1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Qualls and Feldman

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by bootsdaddy, Aug 26, 2014.

1. bootsdaddy

bootsdaddy Member

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The Astros will not move them just to move them. If a team is willing to overpay for them ...

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Qualls depends a lot on who we can get.

I'd have let Feldman go if he was claimed. He's not terrible, but the Astros have a number of arms ready to fill his spot.

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Feldman unclaimed, but I agree that we should let him go if someone picks up all the salary in a trade and gives back a decent PTBNL or something

Qualls, same boat--only if a team in the hunt overpays. We are ready to try to start winning from the beginning next year, and the bullpen bets have not paid off (Albers, Crain, etc.). Letting Qualls go now means signing someone else and hoping in the offseason. Of course, Qualls is 36, so next season might be his last in Houston either way.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The Astros would give Feldman away if they could, they would even be willing to eat some salary, nothing needed in return.

I don't see how Qualls is in the same boat, the Astros actually want him moving forward. There is a reason he was claimed and not Feldman.

6. kaleidosky

I wasn't clear. Qualls, same boat as the post I replied to. Not as Feldman.

I disagree that they should eat salary on Feldman though--unless they get something decent back. He's pitched well in 5 of his last 6. You're probably right that they'd give him away at full salary for nothing, though.

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I do not think that this is the case at all. I suspect that the Astros are quite happy with how well Feldman has played. He has not had any significant injury. He has played to the value of the contract. He is not blocking any sure-fire prospect(s). He has helped the Astros become an average team.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

$10 million a year for a guy with a 0.5 WAR?

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Fangraphs has his WAR at 1.0 (I'm a BR guy myself, but I want to throw that out there).

He'll have $18M/2 years remaining, which does seem close to FMV, but teams are less inclined to add that kind of salary during the season.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I don't mind Feldman... he's been reliable and fairly consistent... but if his salary prevents moves elsewhere, then I will like his signing less and less.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yes, please.

12. kaleidosky

I'd also point out that his last 2 years were 2.3 and 2.0 WAR (even with a 5.09 ERA which was far from his FIP and xFIP in 2012). So this year might be the aberration moreso than last.

13. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Supposedly the Tigers made a claim

Rumor is that the Tigers made a claim on Qualls to try and shore up their bullpen. Tigers only have a couple more years, at best, left in contention, so they may be willing to overpay via a trade. But they have one of the worst farms in MLB, as they've gutted the farm to make runs the past few years.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm more of a Fangraphs person myself. 1 fWAR was estimated to be worth about $6.2M this season. Assuming he continues at the pace he is expected to finish this season at for the last two years of his deal, he'll be worth about $14/2 for free agents. Definitely looking like a bad deal right now. Not the worst deal and definitely not crippling.

Here's to hoping he can rebound and get back to being a ~4 FIP pitch.

#14 Joe Joe, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  15. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

If the 18 million remaining on his salary prevents us from making any other moves, then we are gonna be screwed long term as fans anyway

16. Buck Turgidson

This is ludicrously silly.

17. bootsdaddy

bootsdaddy Member

Wouldn't Feldman be useful for a team that might make a push at .500 next year? At least as a back of the rotation guy? I like Qualls better but he's getting up there in age.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If that team had a starting spot available.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yes... and so would an extra $10 million dollars, provided that his cheaper replacement could be a back of the rotation guy as well.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not really...

I don't want this team spending just to spend.... which is essentially what they did with Feldman (overpaying a #3 or #4 starter to make their overall payroll somewhat respectable).

I also don't want them locked into any long term high paying contracts with pitchers (nothing more than 3 years), and past their prime (or end of prime) position players looking for that one big paycheck. Even big market teams tend to end up struggling when those acquisitions fail.

Make no mistake, they're going to need to field a lineup of more than just prospects and call ups... but those guys are going to be role players. The stars have to be developed from within. The bullpen would also be best developed from within (with the "abundance" of pitching in the minors, it would be shocking if those guys couldn't at least fill some of the key bullpen roles).

Just with their homegrown guys alone... the payroll will start creeping up (as Castro/Fowler hit arbitration, Singleton's contract kicks in, and they likely negotiate some sort of arbitration/FA year buyout on Springer)