1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question about a traffic ticket

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BrownBeast99, Sep 3, 2011.

1. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Well Clutchfans, I just got my first ticket unfortunately :(. I wanted to ask for some advice to you all who may be lawyers or have experience with these types of traffic violations. Any information is appreciated.

I was coming home on I-10 at about 10:30pm driving in the far left lane going about 65mph. A police car was parked on the shoulder with its lights flashing for no reason. Yes, for no apparent reason. There was no accident, he didn't pull anyone over, nor was there any construction in the area. I slowed down slightly and passed him at 56mph (what he clocked me at). When he pulled me over, he said I'm supposed to pass him by at 20mph below the speed limit because it's "dangerous". Basically he said if there's an emergency vehicle on the side with lights flashing, I should slow down to 40mph on a freeway. Thing is, I would have slowed down like I usually do if he was there attending to an accident or if there was construction. But when I realized he was just there randomly, it confused me and I didn't slow down as much (I was still at 56mph, less than the speed limit).

My question is, is this worth getting a lawyer to fight the case, or should I just do defensive driving to clear the ticket? Ugh, this is such a mood killer. Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah get a lawyer he/she is being a jerk.

DD

3. hairyme

hairyme Member

WOW. That's really cheap. Sorry, I have no suggestions here, but I just wanted to chime in and say you got screwed by a bored cop. Was he actually out of his vehicle? If so, I would've slowed down to maybe 50ish--I didn't realize the rule was 20 under.

Anyway, you drove, while on the left lane, 65 and 56 alongside his car... He should have pulled you over to give you a medal for good driving.

4. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

No, he was inside his car. No one was outside anywhere on the freeway or shoulder. Pisses me off :mad:. Cops have better things to do like patrolling crime-infested areas fighting real crime instead of giving meaningless tickets to harmless drivers.

5. Mae

Mae Member

My guess is that he just got done pulling someone else over. Sometimes they tend to sit on the shoulder with their lights on for a little while afterwards to get their s**t together.

Sounds like he was being a dick. I'd fight it.

6. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

you were suppose to slow down 20 below limit, you didn't do it, he nailed you for it

you don't have a case

7. Mae

Mae Member

8. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

don't let IBTL get wind of this.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Other states have this same law. Either pull over a lane or go X mph under the limit when an emergency vehicle is pulled over. It seems your only defense is ignorance of the law since you readily admit you broke it.

10. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

At 10:30 there would have been plenty of room to get over a lane - normally the easier route rather than slowing down.

11. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

My friend got a 600 ticket parking in the handicap spot in the county. Is that right? Why on earth the violation cost more than speeding?

12. bobrek

How is the cop being a jerk? Regardless of why his lights were on, they were clearly on and visible. The OP clearly broke the law and admits doing so. The OP admittedly did not slow down because (in his mind) the cop wasn't tending to an emergency situation, although the OP had no idea what the cop was doing, and, based on what the OP wrote, he knew he was supposed to slow down, so it seems he knew the law.

The OP should not have taken it upon himself to decide what the cop was doing and simply followed the law.

13. bobrek

Why did your friend park in a handicap space?

14. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Might as well drop my question here; anyone know if you have to give any personal info or personally sign anything if you are calling a tow truck to pick up an illegally parked vehicle?

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

You gotta fight fire with fire

[​IMG]

jk don't do that

16. bobrek

In Minnesota you don't (at least in the two examples where I know someone who called a tow truck on illegally parked cars).

1 person likes this.
  17. got em COACH

He was just being a lazy bum who doesn't want to walk his fat a** to cvs for a 2 minute run but does the 600 fine for a hanidcap violation fit the crime? that's like having 3 speeding tickets for one offense.

18. bobrek

If I were handicapped, I would agree that $600 does fit the crime. Was this in Texas?

http://www.wfaa.com/news/Handicap-parking-fines-increase--114963154.html

19. got em COACH

I reckon so it was in texas. Houston to be exact. He said he's going to fight it to lower the fine because the sign wasn't there. He took pictures of the bolted frame where a handicap pole sign use to be there and that cvs have it in the back because someone had knocked it over. Even though the sign is not present, they still have a giant blue square handicap symbol painted on the lot.

20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That does suck but if i see a cop on the side of the road with his lights on I do slow down some (like you did) but I also move over a lane.

But I doubt the fine is worth the lawyer fees and your time to try and argue.