1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Projected Starting Line up for next year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Alirules, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Alirules

Alirules Member

Charlie Ward
    Tracy McGrady
    Jim Jackson
    Kurt Thomas
    Yao Ming

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Huh???

Where did you get Ward and Thomas from? If that would be are starting lineup next year then I say keep what we have.

3. AggieRocketFan96

I'm not sure if that lineup would win more games than the last lineup. Kurt Thomas may be a decent power forward in the East, but in the west he is mediocre, I would keep MoT over him anyday. Charlie Ward couldn't even get minutes in San Antonio an is definently no upgrade over SF. JJ is a great player, but he should be considered more of a complementary role player sort of in the Mario Elie mold, not considered a final solution at the Small Forward position.

4. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

right......

5. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Dude, you're dreaming. Kurt Thomas, McGrady, and Ward. That's going to cost a lot to get them.

6. New Jack

New Jack Member

With any luck, Yao and Mcgrady will in the lineup at the 5 and 2.

At the 3, hopefully a sweet shooting small forward (Radmanovic, M.Miller, B. Barry, Giricek, Boki, etc.) acquired either by free agency, trade exception, or trading Cat or Cato.

At the 4, I'm expecting Taylor to start.

At the 1, probably some a lesser known role player that can play defense and hit a decent % of their open jumpers (Mike James, Damon Jones, Troy Hudson).

7. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I think one of those can be arranged.

8. sup123

sup123 Member

my projected lineup

Brent barry/Damon Jones
    Tmac
    Yao
    Wallace or Okur
    Boki

9. edwardc

edwardc Member

dream on that would be a much worse lineuo then the one the rockets currently have.

10. New Jack

New Jack Member

I think any lineup with Yao and Mcgrady is going to be better than the team last season. I don’t care who else is playing the other 3 positions. It may not look as pretty on paper, but I would take a lineup with 2 great players and 3 less talented players with defined roles over a team with 5 good players with undefined roles any day.

11. Sane

Sane Member

Hopefully, we'll make these deals:

- Sign McDyess
    - Francis and Cato for McGrady (forced trade ofcourse)
    - MoT for Croshere
    - TE for Jerome James and Antonio Daniels

This would give us:

Yao/James
    McDyess/Croshere/Spoon
    JJ/Croshere/Boki
    McGrady/Pike/JJ
    Daniels/Wilks/Duhon? Whoever we pick up with #55

Assuming McGrady decides he wants to come to Houston, all those deals are completely realistic. McGrady wouldn't let Houston give up too much to get him because, ultimately, he wants to play on a winner and would basically say: " Well, Francis is better than nothing, and Cato is the best C you'll have had since Shaq." Then they can draft Dwight Howard, and ship Gooden or Howard off somewhere for help at the swingman positions.

12. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

I like the lineup, but SF/Cato for TMac the salary don't match. And James absolutely sucks.

13. Sane

Sane Member

Well, I guess we can get the Magic to throw Andrew Declerq into the deal, which would bring the salaries closer. I don't mind taking Howard, but I don't know if he's a positive or negative to them.

Something can be worked out, I'm sure. As for Yao's backup, he'll only be playing 15 minutes a night. There won't be any minutes at PF for him, and hopefully Yao will be able to play 33 minutes next year at least. Jerome James' main problem is foul trouble, and I'm sure he's going to play EXTRA hard seeing as this is his contract year.

14. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

Here goes nothing...

Francis/Wilks
    Mobley/Boki/Griffin
    Jackson/Boki/Griffin/Pike
    Cato/Taylor
    Yao/Spoon

No we ain't got two Bokis but he will probably come in for either two.

15. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

So are you just cutting Mobley in this scenario? :confused:

16. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

step away from your xbox/ps2 controller. MCGRADY WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

17. Sane

Sane Member

Woops. Subconscious slip ;) .

Maybe we send Mobley in the Orlando deal in exchange for Garritty and Declerq?

Maybe we modify the Orlando deal to Francis and Mobley for T-Mac and Gooden?

Maybe we simply trade him to someone looking for a final piece and has a nice draft pick? Maybe to Toronto for thir pick and a contract? Maybe to the Bobcats for something?

All I know is, he's not very necessary. He's probably the least important player in our current starting lineup. You saw how HORRIFFIC we were without Cato, and how important he was in the Lakers series. Don't forget Yao's stamina problems and how Cato backs him up for 15 minutes at C as well. That leaves him and JJ. JJ shot better from 3-pt land (and the field I believe), grabbed more rebounds, has more experience, and JVG said JJ is the best perimeter defender on the team. I think that's enough proof that Mobley's the weakest link.

18. spacepimp

spacepimp Contributing Member

So why did mobley hold kobe the whole lakers series and not jj?

19. Sane

Sane Member

Could be anything. Maybe because Mobley matches up better with Kobe? Maybe because we needed JJ to abuse their SF's to have a chance at winning the series? Maybe Kobe has more guarding Mobley than JJ?

It was one series. JVG said with his mouth that JJ is the best perimeter defender on the team. How are you going to sit here and argue with a QUOTE from the HEAD COACH?

20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Barry-Jones
    JJ-Pike
    TMac-Nachbar
    MoT (FA)-Spoon (FA)
    Yao-DeClerq (FA)