1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Practice Makes Perfect

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaneB, Apr 20, 2004.

1. DaneB

DaneB Member

I know a lot of us our bummed that we may get swept, but there are so many positives to come out of this series. For one, this is part of a beginning. All of the great teams in the league now at one time were getting their butts kicked by other teams. Remember Kobe and Shaq getting swept by the Jazz? Now where are the Jazz (out of the playoffs) and where are the Lakers (3 rings later)?! As a fan, Im just glad that I can watch my team in the playoffs after waiting 5 frickin' years!!!

Through these games our team will grow and develop. Somethings I feel like we can wait on such as experience (ie. Mobley fouling Kobe on a 3pt play) and development of our players.

However, I am convinced that we need greater depth and a power forward that can help Yao out down low by blocking shots, rebounding and scoring some. I think we are really weak at our power forward slot. Cato can provide the solid D and rebound, but he is very limited offensively. Maurice Taylor can be a good offensive player, but he is not the tough body we need. I think we need to make a big strong push for a couple of players: Dalembert, Erick Dampier, or Donyell Marshall. What do u guys think?

2. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

Dalembert is a solid player and I've posted about him previously as a great pick up. Don't know about his availability. It's not like he can hit the jumpers Cato can't, but dynamic shot blocker and is just a human pogo stick. Good player.

3. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

EGriffen pre craziness would have been nice too.. remember griffin starting with MoT backing him up? Then Cato coming in to spell Yao for the tough 1 / 2 punch? man what could have been.

J

4. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

Memories are always rosy eh? :)

When EGriffen started... he'd blow layups and shoot threes at a very low percentage, while being muscled around by bigger power forwards. I mean he wasn't horrible, but really the situation wasn't better back then.

5. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

I agree, this series is only gonna help the rox get better because of the experience. Perhaps adding a key player in the offseason and things only will look bright for the Rox.

Seriously, what were we Rox fans expecting anyways? People were talking like we were gonna win this series or something.

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

It's a good experience, and I just hope we can win some games and emerge with a little more dignity than a sweep would suggest. We should be able to do so.

7. AGBee

AGBee Member

Don't forget that under Rudy, Kenny Thomas was often used as a (horrible) 3 pt shooter...how many 3's has he taken in Philly? Close to 0.

8. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

33% is low? It's much higher than Andre Millers..... carry on.

9. dragonsnake

dragonsnake Contributing Member

We need Yao Ming grow as dominant inside player (Scorer/Rebounder/Shock Blocker) than we need power forwards.
    Don't get me wrong, I know PF is a weak spot of Rockets and sure those player you mention will help, but those names are not enough push Rockets to the top. To go to the top, either Yao need to grow up qucik to DOMINANT or we need a star power forwad such as Sheed to completent him. We are fortune that this is only the second season of Yao's NBA career and he still have some rooms to growth. But he need to work on his weakness hard during the off season.

I am not making excuse for Taylor or Yao, but Yao and Mo's weekness are somewhat exposed because their own flaw of game.