1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question About Boki

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YaoIsBig, Apr 13, 2003.

1. YaoIsBig

YaoIsBig Member

I am a huge Rockets fan but don't get to see them much as I am at school in California. Since I basically have to go by box scores, I know next to nothing about Boki. But here's my dilemma. Clearly, the Rox were expecting to make the playoffs this year, or we would have traded the 15th pick to Memphis last year to fulfill the Francis deal, as our lottery pick would have been better than 15. Because Yao exceeded everyone's expectations (I think the most optimistic of us were expecting him to take a year to adjust to the NBA game) on draft day I was assuming we had to be really excited about Boki, because we HAD to be considering him to be a player who, along with Yao, could get us into the playoffs this season. I mean, if we weren't sure about Yao this season (and we couldn't have been) and DIDN'T think Boki was that kind of player, then we would have given the pick to Memphis, right? So anyway, I have been shocked all season at his lack of minutes. Has he just been a huge disappointment, or is he still expected to be a good player? Or am I completely missing something here? Thanks for filling me in.

2. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

From what I hear from Calvin Murphy is that Boki is going to be a great player. They drafted his so he can be our 1st round pick for next year. He should learn alot from Glen Rice so it's pretty good training for him. I hope he lives up to expectations!!

3. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

reading all the stuff about him before the draft, it sounded like he was ready to play, think if he didnt have that hernia that he could have had an affect this season? he is as good as they say, he would be a great backup for posey, if rice gets shipped this summer for hopefully a PF vet, it probably means that boki is good enough to at least play a backup 3 and the rox have been keeping him in secret

4. AGBee

AGBee Member

I'm not sure if I've ever seen a player that's as good as Boki supposedly is get buried so deep on the bench and IR list for a whole year.

I'm really curious to see him next year.

5. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

Actually this situation reminds me of Jonathan Bender. A good prospect coming out but rarely had any playing time, but Bender wasn't ready as to Boki, he was older when he came into the league but I hope they keep his confidence level up because the game is all about mentallity. Really. :)

6. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

From mostly seeing clips of overseas games but also his few minutes with the Rockets, I gotta say that he's a good passer and shooter, and he's decently athletic. His defense is TERRIBLE, though. I mean, not just your standard "well, he's European, give him a year," I mean it's really abnormally terrible. If he can get the defense somewhat sorted out he should contribute next season. He sure has more talent than TMo, and Rice is nearly gone.

7. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Boki is going to be a very, very good player!

Based on what I've seen from him, he's a very good runner/slasher.

He has something that a lot of players his size don't have: Speed AND Size! The guy has a huge step!

Anyone remember how Pippen used to run the floor on the fast break? What about Richard Jefferson! What about Shawn Marion? He's got those type of running/fast-break skills.

I've never seen a Rocket player that has such a long arm AND leg span, and was FAST too!
    Drexler was only 6'7". Boki is 6'9"! Put it this way. I think that Boki can be a better fast break player/dunker than Posey. Although I love Posey too. They have similar skills. Except... :)

Boki is learning...He's not very defensive savvy. He really hasn't learned American style plays and assignments.

Going from his game film overseas, he seemed to not run any plays. He seems to just wing it; i.e. compromise. They must have used him as an energy guy. A running-scorer. But, he really doesn't look comfortable setting picks, or actually going through set offensive plays. And he looks lost on defense. Effort? Not sure.

I hope he puts in the time and effort in the off-season to learn the system and get stronger on defense.

He has to tools to be a very good player. I just hope he has the drive to put in the work.

You guys are going to love him after his 2-3 year. I hope we don't trade him. He's got skills and you're going to love his creativity on the fast break and scoring! They guy can pass too!

He's not a Dan Langi. Trust me.

8. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

I HOPE I WILL LOVE HIM.

His defense is bad???

Why don't we go with zone defense? Yao Ming and Eddie Griffin will be dominant inside in the future. :D

I hope he is good...

Bostjan. Please be good.

Did he get any playing time in Europe? Cuz I heard he wasn't even a starter. He was a bench player and only averaged 14 ppg... ?

I hope he is good.

9. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

He didn't start, true. He was the backup to one of the best players in Europe whose name escapes me... "so why didn't we draft the starter," you ask? If I remember right, his age coupled with his lack of desire to move to the NBA made him irrelevant as a draft prospect.

10. Paul Harrison

Paul Harrison Contributing Member

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

When have you sen our phantom? Practice? or just the rare seconds he has been on the court?

I hope you're right but I have yet to see anything to prove or disprove...

12. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

<i>He didn't start, true. He was the backup to one of the best players in Europe whose name escapes me... "so why didn't we draft the starter," you ask? If I remember right, his age coupled with his lack of desire to move to the NBA made him irrelevant as a draft prospect</i>

You're getting your stories confused. Nikoloz Tskitishvili, who was the 5th pick in last year's NBA draft (Denver), was Nachbar's backup, not the other way around. Nachbar was the starter and got the buld of the minutes at Benetton and he went 15th. Tskitishvili was the backup, he played very little and he went 5th.

<i>Clearly, the Rox were expecting to make the playoffs this year, or we would have traded the 15th pick to Memphis last year to fulfill the Francis deal, as our lottery pick would have been better than 15.</i>

I don't believe that the Rockets had the option of sending the 15th pick to Memphis lst year. If I remember correctly, we would have had to send a pick within 3 of our own last year. If I'm remembering correctly, then that would have to be #7 or higher.