1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[PS4] The Last of Us: Part II

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mrm32, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Juxtaposed Jolt

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What is the gameplay most similar to?

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

Uh...the first game.

:D

But it's like past Naughty Dog games (Uncharted) with survival horror. It's like Uncharted meets Resident Evil.

4. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

I don't play many video games any more, but I'm really looking forward to this one. I've watched a few gameplay videos and have been avoiding video game sites religiously of late so I don't have anything spoiled.

Sucker Punch's Ghost of Tsushima comes out in July and will be the last AAA first party title released for the PS4.

5. noize

noize Contributing Member

Lots of controversy going on with this one. Looks like it will divide amongst the gamer. Not sure what to make of it until its released this Friday.

6. Juxtaposed Jolt

Forgot about that game! Looks interesting.

7. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I feel so, so, so sorry for those huge fans of TLOU who are not reading the reviews and going in to this blind.

Based off the rage i'm feeling after having the ending and plot point leaks confirmed, I cannot imagine what a fan is going to feel when they see this for themselves after paying top dollar on the game.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Without spoiling it for me (I have no clue about any leaks or reviews), what's the deal the game is trash? How could they have made one of the GOAT games trash?

Is it a sort of like the first half of game of thrones vs the last half?

I remember in the release video that the girl is lesbian, is it all about that or something?

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Probably people can’t handle when things like that happens. Rather her bang a zombie than do any same sex stuff.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I watched some non spoiler reviews and the those guys seem to really love the game. What I gathered was, people are upset about a progressive agenda being pushed... well uh, guess that just makes it a better for me I guess.

I'm hoping it lives up to the hate, with the ending being lots of gay sex with legal weed and Bernie becoming prez. That'd be kewl.

11. Downtown Sniper

I think people are going to rate this as much worse than the final season of Game of Thrones.

I'll ask you a question: what was the one thing you loved most about the first game?

Is your answer going to be the characters themselves?

Got nothing to do with that whatsoever fella. If it did I wouldn't have played the sh*t out of the original DLC.

Again. There's going to be plenty of people annoyed at agendas being shoved down their throats via a platform that they generally use to escape the real world.

As mentioned in the reply to pele above - it's got nothing to do with any of that whatsoever.

You kid about the end being a joke now.... oh lordy when you actually see the end.

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This seems like too sensational of a take to be true, it will be interesting to see how the game plays out, from some of the reviews I watched they seem to say playing the game is much better than the visceral reaction from watching the spoilers without context, also much worse then the final season of GOT is a hell of a thing to say.

My favorite thing about the 1st game, mostly the world. Characters are an important part of the game being enjoyable, but what stood out and attracted me the most to the first game was being emersed in a beautiful post-apocalyptic world, then the gameplay being good, the shooting feeling good, and the characters and story all come together to make it a GOAT game.

13. Downtown Sniper

Obviously to each their own as we react in different ways to different things.

Without trying to spoiler anything.

My explanation would be, picture Naughty Dog taking what you loved about the first game, what people gravitated to the first game for. They took it, laughed a maniacal laugh and ensured they went the farthest from the first game as they possibly could in this sense.

For games/movies I am excited to experience for the first time I always avoid reviews. There were too many people warning about the leaks for me not to pay attention, and I'm glad I did.

There's no need to elaborate on it further as I don't want to dampen your mood since you're obviously looking forward to this game.

Remember this post - i'll be very interested to hear your take once you finish the game.

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Ah man I have no idea and have never played the game. I did watch a walkthrough of about a 1/4 of the original. I was just talking about in general.

15. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I like the direction of the plot twist. I'm glad ND didn't just roll out The Hangover 2 and then start counting the gazillions rolling in. Ballsy storytelling.

16. Juxtaposed Jolt

I 'know' about the plot twist, but didn't really read further as I plan to play this game sooner rather than later.

So I don't think the uproar surrounding Part II is about gender orientation or anything resembling a social issue. I think it's just that the plot twist is extremely jarring / comes out of left field, which completely undermines the hours put into the game, not to mention the player experience.

Downtown Sniper and boomboom like this.
  17. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

@Juxtaposed Jolt

I do think you are spot on that the relationship the player has developed with key characters will be turned on its head.

18. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I probably won't get a chance to play this until sometime after the PS5 launches. I ended up binging some walkthroughs on Youtube just so I wouldn't have to worry about spoilers.

I'm not going to discuss specifics here, but I'll spoiler tag just in case:
    I'm generally OK with the big decisions they made with the story involving certain characters, and the themes they wanted to push. I think it probably could have been executed better (e.g., I might have preferred cutting that last "chunk" from the story), and I'm also not a huge fan of "revenge" plots in general, so I would probably prefer TLOU1 over TLOU2 from an overall plot standpoint. The original game seemed to have a fairly simple premise that was executed very well, while this game tried to do some more complicated things, and they didn't all hit perfectly (at least for me). I'm happy to give them kudos for trying something different though.

If they do more TLOU, might be better to do more of a side story vs a TLOU3 direct follow-up. That's actually more what I wanted with TLOU2 to be honest. They've done a pretty good job of setting up the in-game universe, and it could be interesting to jump around to different parts of the world (and maybe jumps in time). I'm kinda done with the original crew and the new characters introduced in this game.

Not a surprise, but Naughty Dog did a fantastic job with the visuals in the game. I can see some areas where we could really use some next-gen hardware, but that doesn't mean the game won't make you say wow repeatedly. Can't really speak to gameplay, but...it looks like TLOU haha.

19. noize

noize Contributing Member

Wow. Druckmann wasn't kidding when he said the game will be divisive. Even going as far as to say some people will hate the games narrative. Meta will have a field day cleaning the 35% user review score.

#39 noize, Jun 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  20. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Some of those seem to be "alt-right trolls" that probably didn't like the progressive ideas expressed in the game (see Captain Marvel user reviews in comparison). I know there's been a weird target on this game ever since the big leak. I don't think that's the "divisive" part that Druckmann was talking about though.

Some of the reviews are definitely mentioning the thing he meant, so yeah, some people really didn't like it.