1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Property tax question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So on HCAD my address has two different account numbers, both under my name. One is for the lot value (it was a new build; we moved in May) and the other has no dollar amount and just says Pending.

When I go to the tax assessor-collector site to see how much I owe (I don't have an escrow), neither account number pulls up any results. "No data found!"

I called HCAD a couple weeks ago and they said that the property was still being evaluated, but the person on the phone sounded like they were just guessing as to what was happening. They said I don't need to pay the property tax until HCAD does its part. This makes me uneasy because obviously the tax payment is supposed to be made before the end of the year.

So, what should I do? Call HCAD again? I think they sent me a letter telling me the value of my property (and I think it was the same value that is on one of the accounts on HCAD's site) but I misplaced it.

2. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I would call again, hoping for a different person just to be safe.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Sometimes they wait a long time to send you anything. But it sounds like this is on THEM, so just relax and pray they forgot you exist. That's what I'd do.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Get it in writing, always.

5. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Not sure why they would have two account numbers if you only own one property? Assuming this is residential. I would just pay the bill you received and not worry about any "pending" account.

6. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Can you pull up any results at the tax assessor collector site under your name or physical address (rather than the account numbers)? A lot of times, when new developments are plotted, the lots are only assigned a legal description, and it's not until a house is built that are they assigned an actual street address. I think this "transitional" period could account for the double account numbers.

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

It sounds like they haven't caught up on updating their records with your physical address, so they've given you a transitional tag. Until they are able to generate a Tax ID for your property (usually that number starts with an R), it will probably just come up as "pending" or "no data found." I would keep tabs on it, but I wouldn't worry too much. They will send you a tax statement once everything has been input. I'm dealing with a similar situation on a property I'm looking to acquire.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I think you can search by address on the HCAD site. I haven't used it much after the redesign.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'd call them a couple of times -- because maybe the next person knows more, and because you can demonstrate you made a good-faith effort to resolve. Then just wait for your interest-free loan to expire when they finally send you a bill. If they charge a late fee, ask that it be waived because you called in and they didn't have their ish together.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So here's where we stand today. Both accounts for my address now have a value - one is $X and one is $X + $50K.

I'm still a bit confused by what exactly is going on. Hopefully someone can help me out. I believe @TMac'n has a similar tax situation so maybe he can help me out if no one else knows what the deal is.

One account is my "main account" and one is my "pure account." WTF is a "pure account" you ask? Buried in a readme file I found on the HCAD site, "A pure account is a new account built for a special taxable value in an individual jurisdiction."

The jurisdiction in this case is a Water Control Improvement District (WCID).

Main Account:
    Account #: 12345
    Appraisal value: 100,000

Pure Account:
    Account #: 67890
    Appraisal value: 150,000

Here are the tax rates:

Jurisdictions------------------------------2018 Rate
    CYPRESS-FAIRBANKS ISD--------1.44
    HARRIS COUNTY----------------------0.41858
    HARRIS CO FLOOD CNTRL -------0.02877
    PORT OF HOUSTON AUTHY-------0.01155
    HARRIS CO HOSP DIST--------------0.17108
    HARRIS CO EDUC DEPT-------------0.00519
    LONE STAR COLLEGE SYS---------0.1078
    HC MUD------------------------------------1
    HC WCID-----------------------------------0.4475
    HC EMERG SRV DIST-----------------0.05271

So I'm trying to figure out how much I'm going to have to pay. I don't know how they will calculate it. Since the valuations were just reached and are not yet certified there is no record on the Harris County Tax Assessor Collector site.

I want to know how much I'm going to pay because:
    1) I want to know
    2) When we closed on the house, the seller/builder paid me what they thought would be the prorated amount of property taxes owed. So if they assumed the property value was going to be 80,000 and it ended up being 100,000, I need to get some more money from them. And the builder (Chesmar) is non-responsive on most things, so I imagine getting a check from them will be difficult. As such I want to start that process ASAP.

If I had to guess, it would be that I will pay the 0.4475% on the $150K value but pay all others on the $100K value. Using those dollar amounts the tax bill would be $3,906.93... but that seems pretty low. So, I am probably not doing that right.

11. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

I'll PM you later this evening. Would rather give you as much info without going just off the top of my head while I'm at work

12. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

@Haymitch

You have a new build, so this might be the issue. I have a friend who got a new build in Sienna Plantation that they bought in the middle of the year. Their first year, they paid taxes without any problems through escrow. But then they under paid by nearly $10k their 2nd year because their bank under funded their monthly escrow payments because the payments were still valued based upon the initial years valuation of the property (which was valued based upon the lot before the home was built). HCAD (or Fort Bend in my friends case) performs appraisals prior to May (my friend bought in July / August), so at the time only the land was appraised the first year and not the house because it was still considered "Construction In Progress" when it was valued.

I know that this is not the same as the situation you're in, but its possible that this is all because your in a new build

I'm also going to PM you some other details that I don't want to make public here

13. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I didn't want to start a new thread and need some advice, I got my HC Appraisal for my new taxes and my head about exploded. I live in the Champions area and bought my house 16 months ago, I haven't made any major improvements (a few DIY projects that required no permit) but my dam taxes went up by almost 26k.......they also put the value of my home up $44k over what I bought it for. There is a protest letter that I will fill out but whats the best avenue to fight this, I thought about getting the median cost per foot in my subdivision (its very small but has quite a few sales over the past year) and showing them that but I have no clue how to go the best route.......do you hire someone or go it alone? I am going to ask my neighbors but to be honest I barely know them and that may be a bit personal

Xerobull likes this.
  14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You need to price your house accordingly and be able to back it up with facts. It may behoove you to get an appraiser in, that $600ish will be worth the money if you can prove that your house isn't worth what your neighbor's is. If your house is out of date, that's a huge bonus because you can show pictures of your home to the HCAD review board and say, hey, these houses that sold at X amount had all new floors, countertops, paint, etc, my house is a POS by comparison. This is good ammo to have for future years too.

HCAD has an online protest so you can start ASAP.

But be aware that home values are through the roof, and even if you can whittle away at what they're charging you, it's probably not going to be satisfactory. The supply just isn't there and garbage homes have doubled in value in the last two-four years. You can blame Californians and Millennials if it makes you feel better (you really should be blaming other people but that's a D&D discussion).

ROCKSS likes this.
  15. ROCKSS

Thanks......an appraiser might be the way to go!!

Xerobull likes this.
  16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Just be aware that they're going to use recent comparables and, because of the nature of the market right now, those are also going to be grossly inflated.

ROCKSS, cmoak1982 and Xerobull like this.
  17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

It’s insane lol

ROCKSS likes this.
  18. ROCKSS

I want to say , dam if I could sell if for what you have appraised the value of the home I dam sure would but its not even in the right ballpark

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

That's why you get granular and educated. Know your market, know why those houses sold for x amount. Come with pictures, appraisal, etc.

The key to winning with government is understanding bureaucracy. If you understand their rules, and play by them, you will get a much better outcome. That's why we have lawyers and why they get paid well. They're professional bureaucrats.

It also doesn't hurt to be polite when you deal with actual people. 98% of people who are protesting are really just b****ing. A little bit of honey can get you a long way at the CAD or DMV when all they deal with is assholes, all day, every day.

ROCKSS likes this.
  20. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

You can check your neighbors tax rates and property values by going to their website. https://www.hctax.net/Property/PropertyTax

ROCKSS likes this.