1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Process Technicians/Operators

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by kdchilds, Sep 24, 2014.

Tags:
  1. kdchilds

kdchilds Member

Are there any operators process technicians here on the clutch fans board?

2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Not an operator myself, by I'm in the industry. There's a TON of growth in this arena which I'm sure is no secret. Baby boomers are retiring and ExxonMobil as well as Chevron both out in Baytown among others are building new units. I was just at a plant yesterday in Deer Park that had posters all over the walls inside of the security shack at the gate offering cash incentives for referrals.

There's a shortage of skilled workers in this field at the moment, but that won't last for long. Tons of kids are enrolling in P-Tech programs at community colleges and some high schools in the area are even putting together programs. Not to mention those getting chemical and petroleum engineering degrees at four year universities. Even now it'll still take a perfect mix of education, experience, and luck (who you know, timing, etc) but it's definitely not a bad career choice. As long as you're not opposed to working in potentially hazardous environments, shift work schedules, and long hours. +/- $30/hr is very common for first year operators.

There's tons of growth locally from Houston to Lake Charles, so now's the time to put a game plan in motion if you're interested.

2 people like this.
  3. htownballer91

htownballer91 Member

Currently enrolled at San Jac for this and will have a certificate by spring, heard it really doesn't have any pull so i will keep working towards my degree.

4. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Yes, for the past 10 years.

5. kdchilds

kdchilds Member

Thanks for all of the replies I have an interview with ExxonMobil in November any tips?

6. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

I start beginning of the year, it was 3 separate interviews. Just sale yourself and kill them with safety.

7. kdchilds

kdchilds Member

Ok congrats man! I sent you a PM.

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Don't assume the Ops Superintendent cares more about non-degree Processing Certificates than military or relevant industry experience or a good attitude. Do assume there are another 200-300 applications for the same slot. I think you want look up FIT and COBRA testing to see if you can do basic math and operational problem solving very quickly.

9. kdchilds

kdchilds Member

Exxonmobil does't do Cobra testing.

10. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Thanks! It's a long process, sent you a PM message.