1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

prime kobe v.s. prime LeBron

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by catch22, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Merla08

Merla08 Member

Kobe has been playing since 1996 and only has 1 MVP
    Lebron has been playing since 2003 and has 3 MVPs

The rings and MVPs will continue to come for Lebron as he is now just entering his prime.

You tell me who the better player is.

2. jbasket

jbasket Member

last time was in 2008-2009, but it was when he played the Rockets, and Yao/Battier/Artest shut him down to a career worst game. We played some elite defence back then.

http://www.lebronjamesuniverse.com/gamebygame/gamelog20082009.htm

game 56.

3. jbasket

jbasket Member

sorry for double post, but it is actually the only time he recorded 0 assists in a game. Just one game IIRC.

4. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Lebron. 08-10, 11-12 Lebron were clearly better than Kobe at his best. Lebron not being clutch is overblown. His clutch shot FG% is higher than Kobe's and Lebron has made a crapload of clutch shots. Of course all that disappears when you have a horrendous final(2011).
    Player FG FGA FG% 3PM 3PA 3P%
    LeBron 461 1003 0.460 93 297 0.313

vs

Kobe 606 1525 0.397 99 351 0.282

5. da_juice

da_juice Member

That was my favorite Rockets game to watch (I was too young to remember the glory days of '94). Oh, what a team that was. What could have been.

6. jbasket

jbasket Member

Yea. Whenever people say the Tmac/Yao era couldn't legitimately compete for a title, I just pull up this roster and show their elite defence and great depth, plus the big three complete with Artest. It is a big what-if scenario, but that is a while ago. '94 was better :grin:

7. thisiscaketown

It really depends on what you need from your team. I would see less contested 3-pointers with double-digit seconds on the shotclock from LeBron, though.

8. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

Thats unbelievable when you think about it

LeBron has only 1 game in his career regular season or playoffs with 0 assists

smh

9. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

that was a TNT game

Yao blocking LeBron.. after LeBron got Yao in Cleveland

Marv Albert: Von Wafer for 3.... "ANOTHER 3 FOR VON WAFER!"

10. jbasket

jbasket Member

Yea, his court vision and passing accuracy are unparalleled for anybody his size. Absolute amazing skill and quite a feat by the Rockets defence.

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

It can go the other way too
    If the Celtics took care of business in '10 in game 7, one less ring for Kobe

Kobe gets credit for having rings, not just from being a great player by himself. Of course having a ring changes perceptions.

Why should Lebron get criticized for almost NOT having a ring?

12. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

Prime Jeremy Lamb/Lin

13. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I remember how great Kobe was in his prime. Was he ever great enough to give you 30/10 a night on 50% shooting, all while being the primary defender, with the capability to switch from PG's to PF's? No, he was never that good. As soon as you can point to one season or postseason from Kobe that rivals what LeBron did last year then I will agree with you. If you can't identify one then you are correct that it's no argument, in favor of LeBron.

KOBE NEVER WAS AS GOOD AS LEBRON WAS LAST SEASON/POSTSEASON.

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

thats just not fair. if you switched the ages of lebron and kobe it would be completely different.

15. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I've seen Kobe make the same major mental mistakes that LeBron has made, which is quitting in a series (vs Suns) and playing absolutely horrible in a Finals that his team had no business losing (Pistons).

16. Saithh

Saithh New Member

Prime Kobe vs Prime LeBron

First of all, take these into consideration
    This is 1v1, meaning stats, rings, teams don't matter.

I'm pretty sure Kobe is more of a hard worker than a talent reliant guy, as where LeBron is in between.

If it was a post game, LeBron would win offensively while Kobe can try to defend him. Kobe's offensive post game isn't bad either.

They are different positions, LeBron is bigger and stronger, he relies MOSTLY on dunks and layups and takes a few jumpers (except for Game 7 2013 finals where he switched) as where Kobe is a jump shooter and can attack the rim.
    If they are the same height and weight and just as strong Kobe has the advantage. Because Lebron is a much more physical player.

If this were a 1v1, they would both win and lose although I believe Kobe would win a few (1-3) more games because in his prime he is SUCH A BEAST. 34 year old kobe plays almost like a prime all-star although his defense is sloppy at times.

Don't say Bron is better because he has higher fg% because they take different type of shots.

17. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Lebron.

Bumped this thread because of mj lol.

18. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

MJ just feels threatened LeBron could potentially surpass him.

He's really close

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

the guy that jumps from team to team is really close? not really

hakeemthagreat likes this.
  20. hakeemthagreat

He actually played with worse than the Cavs:

Smush Parker
    Kwame Brown
    Devon George
    Chris Mihm
    Lamar Odom

No HOF in NBA history played with a roster that bad in their respective primes. The sad part is I think this is when Kobe was at his best talent wise.

Kobe>>>Lebron