1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Powell emails to Clinton regarding email released

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And wow, it is unbelievable!

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/07/politics/hillary-clinton-colin-powell-emails/

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty much proves that she knew what she was doing and she was doing it to avoid FOIA requests, makes it even worse that she chose to send and receive classified information that way.....but clearly she has enough political power to avoid consequences for breaking the law.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You mean "unbelievable" that Colin Powell used a private computer first.

That's some horrible advice he gave her. And here I thought she got advice from some techie on her staff.

And that was as Director of the State Dept. One wonders if he also did it as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff of the Armed Forces. Regardless, if there is any other political figure who should know better, you'd hope it would be the ex-highest ranking general in the Armed services.

4. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Hillary Clinton may very well be the most dishonest and corrupt politician alive on the planet Earth right now.

And a great many of her supporters appear to regard that as a good thing.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

In what was quoted, it reads as him keeping personal email to a personal computer on a personal line.

6. heypartner

Did you not read that Colin Powell thought of it first, and advised her how to do it.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He never told her to send classified information via a private server that she kept in her basement. He used an AOL account and didn't send any classified information using it. Even then, it was a breach of protocol, but not outright illegal like it was for Hillary. That said, I wouldn't want Powell working in any position where he'd have access to classified information ever again knowing the breach of protocol.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's doubtful that Clinton intentionally sent classified information through that channel and it's probably that Powell at times did as well.

The idea that one could manage to be perfect with handling of that many emails and classifications as busy as these guys are is ludicrous.

I think people need to step back and ask how much sense does the system make if two SOS struggle with these policies in the age of technology as simple as email.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What? Wait, let me think...

[​IMG]

DD

10. heypartner

More complete quote from the email.

And that was just what he wrote and admitted to. Sounds like everyone (foreign and domestic) were ok with circumventing official communication channels. Likely, some conversations were more achievable in private. So, could be a level of naive practicality to using private channels.

11. Newlin

Newlin Member

I disagree. Sounds like they were both either being lazy, or they were trying to prevent their communications from being made public someday. They just didn't do things the right way.

12. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Context.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2016/09/14-excerpts-fbis-report-hillary-clintons-email

13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This reminds me a bit of Trump and the alleged suggestion to assassinate Clinton.

Its all about context.

No where did he tell Clinton to use a private email server to circumvent protocol.

What he specifically stated, as anyone in the professional world who has corporate email knows, that she will not have the right of privacy using her State account.

This is not a brilliant idea of any sort. Our unofficial business policy is not to put anything in email that you wouldn't not want known publicly. This is a pretty common sense policy.

My question is why did he need to tell Clinton this? Was she really that out of touch with modern technology that she needed a previous SOS to tell her this? She is a multimillion dollar lawyer and politician. One would think she would have competent advisers.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL doubtful? It's literally not possible that it wasn't intentional, the mental gymnastics you are doing to "stand by your woman" on this is impressive but embarrassing. If she was anyone else, she'd be in jail for what she did.

15. heypartner

He clearly states that he willfully circumvented protocol using a private computer "to do business with some foreign leaders and some of the senior folks in the Department on their personal email accounts."

I can even argue that his method was much more insecure versus her method of at least using a private mail server whereby you can set up secure encryption and your inbox is not stored on some 3rd-party server/cloud. Powell apparently continued using commercial mail servers, which is very bad -- was it really AOL?

16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Not sure what the point of this thread is but my takeaway is that both of them should be arrested for breaking the law assuming no statue of limitations for powell. best case it's what the feds would do to anyone else who did the same.

17. Exiled

Exiled Member

it is maybe the 1st time you didn't immediately pull the trigger to accuse

the Black person involved to be his/her/hir faults

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

All this does is remind me that Powell's three biggest mistakes remain not running for President himself, not volunteering to be Bush's or McCain's running mate, and actually agreeing to be Bush's Secretary of State.

19. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

Cool. Now we have more reasonable understanding why she did what she did. But this is a dead horse that GOPers can't let go. Is it because there is nothing else to attack Clinton on? Peanuts.

20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I am not arguing he didn't circumvent the system. I am stating that he did not tell her to do it. He only stated what he did and reminded her (or warned) that she should not expect privacy to any of her communications on state servers.

I have also stated in previous threads that protocols during those years were very much different than post Private Manning debacle. I dont fault Clinton too much previous to the Private Manning incident as digital security and communications was not taken very serious by the .gov. However after Private Manning, the game changed drastically. NO EXCUSES.

Security involves more than just encryption. Access control is one of the biggest concerns. Hardware platform is another big concern. Running state business out of a server farm provides no guarantee of this of course.