1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Promising Teams of the Near Future

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RedNation97, May 20, 2015.

1. RedNation97

RedNation97 Member

Yesterday's Draft Lottery got me thinking about the future of the NBA over the next few years, as the franchises drawing the initial 3 picks are at last finalizing a polished roster.

Obviously, the Minnesota Timberwolves now have reason to be optimistic after discovering they had secured two 1st Overall picks in consecutive years, in Andrew Wiggins (via CLE) and probably Karl-Anthony Towns.
    Provided current players return, the T-Wolves lineup will now look something like this:

PG Ricky Rubio
    SG Kevin Martin
    SF Andrew Wiggins
    PF Karl-Anthony Towns
    C Nikola Pekovic

This competent group are complemented by the depth in their bench in Thaddeus Young, Zach LaVine, Kevin Garnett and Chase Budinger.
    A good time to be a Timberwolves fan, I'm calling a second-round playoff run in the next 2-3 years.

Then, there's the LA Lakers, likely to draft Duke's Jahlil Okafor after struggling for the most part of the 2014-15 regular season. A relatively evenly-spread team, they had seven guys on the roster averaging 11+ppg this year. Behind names like Nick Young, Jeremy Lin, Jordan Hill and Carlos Boozer, although they sometimes proved to be immature, this young team shows a lot of raw talent.
    In addition to the anticipated return of Kobe Bryant, I get the sense that we're forgetting the return of 7th Overall pick, Julius Randle, who apparently aims to be back in time to participate in the Summer League this year.
    Although Kobe doesn't have much time left, he certainly has enough to make an impact on this current Laker roster. There may not be much immediate success in sight for LA, but they're sure to have a much more improved season than last.

Finally, the Philadelphia 76ers are another one to keep an eye on. Although there are many reports of attitude problems with newly drafted Center Joel Embiid, from not partaking in injury rehab to putting on unwanted weight, the Sixers obtained yet another top-three pick, with thanks to a successful bout of tanking. After acquiring Embiid last year and seeing Nerlens Noel break out, the Sixers are likely to take Ohio State PG/SG D'Angelo Russell in the 2015 Draft to complete an elite trio of young prodigies.
    Backing the aforementioned draftees up, low-status role players such as Ish Smith, Robert Covington and Isaiah Canaan all proved their worth last year (and coincidentally all sourced from Houston too, if I'm not mistaken).
    Once this raw rotation gains some crucial NBA-experience, perhaps adding some more seasoned vets to the roster, the 76ers will be on their way back up - at last pulling themselves off of rock bottom and maybe even giving their fans a franchise to be proud of.

[​IMG]

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

How? Unless they land a big fish in free agency, or unless Randle/Okafor whoever is one of those rare instant-impact rookies who leads to immediate team-changing success (highly, highly unlikely) - they're still a 20-30 win team.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Exactly. All of the teams mentioned are as likely the next Sacramento Kings or Clippers or Cavs before they added that key free agent piece to their core (eg. Clips getting CP3, Cavs getting Lebron back). They all had great lotto picks.

You have to hit HOME RUN lotto picks MULTIPLE YEARS in a row, ESPECIALLY IN THE WEST, to do that great. The Pelicans did it one year with Davis, and have filled average to above average role players around him... and they barely make the playoffs three years in because of the Thunder injuries.

That said, you'd rather be at the top of the lotto than the bottom... AND, LA is LA... they could perhaps get a key signing. If Love leaves for LA perhaps, and maybe they draft Russel, and he turns out to be a future clear top 5 PG in 3 years... well at least its a solid path.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

OP, not sure if you've seen Towns play but he's a 100% C. He could end up being the best low post C the NBA has seen in a long time if he has the drive and will.

Lakers do not have a lot of raw talent. They have a bunch of proven trash on their roster besides Randle.

Though many hate his method of unabashed tanking, Sam Hinkie seems to get universal love for building the Sixers roster for the future. Quite frankly, I just don't see it but will keep an open mind.

The T-Wolves have a very promising future. The Lakers might if they sign two max-salary free agents. They'll be worth a look in 2016.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

TWolves will be in good shape with Wiggins, the #1, Rubio, LaVine

Orlando looks like they have a bright future with Oladipo, Vucevic, Payton, Harris, Fournier, Gordan + this years lotto pick. Big group of really talented young guys.

Wizards with Wall, Beal and Porter would seem to have a bright future with them being 24 and 21, but the rest of the roster is really old.

Jazz look nice with , Hayward, Favors, Gobert, Burks

Then the Pelicans of course with Davis, Holiday, Evens etc

76'ers are too unproven so say they are promising but they have potential.

So

Wizards, Jazz, Pelicans, Magic should all be on the come up over the next 5 years.

6. SK34

SK34 Member

Apparently, Towns camp does not want to go to Minnesota. Might deny a sit in with them. Towns wants LAKERS.

7. SK34

SK34 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">If Karl-Anthony Towns is determined to get to Lakers, it'll be interesting to see how agreeable his camp will be to meeting with Minnesota.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/600832730440605696">May 20, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Rubio didn't want to go to Minny either yet here we are

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Wow lol poor Minny. Maybe a trade with the Lakers could work? The #1 for the #2, #27 and a future pick could work.

I can still see them taking him though and trying to convince him to stay though if they believe he is a superior talent to Okafor.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So no Thad Young

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I hate it when players do this but I really can't blame Towns. With all due respect to Minneapolis, there ain't no comparison to LA for someone who is wealthy and hates intense winters.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't see that as the problem for LA's inclusion, since OP did caveat that they aren't looking at immediate success. But, I'm betting that the season-after-next, only this year's pick and Randle will still be on the roster. When Kobe retires, there will be a house-cleaning. They should do the house-cleaning this offseason (and, imo, Kobe should be the first one shown the door).

Minnesota looks to be in a pretty good spot with #1 and Wiggins and the other pieces they have. Unfortunately, I don't have any confidence that their ownership and front office are good enough to manage it, so I won't at all be surprised if they whiff.

I do think Hinkie will do great. In addition to having #3, Embiid, and Noel, they have owed to them 2016 first rounders from the Lakers (likely lotto), Heat, and Thunder, AND cap space. Once he decides to stop tanking and compete, he's going to have a lot of quivers in the arrow. I expect he will tank for 1 more season, looking at the big expansion of the salary cap for 2016-17 as the time to make his move to woo a couple of max guys to partner with Noel/Embiid/2015 Draftee/2016 Draftee. That is also the last year of Noel's rookie contract, so if he can get some veteran for max the year before with cap space, he can start using Bird Rights on his own free agents as they come off of rookie contracts. That even looks like overdoing it and certainly they won't want to spend that much money when the time comes, but not every one of these bets are going to pan out anyway -- rookies will bust, guys will get injured, free agent targets will go elsewhere. So it helps to have more options than you need.

13. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

Even though he sucks, don't forget about Anthony Bennett. He was the 1st pick in 2013.

14. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

That only works if the future pick is very good. The #27 is a trash pick, worth less than the #31 b/c of 2nd round contract rules. If I'm Minny I demand the #2 and two future unprotected first rounders.

Who cares if Towns plays diva? Danny Ferry, even after holding out, still yielded Ron Harper, 2 first rounders, and a second.

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

Even still, you're a 18-21 year old kid who gets a chance of a lifetime to play basketball for a living. You shouldn't gripe about Minny. Plus, Minny has KG. As old and useless as KG is now, he still has tons of experience to teach a big man.

If it was me, I would love that I'd be drafted first and also, be mentored by KG.

Ironically, what if LA does the trade, and then takes Okafor on draft day? That would be ultimate lulz.

I dislike how everyone is saying Minny is so lucky to have 2 #1 picks with a third upcoming. Minny's FO was stupid enough to pick Flynn and Rubio with b2b picks, but I don't think they would have been stupid enough to pick Bennett #1 overall.

16. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Minny if players stay there and develop could be nice. Young talent alone:

Lavine
    ???
    Wiggins
    Towns (4/5 I like him as a stretch 4 myself)
    Dieng

17. SK34

SK34 Member

Minny - Towns
    Lakers - Okafor
    76ers - Mudiay

If Lakers can somehow get Russell Westbrook to go to LA w/ DeAndre Jordan. You have a contending team right away.

Lakers can try to get DeAndre Jordan and select Mudiay, if Mudiay or Clarkson can play the 2 position. Mudiay gets to learn from Kobe Bean Bryant on how to chuck up shots and be loved throughout his career.

18. SK34

SK34 Member

Towns is a Center. They HAVE to somehow find a way to dump Pekovic.

Rubio
    Lavine
    Wiggins
    Millsap / Monroe
    Towns

Monroe seems to be a reasonable fit as Millsap wouldn't want to go to a team that is up and coming.

19. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Jazz
    Wolves
    Celtics

Those are the 3 on the near term teams on the come-up

I like what Philly is doing but it'll be a few more years compared to the 3 above.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

They're going to be in the same place this time next year as last year, barring some magical moves - I don't see that as a "much improved" team on the court next season, though certianly their outlook will be brighter after another tank/high pick year.