1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Primary fight for Harris County DA

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by JuanValdez, Feb 20, 2020.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Next in my ongoing struggle to get people to think about the primary races for other important positions, we've got the Harris County DA office, currently held by Kim Ogg. When she was elected in 2016, she was progressive. Now she has 2 challengers to the left of her that say she welched on her campaign promises regarding bail reform and de-emphasizing mar1juana prosecutions. Here is a pretty good article on the race by Texas Monthly: https://www.texasmonthly.com/politics/harris-county-da-kim-ogg-primary-challengers/

So who do ya got? Has Kim Ogg disappointed as a reformer? Do we need someone more progressive for a Democratic candidate? Or, would you prefer a dude with a weird mustache?

mikol13, jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  2. JuanValdez

3. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Sorry, I live in Fort Bend so I've got no say.

I did vote on Saturday though

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Keep up the good fight.

These are the thing Bernie supporters should be focused on it's the real key to winning the revolution.

I am not singling out Bernie supporters to throw shade just pointing out these are the type of races that will get the agenda through.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@JuanValdez

You should try to get people to watch Red White and Blue on PBS" Fridays at 7:30PM. Its a political talk show on local issues.

This past Friday they didn't talk about the DA race but bail reform. I didn't want to start a thread on it. They had a prosecutor and a legal aid attorney as guests. The show is hosted by a left and right representative.

Long story short the apparent major issue is people not deserving to being released. Low level repeat offenders. The issue however seemed fixable without changing the law. Seems the judges need to pay better attention.

jiggyfly, body slam and JuanValdez like this.
  6. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

It would be cool if Soros would keep his nose out of Harris County. $1.4 mil in ads for her last time around? With the money Soros throws around you think he'd be able to feed every hungry person in the world. That would be noble, IMO.

7. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

HC Commissioners Court rejects Ogg's request for more felony prosecutors to handle the case load. https://www.chron.com/news/houston-...court-rejects-Ogg-pitch-for-more-13610496.php

"Ogg, who did not attend the court meeting, issued a statement after the vote.

“We will continue to fight every day to ensure that justice is done in every case for every crime victim, every defendant and the community,” she said. “Harris County must have a district attorney’s office with sufficient resources to ensure that all cases are resolved fairly and in a timely manner.”

Audia Jones, the former prosecutor who on Monday filed paperwork to challenge Ogg, spoke against the proposal. Jones said she left the district attorney’s office in December in part because she said Ogg’s administration has been too reluctant to offer jail diversion to defendants of color, in contrast with their white counterparts."

Now, I'm usually pretty critical when the race card gets played as a crutch. Am I wrong to take Jones' position as discriminatory? Jail diversion is usually offered to first time offenders who can prove they are employed. If that is statistically unbalanced then so be it. Justice should be equal and blind to color. It sounds to me like Jones is pandering for votes and will probably find out the hard truth that Ogg found out after she was elected. And that is, the ideas sound great on the campaign trail but when your in charge you are faced with a different reality. I can't believe Hidalgo and the other 2 commissioners, especially Garcia denied Ogg's request. Garcia was a hard ass.

JuanValdez likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

I support Ogg.

A lot of people that are in jail should stay in jail.

9. JuanValdez

I think more justice is also a pretty noble goal.

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Do you feel that way about The Koch Bros or Adelson?

mdrowe00 likes this.
  11. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Yeah, but not quite the same as Soros. He's got an 'evil vibe' about him, IMO. I haven't seen much about the Koch's getting involved at such a local level. I'm sure they are following suit by now since Soros has been at it for a few years. Trying to change it from the ground up. The Koch's are American, so I feel they have some of America's interests in mind......of course as long as it makes them a buck. Soros' motives seem a bit more sketchy to me.

I mean seriously... between both of the two groups, the Koch's and the Soros camp, they could probably feed the hungry. But I guess it's more important to them to impose their view of the world on us.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This post really tells me a lot about you.

justtxyank likes this.
  13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Wow. lol Funny that you followed up a "race card' post with this beauty. Jews will not replace you, for sure.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

I don’t have a clue what this post means. Frankly, I don’t care. What does being Jewish have to do with anything? Never mind. You’re just trying to bait me. Piss off.

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The "race card" card throwers are always the most oblivious.

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Then you have no clue what's been happening the last 20 years. How do you think the gop took control of so many state houses? The Koch's started with local races and worked up to infiltrate school boards, city councils, and state houses with their chosen like minded people.

And, yeah, I can make some assumptions about what you meant with 'evil vibe' in regards to George Soros.

17. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Feel free to assume what you want. Even better, why not explain what you are assuming, or take the next step and make the accusation?

George Soros gives me an 'evil vibe'.

Have a go at it if that's your thing.

18. JuanValdez

Soros has had a target on his back ever since he embarrassed the UK conservatives for their naive monetary policy by making himself an overnight billionaire at their expense. And all of that is tied in with how the UK could never commit to be all-in or all-out on the EU and the common currency. Soros is the embodiment of the Brexiteer's persecution complex. And I wasn't aware of it before Trump, but there is plainly a kinship between the American nativist predilection and the anti-European British nativist movement. But aside from getting one over on the Brits, Soros represents Europe going their own way and not accepting the leadership of the US and UK -- an '"ungrateful" Europe that wouldn't follow Bush into Middle Eastern misadventures. He's a rich European advancing the cause of western liberalism in the Continental fashion.

RayRay10 and Ottomaton like this.
  19. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Well I support Audia Jones the African American lawyer who ha served under Ogg and quit to run against her. As a lawyer and as a social worker in my career who has dealt with the population affected, virtually all pre-trial diversion or bail on your own recognizance if for misdemeanors or non-violent crimes.

20. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

The 'no cash bail' movement has me curious. I don't know what the current standard is. I assumed that first time offenders of non-violent crimes always got out on personal recognizance. Then any offense after that you there was bail set. Is that not currently the case?

Is the new movement to have no cash bail for non-violent repeat offenders? Doesn't this remove a deterrent from doing the crime? It's not that I'm against this, I'm trying to understand the logic behind it.

Is there any effort going on to address the probation system? I don't have any answers there, but it seems like a vicious cycle. A teen or young adult gets caught for possession or whatever. Gets probation, can't or doesn't abide by the terms and then gets either longer probation or jail time. Eventually they become unafraid to go to jail and it's a norm. And of course they have a record that affects them when they 'grow up' and try to get a job. 10 years ago I would have said tough ****. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. But I've got several friend who's teenage children got caught up in the same cycle. Now they are in their late 20's, closing in on their 30's and their future is bleak.