1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Preseason Melo == Olympic Melo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockbox, Oct 5, 2018.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Since there isn't the obligatory dedicated Melo thread on the first page, I decided to create one.

The last two preseason games as shown that Melo is trying his best to be Olympic Melo with our squad. He's patient, never forces the offense, and is an amazing catch and shoot player. What I love is that he will never be shy or hesitate shooting the ball.

He's also hustling on defense and blocking out. I think we are going to be just fine. Now, if we get Butler, I don't see how defenses are going to choose who to rotate off of. We will have 4 guys on the floor than can shoot or create for each other.

#1 rockbox, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

He gives us more than Ryan, at a lower price. I like the quick, no hesitation catch and shoot. Good.

3. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

he's the steal of the century...i'd gladly swap ariza for him in a heartbeat.

4. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I think MDA is spot on when he says Melo will see some time at the 5. Melo at the 5 with Tucker at the 4 and either Ennis or MCW at the 3 is a pretty good complement on offense and defense. Then you have 2 of either Harden, Gordon or Paul at the 1 & 2 and that is an excellent small ball lineup. Tucker is a key ingredient of any small ball lineup though with his versatility on defense and ability to rebound with muscle in the paint. Ennis and Melo are solid rebounders too but Tucker will bring that T H I C C that is needed for any small ball lineup.

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Melo had a piece of humble pie in OKC. I think if we got him last year, it would have been a disaster. Now he's a couple million dollar rental to Houston. Houston won't bat an eye to bench or waive him if needed. His ego is in check and he's working with guys he respects.

6. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

Yes, the key is he came here willingly and on time before the training camp. He's an emotional player who cares about his image first so him coming to Houston willingly is vital to his and Rocket's success, and I think that shows in preseason as OP pointed out.

roslolian, DonKnock and kevcai like this.
  7. Ray Parker

Ray Parker Member

Carmelo is definitely an upgrade over Ariza, Ryan and Luc.

8. MeloMan15

MeloMan15 Member

So not washed?

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Merely deodorized.

roslolian, BigggReddd, amaru and 5 others like this.
  10. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

yes this is true. for all the good that ariza does on defense. he misses way too many open threes. nothing but respect for the man, but we got the best of him and his prime is behind him.

amaru, Hakeemtheking and Ray Parker like this.
  11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He is a HOFer and the 19th best scorer in NBA history, and he is only 34.

Of course he is better than Ryno, Trev and Luc... :D

12. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I actually think he would have been just fine if he came last year. OKC was always a terrible situation for him. A team with no elite playmakers that relies on a selfish form of iso ball was never going to result in anything besides the same Melo we have seen his entire career, but older. Melo showed years ago in the Olympics that he can play a role in a system with superstars and that is what he has this year.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I noticed that he does not hesitate to keep the ball moving. He doesn't have to dribble, pump fake, or even square up every time he touches the ball. Surprisingly rare attribute for players on this team over the past few years.

14. topfive

topfive CF OG

Dry cleaned. Good as new.

roslolian, alethios, amaru and 4 others like this.
  15. topfive

topfive CF OG

Your eyes must be deceiving you. I heard repeatedly on ClutchFans that he's a ball-hog, a black hole who NEVER passes or tries to involve his teammates at all.

Meanwhile, @Plowman and I have been going through our Amazing Crow Recipes book, trying to figure out what dishes to prepare for @Zboy's Thanksgiving dinner.

#15 topfive, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Not sure about datboi Z, but it wasn't his offense I was worried about.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  17. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

This.

For some reason, as the #1 option, Melo hasn't made his team's better. As the 3rd or 4th best player on a contending team, Melo is dynamite. The guy does not hesitate and is confident in his shot. Defenses will have to respect that, giving more room for our superstars.

Our lineup of death: Harden, CP3, Melo, Gordon and Thicc.

18. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Yes, I actually don't mind him taking long 2's if it is relatively uncontested. I like that he is being decisive with what he wants to do. Would give it right back to James when needed but then would swing it if someone else was open. As long as a) isn't afraid to shoot or b) holds on to it for too long and then forces up a contested shot he will begin to fit in well. He will have to change everything he has learned about basketball but seems to be transitioning well so far. I am sure Rockets are telling him just be decisive and in rhythm.

roslolian and hakeem94 like this.
  19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Washed with the delicates.

amaru and MeloMan15 like this.
  20. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

looks awesome on offense. defense looks atrocious as advertised.