1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PS4 or Xbox One?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by houstontexans, Aug 5, 2017.

?

PS4 or Xbox One?

1. PS4

52.6%
  2. Xbox One

47.4%
  1. houstontexans

houstontexans Member

which one should I buy? Or should I wait for next generation to come out?

2. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Whichever one your friends have.

Neither one has a clear advantage over the other.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Pretty much.

And if you don't have friends, just get whichever one is on a good sale.

4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

5. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Depends on a lot of factors.

Do you plan to use it as your multimedia device? Because XB1 is clearly ahead in that space.

Do you own a capable gaming PC already? Then you'd probably want a PS4, since most of XB1's exclusives can be played on PC.

Are you a pixel-counter? The Xbox One X, being released on November 7th, will be the most powerful console around.

On the other hand, do you want a system RIGHT NOW? The PS4 Pro, already released, is the most powerful console around right now.

Want to play stuff from the previous generation? XB1 has some backwards compatibility with 360 games right now, and have committed to adding more (even some OG Xbox games). This compared to no PS3 games on PS4, except a crappy streaming service no one wants.

Want to go where the biggest install-base is? PS4 has sold significantly more units.

Then of course there's the all-important "what do my friends have" question.

I have both, but if I had to choose it'd be an easy decision for me, because I have a powerful gaming PC and none of my friends have XB1's. Your situation might be different.

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Whatever your friends have, I've always been an xbox over PS3 guy and luckily my friends have as well.

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I would wait for the Xbox One X if you have the capability of playing in 4K. Its going to be pretty awesome but an Xbox One S can be had right now for pretty cheap. So its up to you but its definitely Xbox for me.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I have both, (also had 360/ps3 and xbox/ps2). So no bias toward either system, always got both because I enjoyed playing all the exclusives.

If I had to pick one, I'd go with the Xbox one, to me the online community seems more active and connected, the home interface layout IMO is much better (easier to use, way more vibrant design), it's always had a much larger variety of apps (which also have better layouts compared to PS4's, IMO).

I can't tell the difference between the gameplay/graphics on either system, and have a fair share of glitches and break downs with both consoles.

Like others have said, if you have a group of friends on one system (if you are into multiplayer/online games) then that's likely the best system to go with, if you have had a preference or biased towards one of the brands growing up, then that's likely the best one for you.

Another thing I'd do is check out the exclusives on both consoles because that can have a big impact on which console would be better for you. Example Forza (a racing game) is an amazing exclusive on the XB1 that you can't get on PS4, if you are a racing fanatic then that's something you have to consider. On PS4, they have MLB the show, an amazing baseball game, if you're a huge baseball fan then that could be a huge factor.

If you have no preference on the exclusives, no particular group on friends you need to play with, no brand loyalty, then I'd go with the Xbox hands down. The Xbox one X will be pretty sweet.

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Order of preferences:

1. Friends.
    2. Exclusives.
    3. Controller.
    4. Console aesthetics.

And throw in VR somewhere on that list if that is something you are interested in (which only the PS4 has at the moment).

Xbox also offers a singular key for both the Xbox and PC version of some games, which is a cool feature for them.

Also the Xbox One S upscales (not true native 4K) games to 4K (and provides true 4K home interface / video content). Regular PS4 doesn't do that.

Kinect is dead btw if that is something you are interested in.

10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Kinect is not dead......it is supported. Just sold separately now.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

12. VanityHalfBlack

A PC? Both suck.

Bandwagoner likes this.
  13. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

It's as dead as the Vita is. In fact, even moreso from a gaming perspective, since the Vita at least still has something of a following in Japan. Kinect only exists these days as a voice interface for multimedia functions.

The only thing that would bring Kinect back into relevance is VR on the XB1. Which seems entirely possible when XBX comes out.

14. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

While I'm typically a PC gamer, I do enjoy console exclusives on PS4 and Switch. But since all of the "exclusives" on XBOX are also on PC, it's the one console that I would never consider buying.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  15. Anticope

Anticope Member

PC and a Switch in an ideal world. Having said that, like others have said it mainly comes down to what your friends play and which console has more exclusives that you prefer. I have an Xbox One because that's what 95% of my friends play but if I had to choose between the two consoles solely based on exclusives I'd go with a PS4.

16. PhiSlammaJamma

And if you like baseball, it's PS4. Xbox sucks at mlb :confused:

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I never played any of the PS4 games , even though I've always been PS. For that reason I got the Xbox one when it came out so that I could play halo and some of the other FPS as I rarely play.

18. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

Not to derail, but is it worth it to upgrade from the original One to the S? Debating about trading mine into Amazon for the upgrade. I don't do much gaming and it's mostly for a media setup.

19. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I have both systems.

Like most have said, it depends on what you're interested in. For example, I don't play online games, so the "what do your friends have" argument is moot for me. The ONLY thing that matters (to me, obviously) is the games I actually want to play, and what I want to play is a story-driven, single-player game. And in that regard, PS exclusives blow XB exclusives out of the water.

That said, Sony pissed me off when they gimped the mods for Skyrim SE, so I bought an XB1S just so I could play Skyrim SE with non-gimped mods. Totally worth it.

Also, for whatever reason my PS4 won't see the media on my external HD, whereas my XB1S does so without a hitch. The PS4 works fine with re: to in-home streaming, but it's easier for me to just plug in the HD and not think about it, so the Xbox gets more use when I'm re-watching The Shield for the umpteenth time.

Honestly, the XB has a lot of advantages, but exclusives matter to me, and XB just can't touch the PS. For that reason, I'll always be a PS-first guy. At least until the next Elder Scrolls comes out -- and maybe I'll have a gaming PC by then, in which case I'll have zero reason to own an XB.

The XB1S is more powerful, but only by a little. I've never owned an XB before my XB1S, but I have played on my friends XB -- can't say I've ever been conscious of their system being any slower than mine. I wouldn't think it would be worth it....unless you're just rich or something or find a REALLY good deal. But I'm also totally speculating....so take all that with a grain of salt.

Rizzy likes this.
  20. Juxtaposed Jolt

Agreed with 1-4. Although I would suggest that 1 and 2 can be switched, depending on if your friends play online multiplayer games.

For me, it doesn't matter what my friends had, as I prefer the Uncharteds / Tomb Raiders / Last of Us / Witcher 3 type games over online FPS or MMOs. Imo, it comes down to exclusives - I chose the PS4 over the X1 purely because of that.

RedRedemption likes this.