1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Q&A with Morey [need questions]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by atam, Jul 17, 2018.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Ask him what softwares or programming languages his analytics teams favor using in their day to day analysis of NBA players.

slpntz likes this.
  2. bongman

bongman Member

How many songs will Clint record next year?

DonKnock likes this.
  3. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

whats his real clutchfans username and did he send positive vibes to Ryno

mikol13 likes this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

is an MBA really necessary? serious question.

5. xaos

xaos Member

The general notion from fans is that because we are already over lux tax amount it doesn’t affect our flexibility if we were to re-sign a player for say 5M vs 15M. Other than having the ability to move the contract if needed and obvious lux tax issues, are there any other constraints to the team from signing a player above our perceived market value?

DonKnock likes this.
  6. xaos

xaos Member

If I were a gummy bear, how many Lebrons would Golden State eat to become a cupcake?

Jontro likes this.
  7. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Depending on the theme of the talk. Since it's an MBA talk, I guess the focal point would be on management / analysis.

I would ask him

- whether the stat-driven and qualitative analysis / scouting are done by the same group of people, and how the voices/outputs are balanced/managed?
    - given the longer history of available data, how often does he discover that previously widely held opinions are not / no longer supported by data and may not be tenable? Perhaps some examples?

Wish I can sneak into the Uris Hall and the talk without being blocked by the Security.

8. xaos

xaos Member

How much quantitative data, if any, is used to determine the change in “chemistry” an acquisition/trade/move has on the team?

If any, what kind and how?

DonKnock likes this.
  9. Nimo

Nimo Member

If your goal is to win a championship (or get 3 super stars), how do you look at a season (or offseason) as a success if you don't accomplish the goal.

10. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

awesome man! i thought maybe he was doing this in houston by chance.

11. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

I got this one. Not really, but the next guy has one and it LOOKS like he is smarter/more qualified, so you get one to level the playing field.

mikol13, napalm06 and Os Trigonum like this.
  12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

In an industry like the NBA, how do you balance the twin goals of making money and winning a championship when you look at paying luxury tax? How do you judge whether a particular move is 'worth' the luxury tax penalty?

DonKnock and heypartner like this.
  13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Good question. Morey has somewhat answered this before. The answer you might get is about CBA flexibility of staying below the Apron ... gives you more exceptions, etc.

So, I'd qualify the question with, "Once you are over the Apron, how do you balance ... [ the rest of your question]."

DonKnock likes this.
  14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Sure. For me, I'm interested in the money question which might be more appropriate to Tillman. Flexibility is a dodge. Mostly I'm thinking about Ryan Anderson and how much competitiveness should a team be willing to sacrifice to get out from under the cash flow hit that he represents between salary and tax.

15. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

How many shots they have players take in an average practice.

Also ask what kinds of conditioning the players do and if they have any sort of bio tracking that they use to see if a player is close to redlining/overuse injury.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

ask if he has heard of jontro and can he hook jontro up with a job in the organization?

napalm06, Corrosion and Os Trigonum like this.
  17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

More Chins than what's inside a Chinese phonebook.

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Now that the Kings have enough space, what are you willing to trade away to offload Ryno's contract to them?

Please and thank you.

19. yaoistall

yaoistall Member

Once and for all, what yard line are we at?

DonKnock and Os Trigonum like this.
  20. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

How would you characterize your management/leadership style? What organizational qualities do you think are important in an NBA front office (staff)?