1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Predict: Christmas Prime Time Game

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ric_flair, May 4, 2017.

?

On Dec 25,2017 Texans vs. Steelers. Who will be the starting QB?

1. Deshaun Watson

82.5%
  2. Tom Savage

15.0%
  3. Other

2.5%
  1. Nimo

Nimo Member

Ok. You're right. If Savage plays very well, agrees to sign a contract and to be traded (to Cleveland to get one of their picks back) that is a better case than mine. You win. :)

2. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

He doesn't need to a to agree to be franchised. We'd do what Washington has done to cousins but actually trade him

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

I change my answer to Jay Cutler.

justtxyank likes this.
  4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He has to play REALLY well is the thing. If he's just average or a little above, we aren't going to franchise him because he'd be thrilled to sign the franchise tender.

If he actually plays well enough to earn the franchise tender that means he's probably been the starter the whole year, which likely means we have no idea if Watson is any good. The Texans would be dumb to trade Savage, off of a good year, and run with Watson.

5. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Wouldn't be dumb at all. Sam Diego wasn't really criticized for going with Rivers over Brees. That being said, I see it very unlikely Savage is anywhere near franchise tag value a year from now.

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I remember you thought it would be a miracle for Deshaun Watson to throw for 400 yards back to back against Bama.

Watson has a history of making you look foolish with your predictions.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

Since we're playing what if, what if Savage plays very well for six games then gets injured only for Deshaun to come in and play well (but not as well as Savage) the remainder of the season?

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

This is really a what if?.... Bye, Tom - good luck. That's an easy one.

What if... Tom Savage plays well for 13-14 games, gets hurt and then Watson looks "meh" in the final 2-3 games? That, I think, is an intriguing (RIP AA) what if...

But any what if where Watson plays competently is a pretty easy one, IMO.

#28 Hey Now!, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

By all means kiddo, keep betting on a miracle, don't let anyone that is being more realistic about things get in your way. You can Skip Bayless the hell out of this if you keep chanting "all he does is win"

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

1) Rivers was a MUCH better prospect than Watson
    2) Brees suffered a torn labrum at the end of that season. There were serious questions about his ability to return, but even despite that the Charges actually offered him a contract to stay.
    3) While good, Brees wasn't BREES yet.

Either way, San Diego was willing to commit $50 million to Brees back then on an incentive deal.

If Tom Savage plays out the season as a fringe top 15 quarterback and the Texans let him go, that will be a huge mistake in my opinion.

Nimo likes this.
  11. T for 3

T for 3 Member

savage playing well would be a bigger miracle than Watson playing well.

Savage isn't being tabbed the starter because he's a competent qb. It's because he's a vet. Duh.

Bob can't wait to glue savage back to the pine, and it will happen quickly.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not really, Savage at least will know the system, that alone gives him a MUCH better shot at playing well than Watson who not only won't know the system but will still be a raw prospect that is just learning how to play in a pro style offense.

13. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Savage isn't an unknown. It's already been established that he sucks. Watson is unknown. He doesn't suck and he isn't great. All he has to do to start is be competent. Naming savage the starter is pure politics,

RasaqBoi likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's not an unknown in that we've seen that he can move the ball decently in this offense, or at least he did before he got hurt. Watson is an unknown, it's not known if he can be even as good as Savage or even as good as Osweiler right now. Honestly, if he was thrown to the wolves his first season, he might not be as good as either.

15. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

Savage. Only way Waston is starting is if the Texans are having a terrible season.

16. Buck Turgidson

What's TJ Yates up to?

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He signed with the Buffalo Bills

18. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Teaching Watson on how to beat the Bengals.

Fullcourt likes this.
  19. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

If he plays average or better and the Texans win Savage will be history. Some team out there will gift him eight digits without thinking twice.

Fullcourt likes this.
  20. solid

solid Contributing Member

The more I think about it, I think Watson will either win the starting position before the season OR, Savage will be injured early on and he replaces him. I really think Watson is playing at the end of the season if not before. Doesn't really make sense, but I think it is going to happen.