1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Preseason stats - Eye Popping stuff.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 26, 2006.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Link to the preseason stats

This team is stacked, just look at how well they have played in the preseason. They are outscoring opponents by 11.8 ppg, which leads the league they are not just winning games, they are THUMPING teams.

Up and down the rosters we have players who can play in the league, and in most cases thrive.

We have long time starters that are going to be on the bench for LONG periods of time, Mutombo, J-Ho, etc..etc...

Look at our 3pt FG percentage as a team it is .347% which is outstanding, the ball is just FLYING around the perimeter and players are being totally unselfish in their play.

I would not be surprised if Yao and Tmac's numbers decline a bit overall in number of points per game, but that we have a lot more people averaging double digits this year.

Look at Novak, for a 2nd round pick, and a ROOKIE no less to be shooting .556% overall and .500 from the 3pt line.....that is OUTSTANDING, we knew he could shoot but with all the attention on Yao and Tmac, he is getting WIDE OPEN looks and is knocking them down.

No doubt about it, this team is stacked, and is the most versitile team the Rockets have ever assembled.....bring on the new year.

GO ROCKETS !!

DD

2. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Wait till you see Bonzi come out to play everyone else's backups when Yao and Tracy sit... ;)

3. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

something's not right with T-mac's shot. from his J to his FTs, it's been horrible.

4. DaDakota

It doesn't matter, Tmac admitted himself that he uses the preseason to work on his game and was trying things he would never do in a regular season game.

Tmac's numbers will probably decline more than anyone elses, but that means that he is setting the table for the rest of the team.

This team has talent from 1-15....NBA talent......

Sura and Bowen should be cut now...and leave the rest of the team together....so many weapons...offensively......AND defensively.

Gonna be a FUN FUN FUN year.

DD

5. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

trying new things is one thing, shooting less than 60% on the FT line is another. it's not as if he's trying a new form.

i know he won't be shooting like that in the regular season. it just puts doubt in my mind when he's comign off that back injury.

6. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

I am stoked about the upcoming season! Can't help but notice the 16 TO's that both Yao and Rafer have though.

7. DaDakota

Well, I agree his free throws are horrible this preseason, but I chalk that up to lack of concentration.

DD

8. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

I'm glad everyone's concerned with T-Mac and Yao, it'll spawn numerous "They're Back!" threads in a few weeks...

9. DaDakota

Novak is tied for the third leading rebounder this preseason at 4.8 rpg.

NICE !!

DD

10. Rockets kupo

Rockets kupo Member

This made me giggle before school

11. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

It's just his 'feel' from being off so long - His mechanics haven't channged; I think FT's are just about concentration and feel

It will come back over time; besides, he usually isn't that consistent from the line

12. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

You looked at the wrong stat and .347 is not really outstanding, my man.

Anyhow, I'm not really all that concerned about the preseason overall team averages. Some guys are still rusty and a lot of minutes went to non-rotation guys. But it seems that the team has some decent shooters on it... Rafer has improved, Head is capable of 40% on 3s, Novak is a natural, and there are also Battier and Padgett who can shoot.

13. tested911

tested911 Member

I would be ok with that reasoning but the fact that he has a full size indoor Basketball court attached to his house doesnt make it any better...

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

Yep, Suns & Mavs would dare the Rocks to match their three-balls with that %.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

0.347 is what opposing teams are shooting against the Rockets. From behind the arc, the Rockets are shooting a less than impressive 0.373. I expect Snyder and McGrady to shoot better and Alston to shoot worse. I also expect a less percentage of 3pt shots from Novak as I expect teams will be more geared towards keeping a body on him.

As a team the Rockets would be in the top 10 in most per possession offensive stats from last year. As a team, they would be the top defensive team on a possession basis. I expect a lot of this is lack of scouting for the offensive stats and the Rockets being very prepared on defense. I do hope the Rockets can stay around the top ten in offensive stats per possession as I know they'll be in the top three defensively.

Novak leads the NBA in made threes. I don't expect Novak to get as many open looks as he has this preseason in the regular season. I also expect more teams to try to do what Walker was trying to do last night..attack Novak on the defensive end. Novak held his ground last night against Walker.

16. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

I think people need to look at Rafer. This guy has caught so much heat from this board (I don't know why) but you can tell he put some work in the offseason. He's looked the most improved from last years roster. He's currently leading the team in 3 pt. % .

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

here here!

go rox!

don't worry about personal stats when the team is winning. lets surprise the league this year and steal a championship.

18. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Toronto and the finals, here we come!

19. Danbury

Danbury Member

I got to watch the Rockets for the first time this season last night. Novak was very impressive as was Snyder. Those two look very promising, and Novak's stroke is incredible, he puts the ball up and you know its going in! Casey Jacobsen looked like he was trying too hard, I think he'll get cut.

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Yeah, we're shooting 37% back there and TMac hasn't even woke up and is actually the biggest culprit holding us under 40%. So........we can shoot it.

I have wondered if McGrady isn't even missing FTs on purpose to have an opportunity to work on rebounding the ball or if he is working a game situation where he has to intentionally miss and get the ball to bounce out long for the 2 point shot and a 3 or 4 point play to tie. There is no way he is this bad from the FT line. And in his floor shooting, it is easy to see that he is not expending any energy and getting lift. That's why his shot is flatter and missing. He is not even jumping out there most of the time, no lift. That will all change come regular season I am quite sure.

BTW, you can subtract Lucas' and Jacobsen's numbers for the most part. They aren't going to see those shots come regular season. The only liability we have from the perimeter is Spanoulis at this point with Snyder's jumper being slightly questionable. Everyone else is money out there.

#20 jopatmc, Oct 26, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2006