1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pro Football Player Kills A Man

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by YourSecretLover, Mar 14, 2009.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He would have got nothing for hitting and killing a dog.

It is amazing that he only got 30 days for killing a man. Should have got at least a year.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

30 days in the slammer + 10 years probie and also settled out of court with the family for an undisclosed amount.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I hope the family got a substantial sum. Here is hoping killing a man will be reason enough for Stallworth to never drink and drive again.

5. Steve_Francis_rules

Hopefully. But it certainly wasn't reason enough for Leonard Little.

6. Asian Sensation

I'm sure settling with the family for that "undisclosed" amount of money had a lot do with the jail time or lack there of. I'm guessing multi-millions.

7. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Yet another stain on the reputation of the modern athlete...

8. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

9. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

It's nice to have $$$.

10. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

So many people drive drunk, it's ridiculous. Some people are just unlucky enough to hurt someone while doing it or get hurt by someone doing it.

If Stallworth had fled the scene or been uncooperative in any fashion, I would be enraged at such a reduced sentence. However, he was actually the one to notify the police of what he'd done (immediately), cooperated, plead guilty... so I can actually accept this is a huge mistake on his part, and he is going to pay for it (via jail, money, driving privileges).

Regardless, drunk driving is stupid, but so many people do it that it's a reality we have to deal with.

11. Precision340

Precision340 Member

tragic news.. RIP

12. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/31783643/ns/sports-nfl/

Turns out he was partying with Braylon Edwards that night. Funny how he "can't remember" how many shots he took. There is no way I would drive after 3 or 4 shots of tequila, even if it was a few hours later. That is one liquor that anyone in their right mind knows not to test on the roads. The debate of his sentence is a bit tired but I thought this was interesting nonetheless.

As a side note- Edward's $3400 bill on a night out makes me sick. It's funny how you see all these athletes in financial trouble after they retire, and this is exactly the reason why. They are f***ing stupid when it comes to money. Seriously, THIRTY-FOUR HUNDRED dollars? Idiot. I can see maybe a couple hundred to go out and have a good time, but that's it.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

that is like someone making $50k a year spending $34 on a night out.

14. DieHard Rocket

That may be true, but did they really need a $1500 bottle of champagne? I'm sure a $100 bottle would've been just fine. And I get the feeling this is probably fairly routine for Mr. Edwards. If he's smart he can retire from football and never have to work again...hell, in theory his kids might not even have to work.

Not saying Edwards necessarily does all of this, but if athletes weren't so busy buying multiple houses and cars and spending a few grand every time they go out they might have something left for when they retire. I don't know why I care, but it just irks me given the current state of the economy.

15. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Let me know where I can buy a bottle at a club in Miami for $100.

16. DieHard Rocket

You won't catch me at a Miami club, or pretty much anywhere for that matter, buying a bottle of anything. If I want a bottle of something I'll buy it myself and have some friends over. If I go out, I'll buy my drinks individually.

Didn't realize we had such high-rollers on the board...

17. Jayou

Jayou Member

Duh.....of course it's a hell of a lot more expensive when you go out to a club and get bottle service. Being a homebody saves you a lot of money, Captain Obvious.

And really, you shouldn't let it bother you that Edwards spends a ton of money at the club. Consumption is good for the economy.

18. Asian Sensation

You're not Braylon Edwards and Braylon Edwards is not you.

19. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

Yeah. Athletes seemed trustworthy at first but after Donte Stallworth proved himself an ass and Lebron yelled at his mom, I just don't trust modern athletes! I only trust Nascar Drivers.

20. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

The man is not dead, athletes today are not perpetually going broke because of excessive spending. Come on man, if you make 3 million and you go to a club with your coworkers who also make 3 million and they will laugh you out of the bar if you say "hey guys just let's just be sensible now, won't the $100 champagne be just as enjoyable as the $1000!?" Spending money is not a crime.

Anybody who has that much money at one time and then loses it all, it's not because they didn't buy cheaper liquor at the clubs. It's because they didn't care regenerate it, they didn't invest it. They think they will play or coach forever, they have to, because any jackass who runs into 3 million can figure out that if they open a restaurant, or at least a hot dog stand, they might have something to fall back on. "What!? Money can make other money!?"