1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Q & A with Gene Peterson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tigermission1, Nov 13, 2005.

1. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Good interview, he talks about his favorite Rockets memories, and says the T-Mac 'Miracle' was the best moment he ever witnessed (that says a lot considering the great team of the 1990's). He's full of praise for Barry and JVG, pretty good stuff from the 'voice' of the Rockets...

http://www.nba.com/news/greenroom_051112.html

Hanging Out in the NBA TV Green Room With ... Gene Peterson

There is a saying that everything is bigger in Texas. Well, when it comes to Rockets basketball, few names are bigger than that of Gene Peterson. For more than 30 years, Peterson, along with partner Jim Foley, has brought the travails of the Rockets to the fans of Houston through the intonations of his smooth and familiar baritone voice. Having started in broadcasting 43 years ago, Peterson, a native of Albert Lea, Minnesota, has witnessed just about all there is to see on the hardwood. Prior to an appearance on NBA TV on Friday night, Gene sat down with us in the NBA TV Green Room to discuss the state of the Rockets and some of the highlights of his distinguished career.

Q: So the most important thing regarding the Rockets is obviously Tracy McGrady’s status. What’s the latest word on his back?

Peterson: McGrady is fine. The back is minor stuff, nothing the Rockets have any worries about. He should be playing real soon.

Q: It seems that Yao has been throwing his body around more this season and has been more willing to mix it up and get physical underneath. Have you seen any changes in his game this season?

Peterson: Yao definitely worked out in the offseason. He is stronger than last year. He’s a heck of a player, but the thing is he’s got to do so much now with McGrady out, it’s tough for him. He’s still right around 20 and 10 though.

Q: A lot has been made through the first four games of the Rockets not being able to hang onto fourth quarter leads. What do you think the reason for this is?

Peterson: A lot of it has to do with intensity. You’ve got to be intense and you’ve got to play smart. Last year we got off to a similar start, but this year, with McGrady out, I can understand why. These players haven’t won yet, but Van Gundy is a winner. He’s always been a winner everywhere he’s coached and he’ll straighten things out.

Q: How have the Rockets new additions, Stromile Swift, Derek Anderson, and in particular, Rafer Alston, looked so far?

Peterson: They’re all great additions, but the system that Jeff [Van Gundy] has is different than any other system that these guys have played in. Plus, when you have players out, mainly your star player, you don’t get a chance to get everybody in the right rotations. We’ve had two or three different starting lineups and we’ve only played four games. It takes a little time to adjust, but Rafer is doing well and he’s a great kid. I haven’t seen anything that warranted the bad press he got in Toronto. In fact, Jon Barry won’t let it happen. Barry is the best locker room guy I’ve seen in over 30 years. There is a great camaraderie and all three of those guys, Swift, Anderson and Alston, are going to work into the system very well. One thing I promise you, if you are in Jeff Van Gundy’s system, you will play defense, or you won’t play.

Q: Over the course of your 31 years as Rockets broadcaster spanning 2,428 games, you’ve only missed 21 games, which is incredible. What happened to those 21 and how much longer do you see yourself as the voice of the Rockets?

Peterson: I actually had triple bypass surgery back in ‘92. That happened in mid October and I was back on the air the 17th of December. I’m a quick healer. I’ve agreed to a year’s extension after this year and after that I’ve considered retirement. I don’t want to be 85 doing this, but I want to stay with the organization. Maybe if I could do home games, that would be terrific. Something like that.

Q: What have been some of your favorite memories having seen the Rockets over the last 31 years?

Peterson: The win back in ’81 over L.A., which was the first year we were in the Finals, was special. Back then it was two out of three in the first round. We beat the Lakers with Magic and Kareem and ultimately ended up in the Finals against Boston that year. Then with Ralph Sampson and Hakeem playing together in ’86, that was another special time. Ralph hit the big hoop against the Lakers again. We beat them four out of five, losing the first game and then sweeping the rest. The back-to-back championships were incredible. I think the Rockets were better than the Knicks in ’94. And I think Olajuwon was better than Ewing. That was the key to it. Even down 3-2, going home I felt confident, but Game 6 was a scary one because Starks, who couldn’t hit the ocean from the beach in the seventh game, during that sixth game, had one going right from my angle, and Olajuwon blocked it. That might have gone in and that would have been it had he not blocked that shot, but he got it. We weren’t a lot better, but we were better, and that’s why the series was as good as it was, why it went seven games and every game went down to the wire. When I’m around Van Gundy at parties I wear my ring from the second championship when we swept the Magic. The other ring when we beat the Knicks, I don’t wear that, but I tease him about it.

My most exciting moment in terms of an individual effort, though, was Tracy McGrady’s 13 points in 35 seconds to beat the Spurs. I have never seen anything like it and never will again. Unreal. And he caused it all. Not only did he score it, he stole the ball. I have never seen Popovich so mad. He absolutely went nuts.

There have been a lot of great memories. Just watching all of these great players come in over the years and watching them retire and to see them hanging the jerseys, it’s been a lot of fun.

#1 tigermission1, Nov 13, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2005
  2. Parlett316

Parlett316 Contributing Member

Gene is the man.

3. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

:(

We better hurry up and win that next championship. Just wouldn't be the same without Gene's "How sweet it is!".