think. My ultimate goal would be to get a response from an insider from "Chappelle's Show." (Damn, I need a life!) Please share your thoughts. Thanks!

2. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

i have no idea, but if you're talking about the "prince basketball game" i thought i'd add that the picks the prince team were setting were hilarious. :D

3. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

IMO, they're true stories, probably embellished a bit, but true. I mean, there's no reason to think Charlie could get away with making up crazy stories like that, call them true, and not get sued by the people he's talking about. Hell, Rick James even commented on his story. Plus, none of the tales seem too outrageous or unbelievable.

4. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i think the rick james stuff is true, but there is now way in hell that prince plays basketball, let alone does crossovers and dunks.

i like how prince taunts charlies team. "nice hustle" and the guy says real frustrated, "man, im not even on your team!"

or after a monster jam, still hanging on the rim prince says "game...blouses".

chappelle is too tall to play prince, who is about 5'2''.

5. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

It was hilarious for sure.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I wouldn't be so sure about Prince. I'm not to wise on his basketball skills, but IIRC, he's a huge basketball fan. I wanna say he used to have season tickets to the T-Wolves.

"Shoot the J!!!"

7. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I'm Rick James b!tch!

8. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I'm a pretty big Prince fan. I used to be a real big Prince fan. Prince played on his high school team and was really good for being so small. I saw him play at the Summit during the "Lovesexy" tour back in 1989. He had a basketball goal as part of his stage set and he shot baskets during the show. He never missed.

[​IMG]

9. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

As Charlie Murphy himself says at the end of the Prince sketch, "Man, there are some great story-tellers in the world. But who could that THAT $**** up?"

Rick James straight up admitted that his stories were true, too.

10. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Man, I hope they're true. Prince would be the man. Rick James is just crazy. But he can be the man too, just because Chappelle did a skit on him.

11. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

i think they're ture, afterall they're called, "charley murpheys true hollywood stories" but sometimes they seem to funny to be true, like the basketball game where the "revolution" came out to play with the same clothes, man that's funny.

12. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Pancakes?!?!!

13. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

well it was charles murphy himself who said "never judge a book by his cover." wow!

14. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

I think they are true. Of course, the Prince thing was embellished a bit for the sake of comedy (ie. the dunking and floating back to earth). Prince has a Basketball court at his Paisley Park Studios. I saw some MTV feature that had the Beastie Boys (pretty decent ballers in their own right) playing on it when they were laying some tracks there.

15. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Jimmy Jam raved about Prince's skills on the court in an interview a few years back, and I think Chris Rock commented on it in a VH1 interview he did with Prince in the late 90's.

JJ had no real reason to bring up Prince's game, I don't think they're particularly friendly or if they've worked together (wouldn't mind a little light on that subject from anyone here).

I was watching the Prince skit with my brother the first time it aired, and I got some points for telling him, "watch it, Prince is going to bust him ..."