1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ProtoType PF

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Dec 28, 1999.

Tags:
  1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What Size/Shape are you looking for in a Power Forward?

Karl Malone F 6-9 256

Most Analysis think he is the Prototype PF.

Not Tall enough to be a Center and Not Skinny
    very Muscular and Sqautty
    [Think Chocolate Thunder ;-) ]

Kenny Thomas F 6-8 260
    Carlos Rogers F 6-11 220
    Tony Massenburg F 6-9 250

Kenny and Tony seem to have the body Types
    Carlos too thin IMO. I like a BIG SF.
    [If 'los could be a Poor Man's KG I'd love it]

Rocket River

2. popeye

popeye Member

If you are talking prototype PF it arguably could be said that Zo fits that mold very well. I know he plays the 5, but really he is the quintessesntial four for the last three years.

With apologies to my friend jenna .... If I had my choice I would call Zo's number over Karl's right now and probably include anytime in the last three-four years of Karl's career. (Before that Karl has a big edge in play.)Karl has stayed very effective, but frankly he has been "limited-dimensional" of late. If he wasn't so damn dependable at that one (or two) dimension game the Jazz would never have gotten close to the success they have had.

However,Alonzo Morning: 6'10" 261 Lbs 23Pts/G 10.1 rebs 4 steals:

.... the most intense 4-5 player in the game for the last three years, athletic, hops and bumps, as good an outside shot as Karl, better underneath than Karl (for the last three years or so,anyway) more dependable by far on defense, equal (but with little less finesse than Karl) on steals, but he can shift his game focus at will ... that is, adjusting to what the other centers/forwards give him throughout the game. Karl has lost considerably in this area over the last four seasons and notably in the last three.

If Pat Riley had a center of merely average capabilities and put Zo at the four consistently he would be sewng up the Easytern Conference yearly and probably fitting the team for rings for a couple of years running.

[​IMG]

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Sailor boy,

Awww, you went and done it now... you dissed Malone (indirectly) and Utah venom will be spewing at you any second.

By the way, Zo is a much better shot blocker/intimidator on defense.

------------------
    Rocket fuel pumps through these veins...

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I never considered Zo . . .since he playing Center. But I can see your point.

I see the PFs in the League that are dominating as

KG - kinda Skinny IMO more a BIG SF
    Malone
    Webber
    Duncan - More Centerish to me.
    Juwan - he could dominate but. . . . .
    McDyess -

I view Powerforwards as the guts and glory of the team.. . . . nothing worse than a SOFT PF
    [See Charles Smith]

Rocket River