1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Post your grocery bill

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by codell, Jan 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For just the wife and I It's between $160 - $200 depending on which wine we buy and if we also go to Costco.

We usually shop at a combination of Vallarta, Trader Joes, Ralph's (Kroger's), Shop, Super King, and/or Target. We always go to at least two of those stores and often three of them.

We eat out on average twice a week.

Sometimes we splurge on special steaks or our own butchered blend of ground beef and that would up our price a bit.

2. The Boz

The Boz Member

Family of three although my collage attending son rarely eats at home. $200 every two weeks at Kroger. No coupons but we do buy from the sale paper. Atascocita HEB too crowded.

3. Asian Sensation

About $350 per month for myself. About $150 per month at Costco for quality protein, eggs, veggies, whatever else might look good. Another 50 bucks per week at trader joes/Walmart etc for fresh produce, snacks, whatever else I want or run out of.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

There are only one or two decent grocery chains in my current locale and shipping costs make stuff a little more costly, I haven't seen a ribeye for less than $13 - $15, like shopping at Randall's on Memorial. When I lived in Omaha they were around $6 - $7 and I would just stock up for the whole week or so. Nowadays I think between the two steaks, pack of chicken thighs, pound of Italian sausage, two or three 16 oz packs of noodles and six two liters of non-alcoholic drinks it might be between $40 - $50/week, then take out a couple of times a week just to get to know the place.

5. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Family of 3 - Me, Wife, and 2 year old daughter.

About $100-$120/week at Kroger. We get a lot of takeout/delivery from Vietnamese and Italian restaurants nearby. Neither of us cook much, so we don't eat nearly as healthy as we should. Lots of easy/quick to make items, and snacks. We really need to start making more of an effort to plan out and cook meals. It's just so damn hard after working all day.

#45 Harrisment, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  6. Buck Turgidson

My grocery bills are only printed on free range antibiotic/hormone free organic vegan paper, which I then compost.

How can you put a price on that?

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Family of six. Plus pets.
    Spend more than most here.
    Not sure how much.
    Depending on the time of year I'm sure I could be spending $10-$20 a week on strawberries alone. Kids destroy those suckers.

Wish we could spend less... But too many dependents!

8. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

Family of 3 w/ wife and 1-year old.

Not including pet food - about $300/week. We also subscribe to Blue Apron and do the 3-meal a week plan for an extra $50/week.

We shop at a corner grocery market and walk there every Sunday evening with baby in tow to buy groceries for the week. We've been there so often that we are now friendly with the owner and all of the employees. They even stock certain foods at our request - like when we experimented with a gluten free diet they created a small gluten free section. When our baby began drinking some grass-fed organic milk, they stocked that for us too.

In fact, we stopped in after work just before Christmas b/c wife needed an onion or something to make dinner that night. I ran in while she sat in the car and the store owner presented me with a magnum of a pretty exclusive Cab that I'd been eyeing for a while as a thank you for being such good customers. The face my wife made when I came back to the car with an onion and this wine bottle was hilarious.

9. Play07

Play07 Member

me & wife $120 every 2 weeks Krogers or HEB .... no telling how much once our baby is born

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Might a recommend a crock pot? For a family with both parents working, they will make your life a lot easier.

You can make all kinds of **** in a crock pot. Soups, Chilis, Stews, Pork Chops, Roasts, Pulled Pork, etc.

My wife will usually prepare them in the evening, get everything ready and then stick it in the fridge overnight with a little wrap over the top. Then just take it out of the fridge in the morning, and let it cook all day. You come home to a fresh cooked meal.

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Seconded on the Slow Cooker.

Bought my girl a large one, that can hold an entire chicken etc. She's cooked some damn good meals in it in the past month or so.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I forgot to add that we probably pick up $25-50 worth of baby food/diapers and other sundries from Amazon on a monthly basis that would have been from the grocery store.

13. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

About $130 a week. Me and the wife. We are currently eating whole30 and haven't been eating out. Prior, we were going out to eat 3 or 4 times a week. Cutting back on it shows how much cheaper it is to eat at home.

14. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

given the sharp decline in fuel and transportation costs - when will we begin to see some price drops on the grocery side.

Seems like they have been holding firm.

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

Plot twist: the nanny is his wife

16. Juxtaposed Jolt

One step further should be taken: in that receipt total, find out what was spent on essentials vs nonessentials.

Diapers vs ice cream
    Water vs chips, etc.

That would be a fun experiment.

17. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

just me. maybe $40/week. chicken and family pack pork chops are cheap. along with rice and frozen veggies food is very inexpensive.

18. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

We actually do have a small crock pot, and the times we've used it have been a big success. I think you have the right idea, and we need to just get a larger one and start doing this as a regular thing.

19. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

in general it is easy to eat cheap. it's not easy to find untainted animal products unless you go looking for it/pay for it. that's what's frustrating about america compared to the rest of the first world

20. Outlier

Outlier Member

Isnt there something unhealthy about always having your food cooked from a slow cooker? Please educate me.