1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Posturing?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JAG, Jul 1, 2001.

1. JAG

JAG Member

Ok, folks, just what we're all looking forward to, another Chris Webber thread...
    But seriously, I'm still amazaed at what I see as a golden opportunity slipping through our fingers.In a newspaper article here today, they gave a case by case breakdown of the top free agents available, and re: Webber, it said ;

" Common perception is he's gone.Watch for the Pacers to make a pitch in a sign and trade;Houston, Detroit and Chicago have enough cap room. The knicks are hugely interseted but don't have the players to satisfy the Kings' demands."

And post after post on NBA wide sites says Houston has the best chance to get him if he leaves Sacramento, but then moves on to other options for the reason that the Rockets are losing interest...This amazes me. What I'm asking is, for those of you who understand this thing better than I, is there ANY reason the Rockets would maintain or leak lack of interest other than it being the case? I'm NOT asking for yet another forum on whether the Rockets should sign Webber or keep Taylor, I know there's great debate on that which has been thoroughly covered. What I'm asking for, even from those who don't want Webber (yes, you too, Cat) is, using your understanding of tactics and Rockets history, is there any reason to posture on this regard? Any reason this leak is just part of the bargaining process?

Oh, and the paper's take on Taylor, much further down the list, under the heading And Then There's...

" A power forward who really doesn't rebound well probably won't get a lot of sniffs when he gets out on the market. And if Houston finds some way to convince Webber to sign up, it's bye, bye Maurice."
    Nothing terribly original there, just thought an outside perspective might be interesting...

------------------

2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Now that I am thinking about it, Krause might not be as stupid as it seems. I was wondering why he would trade Elton Brand for Tyson Chandler. Now I think I understand:

He is going for Webber.

PG: Crawford
    SG: Mercer
    SF: Chandler/Artest
    PF: Webber
    C: Curry

If Chandler and Curry are as good as they are supposed to be, this is not a bad lineup...of course, they will still not win for a few years.

I hope that will not happen, but if Webber doesn't go to the Rockets, that would be alright, because at least he would go to a team where he wouldn't help them win a championship.

------------------
    Rockets' offseason tasks in order of priority:
    • Get rid of Cato under any circumstances.
    • Sign Chris Webber.
    • Re-Sign Hakeem.
    • Re-Sign Moochie and AirBullard.
    • Pick up the Langhi option for another year.
    • Trade for Bo Outlaw and Raef LaFrentz.

.....-'-.
    ../`.....|__
    /`....--`-,-`
    '-|`...o.'<-....[]
    ..\....._\__).\=`
    ...C_..`....,_/
    .....|.;----'

come back with your original name...now that everyone is changing their screen names anyway :)

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I just read in Clutch's article that the Bulls might also be interested in Shandon. I wouldn't mind if they took him off our hands and wasted their cap space like that.

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

He is going for Webber.

Chicago paper reports directly the opposite. Krause learned from no one signing with him last year, so he's just going after some veterans this year and not the high profile guys. Besides, Webber has said time after time that he would not sign with a rebuilding team, and that he wanted to win a championship. I don't care how much "talent" that Bulls team would have, Webber won't wait 3 years for them to develop. Webber won't be heading to Chicago.

Jag,

There's no reason for the Rockets to posture here. In fact, it would greatly hurt their future free agency plans if they were, because they have made it clear to Mo, Moochie, and others that they do want them back. To show their appreciation, players like Mo are giving them first chance over everyone. Read last night's Chronicle story for details. If the Rockets were to go back on their word and tell them all to "hit the road, we're looking elsewhere for free agents", it would negatively affect their reputation with free agents throughout the league.

------------------
    EDDIE, EDDIE, EDDIE!!!

Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Just wondering, I haven't read in that story that the Rockets have "given their word" to Mo, Moochie and others to bring them back. I would understand if there is a common understanding that, if the commercial terms are right, both sides would welcome some kind of agreement, but how can they give their word when they haven't even talked about money?

Regarding Webber not going to Chicago, even better. Let's still try to sign him.

6. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Gotta go with Cat on this one. NO WAY the Rockets risk alienating anyone. Besides, there have been suggestions that the Rockets are not convinced Webber is worth all the money. They wouldn't intimate that and expect Webber to come here.

This is more about really showing their free agents loyalty than about posturing for Webber.

------------------
    How the hell should I know why God would allow the Holocaust. I don't even know how the electric can opener works. - from Hannah and Her Sisters

7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Just wondering, I haven't read in that story that the Rockets have "given their word" to Mo, Moochie and others to bring them back.

Perhaps they haven't literally given their word, but if you read quotes from Mo and others it is obvious they have some reason to believe that the Rockets want them back. They wouldn't be not talking to 28 other teams if that were the case. Mo is taking a risk by avoiding all other teams to talk to the Rockets first, and imho, the Rockets would look pretty bad if after all that they told him to essentially "get lost".

------------------
    EDDIE, EDDIE, EDDIE!!!

Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Just want to say that if we do NOT sign Webber (and from all you are saying that is the way it looks), I do think even more that we should re-sign Hakeem. I'm alright with signing Mo Taylor for a few million (shouldn't be more than what Cat gets) and signing Hakeem for another year or two.

If that happens, however, I would think it would be even more important to trade for Bo Outlaw. Mo, Kenny, Bo, Hakeem, Collier sharing minutes in the frontcourt sounds alright to me. A bit undersized, but you have offense (Mo, Kenny, Hakeem), defense - I mean rebounding, shotblocking (Bo, Hakeem) and the ability to draw the opponent's big man away from the basket (Collier). However, if you don't have Hakeem and Bo, that frontcourt seriously lacks shotblocking and rebounding. (That would be another thing we would have with Webber as well, by the way.)

9. haven

haven Member

I hope it's not posturing.

Achebe may think I'm a sentimental fool, but I've been enjoying this wuv fest. It's so refreshing after looking at the rest of the NBA.

Players that actually want to be here for reasons other than money? Amazing! Teammates that like each other? Remarkable!

If Houston breaks this up, even for Webber, I'll be annoyed.

------------------
    Clutchcity.net... source for all your Rockets, Astros, political, music, humor, and Gordita news.

[This message has been edited by haven (edited July 01, 2001).]