1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[PS4] The Last of Us: Part II

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mrm32, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Beezy

Beezy Member

Just caught the end of GoldGlove’s stream after he finished it - he gave it a 10/10 and easy GOTY unless Cyberpunk pulls off a miracle. His responses to toxic chat were classic.

#81 Beezy, Jun 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    fchowd0311 likes this.
  2. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Media disc drives should be obselete anyways given what flash sticks, cloud, or ssd can do anyways.

#82 Sanctity, Jun 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

They are still a good option if you want to use the device as a Blu-ray player.

CCity Zero and tinman like this.
  4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People want the UHD HDR Blu Rays

For example, no streaming version can match the Gemini Man UHD Disc that runs at 60 FPS with a significantly higher bit rate and in Dolby Atmos

CCity Zero and Yung-T like this.
  5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The newer systems are also part of the home entertainment hub

and Sony were the people who won the Blu-Ray war
    It would be dumb of them not to including a system without it

They got to sell some Sony Bravia OLEDs and overrated soundbars too

6. val_modus

val_modus Member

About 5 hours in. Game of the year so far for me. Don't listen to the bombers; experience it for yourself.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  7. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Don't believe the review bombers hiding in their mothers basement. This game is just as good or maybe even better than the original. WOW! Intense as hell, and great story line so far. I am about 12 hours in, and I cannot get enough. LOVE IT! GOTY easily right now, until Cyberpunk comes out.

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I think the majority of criticism concerns the second half and ending, so please also give us your thoughts after the game ends.

9. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

Tense, thrilling, puts you in a few uncomfortable situations. Beautiful and the combat is near perfection.

An absolute master piece of a game.

fchowd0311 and boomboom like this.
  10. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

Just terrible points from someone that is angry he isn't playing part 1....again.

Saves girl, run from horde to their hideout, "Hey I'm XXXX"

At this point you expect Joel in that situation to....

1. Give side eyes and stay quiet?
    2. Run out immediately?
    3. Start bashing heads?

Your point is flawed. Its an excuse for another agenda.

fchowd0311 and boomboom like this.
  11. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I've tried playing through part 1 twice and just fell off. The second time was a couple of weeks ago trying to play through it before maybe picking up Part 2 and stopped about half way. I know the whole story of Part 1 and everything but the minute to minute gameplay just got really old for me. I usually love third person, story driven games like Uncharted, Spiderman, God of War, etc but I just couldn't get into playing through the whole first game. I actually watched a gameplay of the second half of the first game and was happy I didn't keep going. I just felt like it was the same thing time and time again... walk, walk, walk, oh there are enemies, sneak, sneak, sneak, get caught somehow, bash/shoot my way out of it, rinse and repeat. I just felt like I was tolerating the gameplay just to get to the next story beat. I'm not pissing on the game. I can easily see how good it is and why people love it so much but it just didn't connect with me. My sentiments go for Metal Gear Solid 5 as well... an overall great reviewed game I couldn't connect with. I think maybe a game based around a sneaking mechanic just doesn't do it enough for me.

Now I've heard the gameplay in Part 2 is vastly improved but mostly the same. I'm waffling on picking this up now. I'm REALLY looking for something to play right now and this is THE game out at the moment. But, for those of you that have played or are playing through Part 2, would the improvement in gameplay and the story/environments be enough to connect with or is the gameplay still to the point someone like me would still not get into?

Thanks for the input.

12. val_modus

val_modus Member

There’s a lot more. Much more environmental interaction. Ellie is much more agile than Joel. Enemy AI vastly improved. I’d say give it a shot.

13. Juxtaposed Jolt

Really? And what agenda might that be?

"Terrible points" = hyperfocuses on one singular point. Like the other poster that disagreed with me. Too funny.

To your first point, yes - to an extent. Joel might not have to have his "I'm suspicious" sliders turned all the way up to 100, but it just seems to me like, after 25 years of being in TLoU's world, you'd exercise some form of caution when meeting new people. With the events of the first game, Joel pretty much ended the Fireflies group and single-handedly ended any hopes of a vaccine. You don't think there'd be ex-Fireflies and/or other people that are pissed at this revelation, wanting to exact some sort of revenge?

To points 2 and 3 - they just don't make any sense. Obviously he's not going to run out immediately or starting picking fights against a group that outnumbers him and in an environment that he doesn't know the layout of.

His character just seems so drastically different from the first game. And then the game just kills him off, where you don't even spend one second of gameplay as him. No closure for the protagonist of the first game. He just...dies.

The people in this thread defending this game can't seem to distinguish between the characters / plot and the gameplay. Is the gameplay great? Of course, since it's similar to the first game. There's even skill trees in this one and the graphics are (obviously) way better than TLoU 1.

No one is crapping on the beauty of the game. But to choose character development (or lack thereof) as the mountain to die on, is just strange to me.

Just like you won't change my mind, I won't change yours. If you haven't been spoiled yet and if you love the first one, by all means, play the second one. Just go into the game prepared for anything.

Yung-T likes this.
  14. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Rep'd for username and icon.

15. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Neil Druckmann (director), Ashley Johnson (Ellie), and Troy Baker (Joel) discuss the game's story, including some of the same major story points discussed in this thread:
    why is Joel so trusting, why kill him that way, the ending, etc.

Full of spoilers of course, so don't watch unless you're OK with that.

Troy in particular seemed bothered by people who might have read the leaks but didn't actually play the game, especially if they came away upset with the story. I do wonder how I might have approached the game if I read the leaks. I would have preferred playing it instead of watching a playthrough, but even with what I did, some of these criticisms really seem weird to me. I could see it sounding bad in a quick summary, but the execution generally makes everything flow and make more sense.

I do have issues with the pacing in places (probably would have been worse if I actually had to play it), and I think they could have done a better job developing some characters (not the mains ones usually discussed). But as I said earlier, I think the important pieces were all done fairly well, and I'm enjoying reflecting on some of ideas presented.

16. CCorn

CCorn Member

I ****ing hate dogs. I’ve been caught sneaking like 15 times. About to just put mines at all entrances of a house and take on 20 people

17. noize

noize Contributing Member

Just finished the game. Wow what a ride. This games loves to mess with your mind. With that said I'm proud to say that I've become a part of team Abby!

Beezy likes this.
  18. RohanRider1

RohanRider1 Member

Just finished it and it was great. I really don't get what all the hate is about...

fchowd0311 likes this.
  19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Probably because you aren't addicted to YouTube.

20. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

Absolutely breathtaking game. 10/10