1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pro's at Fonde

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RedRowdy111, Jul 2, 2008.

1. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Are the NBA guys still playing in a summer league at the Fonde Center? I know the past few years, I have seen guys like Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley, Rashard Lewis, Sam Cassell, Moochie Norris, Damon Stoudamire, James Posey, Mike James, plus others there. Any one got any info, I'd like to go down there again this summer.

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

3. JamesC

JamesC Member

Josh Smith was there last year, he hit his head on the rim catching an alley. :eek: I've seen Ron Artest a few times up there too.

4. HombreDeHierro

hmmm i think ill hit that up this year.

5. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

To anyone that has been to this in the past. I was thinking of taking my nephews and was wondering if any of the pro's sign autographs for the kids before or after the games?

6. RedRowdy111

Yes they sign autos either before or after. They usually show up kinda late, so after usually works better. I parked next to Damon Stoudamires BA porsche last time, sweet! Most of the guys bring their wife and kids. Its free!
    I sat next to Mike James, Moochie Norris, TJ Ford, and even ex-rocket Jim Jackson. Its a good time, but I suggest going a little later in their season. More players seem to be there.

7. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

Didn't Jimmy Jackson retire after we traded him?

8. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

he bounced around for a few teams and played a few games for a few years then retired.

9. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Have any of you guys/gal ever played with a pro? How'd you do?

I used to fantasize that I wasn't 5'8" and white and could play basketball just like ringin a bell. I started again recently, it's pretty fun. Fantasizing about being awesome at basketball, not actually playing. Just tennis for me thank you.

Although I hope to play a pickup game sometime in the future with any number of you. We could even fantasize about being good at basketball together. I'll pretend you're not 50 lbs overweight, you'll pretend I'm not 5'8" and trying to post. We could play on an 8' goal with a WNBA ball.

10. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

im not sure what just happened here but I think you should see a psychiatrist.

11. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

I played a pick up game at UTSA with Devon Brown when he was a freshman. Of course he wasn't in the league back then, but hey he made it eventually.

12. HAYJON02

Will seeing an analyst make me funnier?

But since you say you don't know what's going on, I just invented a whole new thing called self deprecating humor. It's mine. I invented it just now.

13. HAYJON02

One time in high school I bumped into Ronnie Price. He was shorter than me then so I didn't apologize.

Other than that I don't think I've even seen an NBA player outside of the context of an NBA game. Probably for the best with my skill set.

I spent most of my chubby youth posting up but never had that last growth spurt. It makes cheering for all our undersized forwards much easier.

Back to the actual topic: Can you just walk into Fonde and watch pros play for free? Is it any fun? It's not like we can go watch the Rocket's summer league. Luckily this board is awesome and we have people to go and do that for us.

14. RedRowdy111

I have played basketball with Kenny Smith back in 1993 when I was in his basketball camp (I was 13) and with Sam Cassell in 1994 (14). My parents signed me up for both of their summer basketball camps. It was pretty cool. I got to play and get tips from Robert Reid, John Lucas, Chris Morris (old NJ player), Vernon Maxwell, and Larry Smith.

I did a shoot around with Jeff McInnis at the Fonde Center.

15. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

I've never been but have to say, it's about time I check this out. I read that it starts July 7, but posters have recommended going later in the season.

1) How long does the season last?
    2) On what nights do they play?
    3) How is seating? Is it crowded, plentiful, sparse..?
    4) Have any of you been down there, at a different time maybe, simply to play? When should I go if I wanted to play?

16. RedRowdy111

1. Season last about two months.
    2. I think they play two nights during the week (weekdays)
    3. Seating is open, put it this way, its the size of a high school gym, and you can sit and go anywhere you want. If you want to sit behind the bench you can, if you want to sit next to Francis, you can, totally no rules on seating. Its usually not that packed, but the last championship game of the tournament gets pretty packed. The earlier you go in the season the less people I would say.
    4. Well if you show up early you can probably shoot around and run a little pick-up game. They have start times for their games, so when its on, you have to get off the court, and let the big boys play.

(Put it this way, we went one day, I got a pic of my fiance with Moochie, b/c she loved the fro, and the next week, we had him sign the pic we took the week before. Totally cool, relaxed down there.)

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I played on a court with Matt Bullard back in the day.

My conclusion is that it is actually harder playing against a Matt Bullard type than it would have been Kenny Smith or, heck, even a Jason Kidd back in the day.

Don't get me wrong, you'd get burned by either, but being 6'1, and Bull being 6'10, even if I was quicker than him (and I still wasn't), his height is just too much to overcome...

Now Kenny, Kidd or comparable PG's of today would definitely be breaking your ankles a lot and considerably better shooters than me, but you can at least entice them to shoot jumpers by backing off, and get a shot off against them. Against Bull, for example, straight up man to man defense, it was even tough getting a shot up off him, because he was still quick enough to guard you on the permiter and tall enough to block that shot, while being able to recover if he overplayed you and block any other shot if you drove it in.

Don't know if that makes sense or not...

18. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-YJbqiEBLFs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-YJbqiEBLFs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

19. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Wow, thats a lot of pros. Maybe I should check it out.

20. ghost

ghost Member

1) It goes through the first week of August, if I am not mistaken
    2) Monday's and Wednesdays. Check the link earlier in this thread.
    3) Seating is first come, first serve. Get there early if you want to be able to choose your seat. I always do that and get one at mid court high up so I can see more. Some seats/views are obstructed by the other baskets.
    4) Never been to play. Had I known more about it while ballin' in high school, I would have been down there every day during the summer.

Last year Deron Williams and Jason Terry also played. You see a lot of soon to be college guys and ex-pros in the stands as well. DeAndre Jordan was up there last year, at least watching one game. Moses Malone is there a lot.

I have been the last 3 years if not 4. If you are a basketball junkie, you have to go. Usually very entertaining games. Oh yeah, Big Baby was there last year too, as well as a lot of local players.

If you are members at the MET, a lot of Pros also play pick up games there. In fact, DeAndre Jordan was in there last night working out and he was the weakest person in there. I know you don't have to be shredded to play in the NBA, but for a post player, you do need some strength. Kenny Taylor was playing in the league game on Monday. I see a lot of fools in there. Eventually, I am gonna get into that league. Very, very competitive and they play by NBA rules.