1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Put yourself in Morey's shoes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SugarLandDream8, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Asik>>>>>Lin

Morey needs to do all be can to sign and trade Lin for Smith instead of Asik. PGs like Jeremy are a dime a dozen. And Lin is overpaid as well.

2. SugarLandDream8

Of course Harden is better than Lin. So what. Lin is as good of a teammate as you'll get. He never once complained or tried to compete with Harden. Lin knows he needs to defer to Harden and he did willingly all season long.

Now if we get Howard, good luck with Harden as the 1st, 2nd and 3rd option like he was this season.

Howard was friends with Kobe and played with him in the Olympics before they teamed up.

Lin will defer to Harden and Howard which is why he fits in. And Lin will not complain either which is what you need when there are 2 superstars.

I like Asik a lot but I wonder if he will be OK with playing 10 minutes a game like he did in Chicago. Howard needs at least 38 mpg which leaves Asik 10. Neither seem capable of playing PF for any significant minutes.

Again my opinion.

3. Rocket PR

Rocket PR Member

I rather sign a guy like C.Billups if we get Howard and Smith. His very good at catch and shoot, knows how to take care of the ball and most of all His CLUTCH !!! :)

4. Rocket PR

Rocket PR Member

Agreed

5. jocar

jocar Member

[​IMG]

Sorry, but I think you're understating China's love for Yao's Rockets squad a bit much just to prop Lin up.
    Either that, or you have Taiwan and China confused. There is a reason Chuck Hayes, Shane Battier and Luis Scola still have their own shoe lines in China, and Brooks and Tmac are still heroes over there. They don't owe any of that to Jeremy.

Having said that, I've always been a supporter and I want to see him flourish on this team. His contract @ $8M is the only problem, and I think Morey deals anyone anytime it increases our odds at a title. The gains and notoriety from being NBA champions would dwarf Lin's endorsements.
    Les said he's willing to spend money to become champions, not the other way around. I like Lin more as a person than Asik, but Asik is way outperforming his contract. That's why I think Lin's the first to get dealt, if we need cap.

6. kcd

kcd Member

Exactly, I think at this point people just want this to be over with. Hopefully Howard makes up his mind soon. But whatever happens happen.

7. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

I saw this in another thread and I think it is worth being discussed

if Morey told Dwight that he will be playing with asik and lin, the rumors about them being shopped around would certainly put question marks on what will the Rockets team look like when he arrives... it would also make the rockets FO look like a bunch of heartless evil dudes not valuing their players...

1 person likes this.
  8. Rokman

Rokman Member

LOL! Great quote. I will make sure to pass that one on to my kids as a little pearl of wisdom.

9. SugarLandDream8

That and also some people just hate Lin because he is Asian American. Even some members of the media. That will take any opportunity to make stuff up.

Morey seems like a stand up guy. I don't know him from Adam but I doubt he is a liar.

I believe him that he is not shopping Lin/Asik. Now if in the future there is a chance to get a superstar for them he might trade them. But I doubt Morey is trying to dump them for cap relief like some are reporting the last few days.

Asik, however, might be shopped in the future if Howard is signed. Really with Howard, Asik's 20 million/2 years is a bit much for someone playing 10 mpg. Howard needs 38 mpg.

10. kcd

kcd Member

Don't you think Morey has to be careful what he says though in case Howard doesn't sign? He doesn't want alienate them until he has an answer.

11. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

He is not trading Lin,

He is the starting pg of the team and let's face it, if there was a S&T to be had with Atlanta for J Smith, they are not going for JLin.

People here is full of hate and he wasn't even bad this year. If you are measuring him to his NY breakout days, they you are just foolish.

Anyone can see he got better, much better as the season progressed. And playoff, sure, one bad game were the whole team caved. Then he got hurt.

The GM will not trade Lin unless they have answer for starting PG. There is no starting PG other than Lin on the team and he has earned his spot.

2 people like this.
  12. hooroo

hooroo Member

In this case, it's not would he, but can he?

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's unfair. Brooks was traded AFTER he was down and got outplayed by Lowry. Plus Brooks started to have attitude problems.

Again, Lowry was let go AFTER Dragic has proven to be a quality starter AFTER Lowry was down with the illness. Plus, Lowry was a malcontent by the time he came back.

Beverley has yet to prove that he is a better player than Lin. And Lin is not having an attitude problem. Now, if Beverley continues to improve into a quality starter, then history may repeat itself again.

14. SugarLandDream8

Morey is not a liar. He use to say when asked about traded

"No one is untouchable except Yao/Tmac" then "No one is untouchable except Yao" then No one is untouchable.

If he was shopping Lin/Asik he would not lie. He point out said he wasn't shopping them. If he was he would use his old line "No one is untouchable except Harden".

Anyone who calls Morey a liar or playing the GM game needs to study his history.

He wont say what he said on the radio if he was shopping those guys. Morey knows how to spin words the right way.

15. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

I agree 100%, I think morey is too clever to get himself caught flat out lying... he would rather say that he dont like to talk about it or something generic like only so and so is untouchable... lying will only damage his reputation, and career...

16. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Being careful on what you say and Flat out lying are 2 different things... you can be careful and not lie...

17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Classic good player on a bad team. Trade him while his value is high. It's the Morey way.

He'll do great in Atlanta where he's the offensive focal point! They might even make the playoffs. But they're fan forum will turn to jelly and they'll probably have a losing record.

Edit: Lin will also "get hurt" so bad that he can only play like 1 or maybe 2 games in the playoffs. But he'll be rocking once summer league games in SF start.

Bye, Lin. No need to rely on what can't be counted on.

18. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

Jocar, are you mistakenly correcting alin86 for saying the same thing?

I also wanted to chime in that the the marketing impact of Lin in China is heavily overstated. The Rockets are a team that Chinese in China follow because of Yao's time (and even McGrady), not Jeremy Lin. They do not care for Lin just because he's racially Chinese in large part because he's an ABC. Lin's market is mostly Asians in the US.

1 person likes this.
  19. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Yeah he said what you said Jocar, just misinterpreted i guess, nbd.

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

I would like to put myself in Mauri's pants.