1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question about Austin Rivers

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by htownfan_9210, Jun 13, 2012.

1. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

Quick question... Is there a reason we couldnt groom Rivers into the same mold as Westbrook. Westbrook played shooting guard in college as well and was converted to PG. Rivers would then be a 6'5 pointguard with ball handling skills and explosiveness. The only thing he would have to work on really is his court vision and defense. But even then Westbrook's courtvision isn't that great either. Then draft Terrence Ross with the 16th pick.

Dragic/Rivers or reverse the two
    Martin/CLee or move Ross to the 2 if we trade martin
    Parsons/Ross
    DMo/Patterson
    Camby/Dalembert

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Lol, comparing Rivers and Westbrook, seriously?

3. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

Not saying he's Westbrook but what does Westbrook do well and what does Rivers do well? And what dont they do? At the end of the day it seems as though they play almost the same style.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Austin Rivers' explosiveness isn't in the same universe as Westbrook's. That's the difference.

5. cod

cod Member

Like how one was considered a lockdown defensive beast out of college and the other needs to work on it?

6. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

But Austin Rivers explosiveness is better than alot of other point guards in this league.. So he can get to the rim. And his crossover is deadly too

7. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

They're not saying Rivers cant play defense just that he loses his focus when he's on the defensive end. If he showed more interest i'm sure he'd be a pretty good defender.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

But your comparison was to Westbrook, not "a lot of other point guards in this league".

9. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

In my opinion Harden and Durant make Westbrook's point guard job easier and cover/make up for some of the mistakes he makes. Also if you notice, when Harden is on the game he has the ball about 50% of the time.

10. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

He'll be Ben Gordon or OJ mayo type.

11. jvu

jvu Member

Rivers = jr smith w/ dribbles.. Not that bad.

12. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Rivers is the 4th ranked SG in the draft. Westbrook is a physical prodigy and I really doubt that even Beal or Lamb have his level of talent. Rivers does not have the court vision to play the point.

13. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

He is the 3rd easily, and possibly 2nd on draft day when Lamb slips.

Most people like Beal, but I think he will be a bust.

My order:
    Lamb
    Rivers
    Beal

Actual order on draft:
    Beal
    Rivers
    Lamb

14. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

i think he'll become a courtney lee type player

15. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

One thing about RB, once he loses that ELITE athleticism and simply becomes a good athlete his career will be over. His whole game is predicated on exploding for that midrange jumper. Once he loses that edge, he becomes defendable by all the swing man defenders. He'll be done because the rest of his game is below average.

16. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

RB??? I am lost. You are going to have to help me out on this one.

17. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

He's got plenty of time before he has to worry about that, barring major injury. You're also assuming he won't continue to develop as a player. In time, he could learn to make better decisions and take better care of himself. He reminds me of Dwyane Wade when he came into the league. Drive to the basket, usually end up on the ground lol.

18. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I think you can compare them in the sense that they both may be able to make the switch, but there style of play is very different. And despite what people think, rivers has the size of a SG

19. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

He has the size of both. Big PG or small SG i'd take the former. I think i'm just looking at a different picture than everyone else. But I know if I was Tony Parker or CP3 I would hate to guard someone as quick as me, as good of handles as me, can shoot just as good as me, and is 4 or 5 more inches TALLER than me. SG I think in the league would eat Rivers alive they're stronger bigger and just as fast.

20. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

^ Agree. I think the ideal place for Rivers to go to is Philly where they already have playmaking wings to see the floor and run the offense. Personally I think he'd be a big upgrade to their mini-me version of JR. Smith (Lou Williams).