1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Put yourself in Morey's shoes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SugarLandDream8, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

you're not going to get an allstar like Smith for Lin and Smith.Asik is the cornerstone of any deal. The Hawks value Asik very highly as they should.

2. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

The past is the past and Jlin lit up the NBA for period of time, however, for us to expect him to do that for 82 games, just will not happen. He has a ton of work to do with regards to finishing at the rim and his mid range game. His defense is suspect as a Aaron Hernandez.

He has positive qualities, very smart player, sees the court well and has stretches where we see him excel.

Bottom line to get Jeff Teague and Smith for Lin, Asik, DoMo, R White, I would do it in a heartbeat, a nano second. I would hire the moving company and coordinate the move myself.

Not afraid of another Linsanity run. Also, does anyone have any idea of how much Les makes and what risk does he face if JLin moves on. He still has Yao, who is the real cash cow of his Chinese operation.

3. SugarLandDream8

Yao is retired. It's been 4+ years since Yao has played a minute for the Rockets. The Rockets was losing the China connection the last few years until Jeremy signed with the Rockets.

4. HoustonTexas

HoustonTexas Member

Why would someone offer a superstar for Jeremy Lin. I like Lin I think he will do good next season and want him to stay unless we get an upgrade and absolutely have to trade him. You are acting like Jeremy Lin can lead a team to a championship. Yes, Linsanity can happen again on a team where he is the man but if the Rockets are better and have a better shot at winning then who cares.

5. PrawnJ

PrawnJ Member

I personally like Lin being our point guard for the future..However I have a question. (This is assuming we have dwight)

Is it possible for Lin to just go "Hey just give me a 4-5 million contract. I just want to stay with this team and I know because of the current CBA, the salary cap must be managed well at all times. Thank you all for giving me a huge contract the last time around, a few million less doesn't matter much to me. Just give the remainder to charity or something (so assuming his market value 10 million and he takes a 5 million contract, the rockets then spends 5 million on charity work"

This was rockets would have room to resign parsons/asik or get more pieces. All I want to know is that is it possible for a player to do this? Lin seems the selfless kind of person. Sounds ridiculous I know, but if I am not the super star of the team but I bring enough to the table to help my team over the top, I wouldn't mind doing something like this..

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

I would feel pretty uncomfortable, unless he knows a lot more than we do. (hopefully, he does.)

7. PrawnJ

PrawnJ Member

Sorry, fixed the mistake

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Much as I'd like to put myself in Morey's shoes, and make a large withdrawal from his bank account, I seriously doubt that our shoes are the same size. Mine being large and extra wide, something my significant other says is the reason we've been an item, off and on (mostly on), since 1974. Still trying to figure out what she means by that. So I can't "put myself in Morey's shoes," OP. Morey's shoes would be too small. And you know what they say...

If the shoe don't fit, you must acquit.

(bwahahahahaha!!)

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-I_T3XvzPaM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Diamonds in the soles of his shoes

Rocket River

10. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

Instead of being in such a hurry to trade Lin maybe we should give him some support of the bench someone who could teach him to be a better pg. Maybe a Chauncy Billips: who learned similar lessons to Lin early in his career. For example as a coach look at what Sam Cassel did for John Wall he is now a pg that’s worth a max contract.

11. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

If Lin is moved, it needs to be for another PG

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

They don't fit uuhh...urrr...what size are those shoes?! Git my shoe size murraay!

13. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

These shoes don't fit.

14. Panda23

Panda23 Member

probably not ive got flat feet

dat plantar faciitisisi

15. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

I have watched every single game this season. It would be nice if Lin given the same freedom as Beverly had. This is not even an issue of Harden vs Lin.

16. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

It just seems like an un-Morey like move to trade Lin right now. Morey likes to buy low and sell high, unless he's force to for cap space reasons (T-Rob) or cutting losses on proven failures (Flynn, T-Will).

With Lin, he would be selling low if he traded Jeremy right now because the market value is impacted by the surgery recovery at the beginning of last season and by the playoff injury. That somewhat negates the good performance Jeremy put up for the second half of the season.

If he wanted to gain max value for Lin, he should try to get Lin's value up by having Howard and/or Smith finishing Lin's dishes and lobs for assists. Having Lin perform for a year the way he did in the last half of last season, Morey would be able to pump up his value and get more in return at the trade deadline.

It would be a Morey move to trade Asik now and not Lin. Because Asik's numbers will surely decline with Dwight on the team taking up minutes and rebounds and shots, while Lin's numbers will rise from assists to Dwight/JSmoove. Lin will have rising stats and Asik will have falling ones. The Morey move will be to trade Asik now and hold onto Lin and trade Lin at the deadline next year.

17. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

As an Asian living in Asia, I would respectfully disagree. I would agree with you yes NBA and Yao is a factor. But Yao is not playing anymore and he never got a ring. So yes there is a already a big market.

Chinese/Asians are hungry for Heros which they can identify, Lin just opened up a whole new market.
    Alot of Non-basketball followers suddenly became fans. Hence clutchfans getting swamped . And in the marketing World growth is King.

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I too have watched every game this season, expensive ass Comcast. Beverly did not have more freedoms than Lin, he was just in with second units more often then not which means he had to take more control of the ball. When Beverly played with Harden he was a spot up shooter who would crash offensive boards, basically the same player as Lin minus the aggressiveness. It was an issue of Harden vs Lin in the context I was referring to, Harden is the top dog not Lin and that's not debatable. He should defer to Harden, that doesn't mean he doesn't have a role on the team if he can be a good shooter and drive or pnr every once in a while. This team may not play to his strengths but there are not a lot of teams where Lin would be the go to guy in general. I like Lin, but for what he is, a serviceable starting point guard, not an elite player.

19. kcd

kcd Member

Probably because Lin played mostly with Harden. Anyways it's just how it is when your best player likes to handle the ball a lot, other players will have to defer.

20. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

could be interesting if Lin starts off as a 6th man.